Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Turbo exhaust suggestions, please (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128149)

Turbo 06-06-2018 08:28 PM

Turbo exhaust suggestions, please

To the guys running turbos - what are you running for exhaust?

Is there anything out there that will give the car that super deep exhaust throb that the guys in WRX STi's seem to have?

The system the previous owner put on my car sounds a bit tin-ny - that is, when it isn't droning like crazy. It's driving me nuts, so I've gotta change it up.

Is there a sound-clip database for turbo cars that I just can't find with the search?

Timmy_Jones 06-07-2018 08:30 AM

I am inclined to think it has to do with exhaust diameter. I seem to notice that going from a 3" exhaust to a 2.5" exhaust really changes volume and low end bass. The 3" was louder and absolutely had more bass. Any idea whats on there now? grab a caliper and check, if its 2.5" or less, the 3" really should change the sound (I would address the muffler/resonators as well).

Sarang 06-07-2018 10:20 AM

That throb is fron the STIs unequal length headers. If you do not have that, no throb for you.

thecarfilmer 06-09-2018 05:10 PM

im running the JDL UEL V2 turbo kit and with my exhaust setup, it almost sounds similar.

so it goes the uel manifold, tomei overpipe, invidia catless front pipe and greddy rs race 3in catback

CSG Mike 06-09-2018 09:39 PM

I do 360whp on a stock front pipe and stock catback.

Are you sure you need an exhaust?

Alltezza 06-09-2018 11:12 PM

I think the best performing one would be Tomei Type 80

If you're looking for that deep exhaust I think you're looking for the Perrin one with UELs

JimmyMac 06-10-2018 04:00 PM

If you don't like droning, don't go for the Tomei Type 80 or basically any single exit exhaust. They can be LAF!! hehe

tyler_win_photo 06-10-2018 04:39 PM

Perrin 3" would give you a nice deep sound.

NRXRaptor 06-10-2018 04:40 PM

did op died?

Turbo 06-11-2018 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NRXRaptor (Post 3097292)
did op died?

From ear-drum damage, yes :bonk:

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 3097104)

My car is certainly a lot tamer then yours, Mike.

However, the aftermarket exhaust currently on the car drones like hell and is a bit too loud - so I've got to do something. Beyond the drone (which happens between 2,000-3,000rpm under load or not) it actually doesn't sound that bad at all. A bit loud, perhaps but installing the 'silencers' helps with that.

The exhaust on the car right now is the "Spec-D Tuning" catback. It appears to be a no-name copy of the Invidia N1.

I've tossed around the idea of making a new mid-pipe with a high-quality resonator to see if that solves the problem, but would love to hear other thoughts.

Anyone else have experience with this particular exhaust ?

tyler_win_photo 06-11-2018 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turbo (Post 3097416)
From ear-drum damage, yes :bonk:

My car is certainly a lot tamer then yours, Mike.

However, the aftermarket exhaust currently on the car drones like hell and is a bit too loud - so I've got to do something. Beyond the drone (which happens between 2,000-3,000rpm under load or not) it actually doesn't sound that bad at all. A bit loud, perhaps but installing the 'silencers' helps with that.

The exhaust on the car right now is the "Spec-D Tuning" catback. It appears to be a no-name copy of the Invidia N1.

I've tossed around the idea of making a new mid-pipe with a high-quality resonator to see if that solves the problem, but would love to hear other thoughts.

Anyone else have experience with this particular exhaust ?

If you haven't already you can try a dual resonator in the front pipe. It would help with the drone.

JimmyMac 06-11-2018 02:03 AM

I've run the Invidia N1 in the past (before I had a turbo) and it was drone city. I've tried all sorts of front pipes to get rid of it, but none have helped. For the most part, they just shifted the drone up the rpm range. Never got rid of it. I just got used to shifting sooner at lower speeds to stay out of the drone zone, but at highway speeds there was no avoiding it. Went back to the stock catback and it was sooo peaceful! haha

Then I went turbo I jumped on an 80R just because. Ears were bleeding (I guess I'm just old haha). Back to stock catback and NA, but thinking of trying a supercharger next year after I finish building my motor. More than likely I'll stick with the stock catback and frontpipe or try a Blitz catback.

Now don't get me wrong, I did love the N1. Especially at idle. Sounded nice and got a lot of compliments on it. But on road trips it just got old fast. You can try a larger/better resonator as you suggested, but I think part of the drone comes from the straight through canister style muffler. Silencers did help with sound and drone in past cars, but I could never get them to fit correctly on the N1. Plus I felt like I lost some bottom end when I had them installed.

BrQ 06-11-2018 02:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 3097104)

That's not even what he asked.

Jmorph 06-27-2018 07:42 PM

Same situation here, current exhaust way too loud/drone with turbo. I was looking at q300 to quiet it down, thoughts?