Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB

Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   DIY Rally Armor Mudflaps (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79761)

phobos512 12-26-2014 02:52 PM

DIY Rally Armor Mudflaps
 
So I looked for a DIY for the Rally Armor mudflaps and couldn't find one so I decided to do my own. A few things first - one, I tried to be clever and use my panel removal tools to pop out the plastic rivets. They didn't help; too flexible. Two, if you are hand with a jack, take the rear wheels off. I have average to large hands and it was not very fun getting the screws tight, particularly on the left side (I am left handed).

I used a small flathead screwdriver, a small Philips screwdriver and an offset screwdriver to do this, along with the parts that came in the kit.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps5fc6b2fb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps57b7395f.jpg

I did the fronts starting with the left, and then did the rears starting with the right. I started the car and crank the wheel all the way left to give myself room to work. I left the car running for the fronts as it was cold and I didn't want to start it and stop it twice.

For the fronts you remove the top three screw pop rivets and two rivets underneath the wheel well on either side of the pinch weld.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps5ae386fa.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...pse5e4ef86.jpg

The top rivets unscrew about half a turn and can then be pried out (the head is flimsy but they're not reused so you can just yank them out).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps76673593.jpg

The rivets underneath just get the center pried up and then they pop out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps96e8de26.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...pseaa9717f.jpg

Once all the rivets are out the black clips get placed over the white fender plastic underneath the liner. I took the opportunity to clean that area since it was accessible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps55a1e9b2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps132912b5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps2b179d6e.jpg

Once the clips are in place you can take the bracket and put it in place.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps8537a621.jpg

It mounts underneath the fender across the pinch weld with the two pop rivets. The other mounting hole face down and to the inside of the wheel well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps564d3a63.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psdf35e31b.jpg

Place another black clip on the mounting hole on the bracket in the wheel well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps173eaf18.jpg

With the bracket done take three long screws, one short screw, four washers and the mudflap and mount it up. The short screw and a washer go on the inside mounting hole and the long screws with a washer each go on the upper holes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps421da2cb.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psb83028e5.jpg

Tighten them up most of the way, make sure the mudflap is straight and finish tightening them. It might help before tightening the inside screw to crank the wheel back over to the right, which will enable tightening with a full size screwdriver.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps7d34b678.jpg

Repeat for the other side.

On the left side of the car the mudflaps will tend to go outward when tightening, and inward on the right side. Keep this in mind when you are doing the other ones to line everything up.

For the rears, there's less to take apart and fewer things to add, but less room to do it in. Unless, like I said, you're handy with a jack and you take the wheels off. I did not.

The first thing on the rears is to pull out the first pop rivet underneath the fender right at the back of the wheel well, which joins the fender to the wheel well liner. This pop rivet is larger than the others and harder to remove, but it'll come out with some work. Whatever tool you use to pop the rivet, make sure you don't mar the fender.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psb4a3402f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps59845fa4.jpg

With the pop rivet out (and after cleaning the area) slide the bracket in place between the black wheel well liner and the fender.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps4dadb7f8.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps3e85a1d6.jpg

Then pop the rivet back into place through the fender, bracket and liner. Make sure you get the rivet through all three before popping the rivet closed (twisting helps).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...psa7f4bb02.jpg

With the bracket in place, pop three black clips into place. The top one goes on the fender plastic only; the middle goes across the fender and the bracket, and the bottom just goes on the bracket. Next, two large screws and one small screw, all with washers. Top and middle get long screws, bottom gets a short screw. Use the offset screwdriver to tighten them down.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps1aeb09c2.jpg

Repeat on the other side making sure they're lined up as close to the same as possible. Put your tools away and enjoy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps791707a1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps164e1166.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ps8b510508.jpg

SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR 12-29-2014 05:11 AM

nice little project for a Sunday afternoon

LucidMomentum 12-29-2014 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR (Post 2071064)
nice little project for a Sunday afternoon

Yep! I didn't have my wheels off and it took me about an hour. Totally worth it but a small warning - if you drive in the rain, prepare for the flaps to throw all kinds of dirty water at the side panels :/

Chanpion 12-29-2014 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucidMomentum (Post 2071328)
Yep! I didn't have my wheels off and it took me about an hour. Totally worth it but a small warning - if you drive in the rain, prepare for the flaps to throw all kinds of dirty water at the side panels :/

Isn't that what mudflaps are supposed to stop, this and flinging dirt at other cars?
Actual question though, do the Rally Amours keep the panels behind it clean or do you think a st of mud guards/ splash guards would do a better job? Trying to go function over form, event though the red mud flaps look amazing.

LucidMomentum 12-29-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chanpion (Post 2071507)
Isn't that what mudflaps are supposed to stop, this and flinging dirt at other cars?
Actual question though, do the Rally Amours keep the panels behind it clean or do you think a st of mud guards/ splash guards would do a better job? Trying to go function over form, event though the red mud flaps look amazing.

Oh they work, no worries there. I drive in the oil fields so there are days when the roads have tons of rocks and mud on them. When I was my car there's always a large amount of mud and dirt coming off the flaps. Much more than what is on the car :p

However in the rain, due to the heigt of the car there's not a lot of space for water to go and when it hits the flaps some of it hits the side panels. Especially if you like to drift a bit in the rain :D It's not going to save you from having to wash the car, but it'll save you from rocks and heavy mud buildup on the side panels.

I got these guards because they're flexible, since I drive over a lot of rocks.

kberkel 12-30-2014 08:05 PM

Nice tut. I was going to install the rears, but didn't have a ratchet like yours.

I've grown to like having the fronts only. They look great year around.

Interesting exhaust cutout plug. Are you going to blend it?

phobos512 12-31-2014 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LucidMomentum (Post 2071547)
Oh they work, no worries there. I drive in the oil fields so there are days when the roads have tons of rocks and mud on them. When I was my car there's always a large amount of mud and dirt coming off the flaps. Much more than what is on the car :p

However in the rain, due to the heigt of the car there's not a lot of space for water to go and when it hits the flaps some of it hits the side panels. Especially if you like to drift a bit in the rain :D It's not going to save you from having to wash the car, but it'll save you from rocks and heavy mud buildup on the side panels.

I got these guards because they're flexible, since I drive over a lot of rocks.

Well rain is rain. Car's going to get wet in rain. You don't buy mudflaps to keep you car dry, you buy them to keep debris kicked up by the tires from schwacking your fenders, which is what these will help with as @LucidMomentum noted.

phobos512 12-31-2014 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kberkel (Post 2072921)
Nice tut. I was going to install the rears, but didn't have a ratchet like yours.

I've grown to like having the fronts only. They look great year around.

Interesting exhaust cutout plug. Are you going to blend it?

You can get an offset screwdriver at any hardware and some autoparts stores for under $10. You can also use a magnetic screwdriver or drill bit in a socket wrench to accomplish the same thing in a pinch (might not fit here though).

As far as the delete panel...well, it's carbon fiber - it's supposed to stand out ;)

http://www.innovateddynamics.com/pro...e-frs-brz-gt86

JCE17 12-31-2014 10:47 AM

Thanks for posting this. I received these as a Christmas present and plan on putting them on this weekend.

phobos512 12-31-2014 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JCE17 (Post 2073395)
Thanks for posting this. I received these as a Christmas present and plan on putting them on this weekend.

No problem. They were a present for me as well. If anything comes up feel free to shoot a PM, but I think now having done it it's all pretty straight forward.

Timmy_Jones 12-31-2014 11:52 AM

Do you rally your car often? Are you going to install the lift springs along with this kit? What kind of tires do you run, for offroad?

phobos512 01-01-2015 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones (Post 2073443)
Do you rally your car often? Are you going to install the lift springs along with this kit? What kind of tires do you run, for offroad?

Don't be a douche in my thread. :paddle:

FRSfan111 01-01-2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones (Post 2073443)
Do you rally your car often? Are you going to install the lift springs along with this kit? What kind of tires do you run, for offroad?

Bro, do you even troll?

Timmy_Jones 01-03-2015 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phobos512 (Post 2074578)
Don't be a douche in my thread. :paddle:

I was just curious, there is a rally racing course up in New Hampshire. Otherwise, why would you install these?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:00 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.