Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Report: BRZ STI Model Already in the Works, No Turbocharger (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4504)

Sport-Tech 03-28-2012 08:38 AM

Report: BRZ STI Model Already in the Works, No Turbocharger

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...i_planned.html

No turbocharger:
Quote:

It is likely to produce around 250bhp. "We can definitely develop the intake system," Atake said. "There is certainly room for improvement there." In addition, there is likely to be a freer-flowing exhaust and modifications to the engine's variable valve control system, along with an even higher rev limit of around 7,500rpm.
Full article:
Quote:

Subaru has given the biggest hint yet that it is developing a hot STI version of its BRZ sports car – and there's a roadster on the way too.

Talking to Auto Express at the launch of the new rear-wheel drive coupe, global marketing manager Atoshi Atake, said: "We have already had many requests from interested customers regarding a faster version. Let me say this - we will certainly satisfy our customers. We are already working on a faster version."

The new range-topping model is expected to take inspiration from the STI concept revealed at the 2011 Los Angeles Motor Show. Under the bonnet will be a more powerful version of the 197bhp 2.0-litre flat-four cylinder 'boxer' from the standard car.

It is likely to produce around 250bhp. "We can definitely develop the intake system," Atake said. "There is certainly room for improvement there." In addition, there is likely to be a freer-flowing exhaust and modifications to the engine's variable valve control system, along with an even higher rev limit of around 7,500rpm.

Subaru says that it will not turbocharge the engine as there is no space at the front of the engine bay for an intercooler. "Plus, we want to keep turbocharging separate. It is for models like the WRX STI," said Atake. "The same goes for four-wheel drive. We could not make the BRZ four-wheel drive even if we wanted to." He also said that supercharging had been dismissed because it would make the BRZ too heavy on fuel.

As well as more power, the BRZ STI is set to weigh even less than the 1,250kg standard car, thanks to racing bucket seats and potentially a carbonfibre roof and bonnet, which will further help to lower the car's centre of gravity. Other tweaks will include a dramatic bodykit, stiffened and lowered suspension, lighter but larger 18-inch alloy wheels and upgraded brakes.

When asked if it was possible to make a convertible version of the BRZ, Atake said: "Yes, that is certainly possible. We already have pillarless doors - you can imagine how removing the roof would make the car look."

Subaru and Toyota have a global sales target of 100,000 models per year for the BRZ, and its sister car, the GT 86. Both cars go on sale in the UK in June, but sales have already begun in Japan where Subaru has sold 3,551 models in the last two months - four times what it expected.

NERO 03-28-2012 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scion FR-S (Post 167915)

So the same things that the aftermarket community will end up doing and I don't have to wait 2 years. Either way it's fine with me.

Hanzo 03-28-2012 08:46 AM

So glad they are not going the force induction rout!

zigzagz94 03-28-2012 08:53 AM

250 NA with a slight weight reduction would be perfect for my intended purposes...

hope they release it next year and not at the mid-cycle refresh.

Subaruwrxfan 03-28-2012 10:05 AM

Sweet, I was hoping to hear something like this. That means almost all of that power can be accomplished in the aftermarket. I knew there was some N/A potential left in this motor without building it. Means we should get some nice gains from a good intake and exhaust.

powertrip 03-28-2012 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subaruwrxfan (Post 167968)
Sweet, I was hoping to hear something like this. That means almost all of that power can be accomplished in the aftermarket. I knew there was some N/A potential left in this motor without building it. Means we should get some nice gains from a good intake and exhaust.

Don't get your hopes up. To eek out another 50hp on this motor would likely entail more aggressive variable timing, tuning, higher redline, and probably boring out the motor.

I/H/E/tune on a 2.0L, you might, might get 20hp tops. but dont count on it. The car is pretty well optimized at 200, any gains will be expensive and require mods that are generally best done by the factory.

IntenseDVDA 03-28-2012 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzagz94 (Post 167922)
250 NA with a slight weight reduction would be perfect for my intended purposes...

hope they release it next year and not at the mid-cycle refresh.

I would be very surprised if they released this version next year. We'll see.

Hanzo 03-28-2012 10:17 AM

There is no reason for them to rush this. The current spec car is selling like hot cakes in Japan and is about to in the rest of the world.

switchlanez 03-28-2012 11:04 AM

It's crazy that they're leaking this info this early before the base model is released! Won't have to wait as long as I expected. No FI means less rapid heating/cooling (reliability)... always good for the head gaskets.

G-Man 03-28-2012 11:08 AM

this makes me happy

KevinDuMa 03-28-2012 11:18 AM

It makes much more sense, BRZ is the NA, lightweight, rwd coupe and the WRX will be the awd turbo monster

86'd 03-28-2012 11:26 AM

This would almost make it a Cayman. And I'm sure, as much as I'd like one, it'd be too expensive for me. At least the cost of an WRX STI.

I've had a hunch from the beginning though and looking at the dynos so far, that there is some breathing room up top. I think (and hope) we'll be surprised on what a few mods and a tune will do.

zigzagz94 03-28-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by switchlanez (Post 168010)
It's crazy that they're leaking this info this early before the base model is released! Won't have to wait as long as I expected.

The fact that all of these people in official capacity for Subaru are already talking about higher performance versions, coupled with Toyota saying they want to release a different variant every year, makes me also believe this "BRZ STi" will show up sooner rather than later.

ZetaVI 03-28-2012 11:29 AM

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...lopment-report