Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Oil Temp Monitor Set Up (Stacking Sandwich Plates) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120831)

Kayysonie 07-31-2017 10:18 AM

Oil Temp Monitor Set Up (Stacking Sandwich Plates)

EDIT:

I think I found the solution from another thread.
I could just change the Perrin Sandwich plate with the TRD plate as someone suggested in other thread. But for $150 its a steep price.
I will think about the set up and see if I wanna go that way.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showp...99&postcount=4

Also, does anyone know where to put the sensor? Before Oil goes to the cooler, or after it goes to the cooler?
I would say after just so I know how cool the oil goes to the engine, but before tells me when I should be backing off that my oil cooler is not cooling faster than I heat up the oil.

Get it?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before you close the window, this is not about where I should put my sensor.

So currently I am using the OFT as to monitor my temperature at the track. However, I am using one of those amazon switch OBD2 so I can turn off the OFT. Well when I have ride along in track days, my passenger tends to hit the switch and turns off the OFT.

My plan is to add a Perrin temp gauge and sensor separately just to read temp. I can daisy chain it to my Perrin Oil Pressure and Im glad Perrin made it possible with just one wire. but I still have to route the temp sensor.
However, my current set up, I am limited to where to put the temp sensor.

I have the following:

1. Perrin Oil Cooler with the thermostatic plate and sandwich plate
2. Perrin Oil Pressure Sensor/Gauge installed in the Oil Galley Plug near the AC condenser.

My idea is to get another perrin sandwich plate that have bungs to put a sensor for pressure and temp. I am satisfied where my oil pressure is located so this would only be for temp.

Here is a picture of the set up I am looking into. Adding a second sandwich plate between the oil filter and thermostatic plate seems an okay idea but there is more added risk of where for the oil to leak.

What do you guys think?

http://i.imgur.com/3wzzHMd.png

JazzleSAURUS 07-31-2017 10:35 AM

Anything you do to space stuff out like this has an added inherit risk. If one plate has a faulty o ring, it's more likely to blow out.

If I wanted both oil pressure and temp, I'd use a galley plug with a braided hose and set up a remote sensor.

Something like this: https://www.rallysportdirect.com/par...IaAqlrEALw_wcB

Add a brass 1/8" NPT T and you'll be able to run temp and pressure right off the same galley plug you always have.

OND 07-31-2017 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayysonie (Post 2954495)
Well when I have ride along in track days, my passenger tends to hit the switch and turns off the OFT.

Move the switch??

Kayysonie 07-31-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OND (Post 2954508)
Move the switch??

Oh shit. didnt think of that.

I already had plans to add a temp sensor no matter what, so your suggestion is moot.

nunonuna 07-31-2017 11:31 AM

Greddy has sensor adapter that can be added in between port & oil line of oil cooler. If thread pitch matches, this can be good item, but Im not sure if this will fit in perrin one.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bfd35dc6a2.jpg

Kayysonie 07-31-2017 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nunonuna (Post 2954529)
Greddy has sensor adapter that can be added in between port & oil line of oil cooler. If thread pitch matches, this can be good item, but Im not sure if this will fit in perrin one.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...bfd35dc6a2.jpg

I couldnt find any info about this product. Do you have a part number or link?

DustinS 07-31-2017 04:27 PM

Remove the Dummy Oil Pressure switch from the front cover and put your oil temp sensor there. The sensor turns the light in the gauge cluster on at 0 psi. Engine is dead at that point anyway. You also have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to monitor.

nunonuna 07-31-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayysonie (Post 2954650)
I couldnt find any info about this product. Do you have a part number or link?

I think 12401178 is part number.

dchan 07-31-2017 07:59 PM

I shoved my oil temperature sensor at the oil galley plug at the top of the engine block, and put an oil pressure sensor at the stock dummy one (and removed the stock one). I would like to swap their locations, but I couldn't find an adaptor that the oil temperature sensor fits through for the stock oil pressure sensor location.

It's not the most accurate measurement for the temperature (apparently), but I've compared OBD2 and my aftermarket one, and at the high end (~250F), they both read pretty close.

mav1178 07-31-2017 08:11 PM

The problem isn't going to be whether it clears the hood or not, it's whether the center stem that the oil filter mounts to can be stacked in the manner you want.

The most simple solution is to swap your oil cooler out completely for something that has a sandwich adapter w/ 2 or more sensor outputs as part of the oil cooler design.

You can plumb two sensors off the top of the block too.

-alex

Kayysonie 08-01-2017 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinS (Post 2954683)
Remove the Dummy Oil Pressure switch from the front cover and put your oil temp sensor there. The sensor turns the light in the gauge cluster on at 0 psi. Engine is dead at that point anyway. You also have an aftermarket oil pressure gauge to monitor.

I dont think the temp sensor will fit in the 1/8BPT thread on the switch. The sensor have a big long thing that sticks out.

I could switch my pressure sender to the stock oil pressure sender but that puts a risk of it getting knocked out by broken belt or something.

Kayysonie 08-01-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mav1178 (Post 2954817)
The problem isn't going to be whether it clears the hood or not, it's whether the center stem that the oil filter mounts to can be stacked in the manner you want.

The most simple solution is to swap your oil cooler out completely for something that has a sandwich adapter w/ 2 or more sensor outputs as part of the oil cooler design.

You can plumb two sensors off the top of the block too.

-alex

Clearning the hood is not an issue. I already confirmed with my friend that has a Skunk 2 Oil cooler. Those things are tall.

Stacking an additional sandwich plate on top of the thermostatic plate is not an issue as the "center stem" aligns all of them. But I will be adding risk of leaking oil.

Maybe I'll try it. The sandwich plate is <$20 bucks from perrin and monitor it after driving. I have a pressure gauge to tell me if there is an issue

Kayysonie 08-01-2017 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dchan (Post 2954809)
I shoved my oil temperature sensor at the oil galley plug at the top of the engine block, and put an oil pressure sensor at the stock dummy one (and removed the stock one). I would like to swap their locations, but I couldn't find an adaptor that the oil temperature sensor fits through for the stock oil pressure sensor location.

It's not the most accurate measurement for the temperature (apparently), but I've compared OBD2 and my aftermarket one, and at the high end (~250F), they both read pretty close.

Yeah, the pressure switch can only be for oil pressure senders.
I was going to do that in the beginning when I had an innovate pressure/temp gauge but I found that the oil temp sensor will not fit on the galley plug with a generic adaptor. thats why I ended up putting the pressure sender on the galley when I switched to Perrin Gauge.

It is like a puzzle. I can figure it out lol. I appreciate the 2 cents.

avishenoy1 08-01-2017 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kayysonie (Post 2954495)
Before you close the window, this is not about where I should put my sensor.

So currently I am using the OFT as to monitor my temperature at the track. However, I am using one of those amazon switch OBD2 so I can turn off the OFT. Well when I have ride along in track days, my passenger tends to hit the switch and turns off the OFT.

My plan is to add a Perrin temp gauge and sensor separately just to read temp. I can daisy chain it to my Perrin Oil Pressure and Im glad Perrin made it possible with just one wire. but I still have to route the temp sensor.
However, my current set up, I am limited to where to put the temp sensor.

I have the following:

1. Perrin Oil Cooler with the thermostatic plate and sandwich plate
2. Perrin Oil Pressure Sensor/Gauge installed in the Oil Galley Plug near the AC condenser.

My idea is to get another perrin sandwich plate that have bungs to put a sensor for pressure and temp. I am satisfied where my oil pressure is located so this would only be for temp.

Here is a picture of the set up I am looking into. Adding a second sandwich plate between the oil filter and thermostatic plate seems an okay idea but there is more added risk of where for the oil to leak.

What do you guys think?

http://i.imgur.com/3wzzHMd.png

My current setup is TRD Sensor plate, Racerx stacking plate, Racerx Thermostatic oil cooler sandwich plate, Oil filter.

Yes it does clear the hood.

You will not get a good oil pressure reading at any of these locations as it is higher than the engine block and you get increased pressure drop as you increase stack height.

Be aware that as temperatures increase, pressure will decrease and flow to the cooler/filter will be reduced. This is really only a concern at high temps (250°F+) so make sure you have adequate flow to the cooler to maintain oil viscosity and pressure and make sure you have enough oil.