Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Sunroof on FRS/BRZ (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5004)

fitcious 04-14-2012 05:33 PM

Sunroof on FRS/BRZ

Hi guys,

I've been a long time lurker on this forum.

I am still debating if I like the FRS or BRZ more...different aspects of each one attracts me.

But anyways, the only thing that bothers me is the lack of a sunroof..even as an option. I know it adds weight and costs to it..but it shouldn't affect performance by that much? if an RX8 can have it..why not the FRS/BRZ? i would imagine BRZ would offer it in their top end model..but disappointment.

Do you guys think it might be offer in the future as an option?

IceCreamMan 04-14-2012 05:39 PM

If you are buying the brz/frs, you wouldn't get it with a sunroof. For a car that touts its super low CoG, adding weight to the top of the car would be an abomination. If you really want one, could always just get the roofless one that is coming out at some point....

Genomaxter 04-14-2012 05:54 PM

I dont want one, ever.

I have one on my current Celica, I dont use it. Its a waste of space and weight.

Subie 04-14-2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genomaxter (Post 183291)
I dont want one, ever.

I have one on my current Celica, I dont use it. Its a waste of space and weight.

Exactly. It eats away headroom, adds weight, and adds unnecessary cost if a standard item. A sunroof would be out of place on a car like this; a convertible would be more befitting a la Mazda's Miata.

switchlanez 04-14-2012 06:10 PM

The low CoG target was the primary reason the designers axed the sunroof option.

My first car (also a Celica) had a sunroof and I thought it was neat at first. But I hardly used it even living in SoCal; opening the windows all the way provided ample open air effect. The sunroof rails became squeaky/collected dust which I had to clean regularly so I just stopped using it altogether. I'm not a convertible fan, but I had an MR2 Spyder and appreciated going top down in the San Diego sun once in a while. A sunroof is nothing compared to a convertible. So I say either get the hardtop or wait for the convertible. "Built by passion, not by committee." Sunroof is something a committee would want but passion says it's a useless compromise between a hardtop and convertible.

Sasquachulator 04-14-2012 06:24 PM

its also probably a bit difficult to get a working normal sized sunroof with that 'double bubble' roof design.

I have one but i also hardly use it.
Its nice to get the sun shining from the roof when its sunny though, to brighten up the cabin.

Allch Chcar 04-14-2012 06:53 PM

The roof is too curved for a sunroof.

:D

Bristecom 04-14-2012 07:17 PM

Yeah, a sunroof/moonroof is unlikely on this car. I do like moonroofs because they let more light in and you can pop them open for a little more airflow but I'd probably rather not have one on a car like this. Besides, mine keeps popping out and rattling even though I've tried to tighten it and realign it several times. So it's one less thing that can go wrong.

IceCreamMan 04-14-2012 08:50 PM

I actually have one in my SRT4 and like others have said, it hardly ever gets used so I'm perfectly fine not ever having one again

Grip Ronin 04-15-2012 09:23 PM

both of my cars have working sunroofs and i very rarely use them anymore. you can live without it

S2kphile 04-15-2012 09:50 PM

My cars either never had them or they were straight top down car. Even if it had them; to me it'll be a novelty that I probably won't use after a while. Although, a panoramic sunroof would be nice like in the TC; just to let in a bit of sun.

csaba 04-15-2012 09:53 PM

i have it on my TC never use it

quik1987 04-15-2012 09:56 PM

No.

Xdragonxb0i 04-15-2012 10:42 PM

what they said ^^^

i never liked the sunroof, just allowed the sun the shine on me, and doesnt really add a breeze. i just roll with the windows down