Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   2014 Cars slightly more expensive? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3944)

Buggy51 02-29-2012 03:38 AM

2014 Cars slightly more expensive?

http://jalopnik.com/5889007/the-gove...every-cars-ass

So, assuming this law is passed, yay or nay?

I mean... I guess this can be a new 2014 FRS/BRZ feature... >_>

Dark 02-29-2012 05:09 AM

I don't really mind. If my dad or my sis takes my car for a drive, this would be useful for them since they are not familiar with my car.

OrbitalEllipses 02-29-2012 06:40 AM

The problem is the fisheye lens. Those cameras, from what I've experienced anyway, skew your perception of space and people fuck up parking anyway. Yeah they're fish-eyed so you can see a car coming down the lane, but if it's not helping...

Buggy51 02-29-2012 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses (Post 144853)
The problem is the fisheye lens. Those cameras, from what I've experienced anyway, skew your perception of space and people fuck up parking anyway. Yeah they're fish-eyed so you can see a car coming down the lane, but if it's not helping...

Well, its more for stopping people from well... running over people lol

cassidy0998 02-29-2012 10:06 AM

"federal regulators are poised to enact a rule requiring that all passenger vehicles be equipped with rear-view cameras starting in 2014."

This doesn't say new vehicles are required to come with it does it?

So does that mean we're going to be forced to install janky little cameras on the back of our old vehicles?

Mitch 02-29-2012 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassidy0998 (Post 144913)
"federal regulators are poised to enact a rule requiring that all passenger vehicles be equipped with rear-view cameras starting in 2014."

So does that mean we're going to be forced to install janky little cameras on the back of our old vehicles?

No. These rules only affect new vehicles, just like people weren't required to retrofit airbags into cars sold without them before they were mandated.

Lonewolf 02-29-2012 12:12 PM

It will end up adding more than 150 to 200 dollars to the price of a car...just watch. Dash and other interfaces will be altered/modified to accept the display.

Further, now people will grow to rely just on the camera which is even more dangerous than not having the camera (many won't be watching for cars that are coming from either side of you).

*Things like seatbelts and airbags are good safety requirements, this is not.

Buggy51 02-29-2012 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cassidy0998 (Post 144913)

Well, it does say that all new vehicles are required, but as Mitch says, its only for the new ones. Older vehicles are grandfathered in.

old greg 02-29-2012 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonewolf (Post 144982)
It will end up adding more than 150 to 200 dollars to the price of a car...just watch. Dash and other interfaces will be altered/modified to accept the display.

Further, now people will grow to rely just on the camera which is even more dangerous than not having the camera (many won't be watching for cars that are coming from either side of you).

*Things like seatbelts and airbags are good safety requirements, this is not.

This.

GenkiElite 02-29-2012 09:19 PM

If they make the cameras mandatory it would be safe to assume they are considerd "safety equipment" With that said if your safety equipment isn't functioning properly you could potentially be ticketed for it. I don't want a ticket or the added cost of freaking camera. I have three mirrors and the old over the shoulder for that.

S2kphile 02-29-2012 09:24 PM

I fear that if this passes, initially it'll be a good thing but eventually it'll breed lazy idiots that are to reliant on technology because it creates a "safer" environment. The bottom percent ruins it for the rest of us. Regulate your own ass and be careful when driving a motor vehicle.