Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   carbon fiber hood vs carbon fiber trunk which saves more weight? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126882)

stlgrym3 04-12-2018 07:05 PM

carbon fiber hood vs carbon fiber trunk which saves more weight?

which saves more weight compare to their stock counterparts? please chime in.

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 04-12-2018 08:08 PM

Don't know about trunk but IIRC a carbon hood is heavier than stock.

norcalpb 04-12-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh (Post 3071924)
Don't know about trunk but IIRC a carbon hood is heavier than stock.

MPH fabrications is lighter than stock, but you are right the Seibon ones are super heavy.

Tk rocket 04-12-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norcalpb (Post 3071932)
MPH fabrications is lighter than stock, but you are right the Seibon ones are super heavy.

Save-on shit is garbage. I would never let their replica bullshit touch my car

stlgrym3 04-12-2018 10:27 PM

wow, glad i posted this, almost pulled the trigger on the Seibon CF hood lol

olsonpg 04-12-2018 10:38 PM

People that spend money on carbon hoods for "weight savings" need better imaginations.

Spuds 04-12-2018 10:49 PM

Just remove the hood? Maximizes weight savings.

Leonardo 04-13-2018 01:48 AM

There are many ways to cut weight. But, Replacing the aluminum hood is not the mod you are looking for.

Get a lightweight battery. It's the best savings of weight to dollars.

why? 04-13-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo (Post 3072038)
There are many ways to cut weight. But, Replacing the aluminum hood is not the mod you are looking for.

Get a lightweight battery. It's the best savings of weight to dollars.

just make sure you get a trickle charger and have a place to plug it in if you do not drive your car every day.

Getting a real carbon hood is probably one of the last weight savings mods you should do, both because of the price and the fact that it won't save that much weight.

Taking out everything behind the front seats saves a ton more weight. start here for real weight savings ideas.

nikitopo 04-13-2018 06:57 AM

None of them saves too much. The hood is already aluminum and about the trunk it is good to have some more weight on the rear cause of better weight distribution. It doesn't really worth it, unless your car has already stripped interior, a rear wing for down force and you want to save the last possible grams. The only thing that might worth it is to go for carbon fiber doors, but I suppose you won't have the same protection in side collisions. Such changes should be really done on a dedicated racing car that will go with a trailer from-to the track.

churchx 04-13-2018 08:38 AM

Given that stock aluminium hood is rather light, sometimes lighter then some of aftermarket options, and you already have it ..
The weight winner is ... stock hood & money spent on other then hood lighter parts :D

Grady 04-13-2018 09:27 AM

Does not apply to all cars but the best weight savings is the steering wheel actuator weight reduction. Dependent on the car it can be 1 to 100lbs+ in weight savings. For some reason this applies more to US vehicles?

NeedsBoostt 04-13-2018 12:14 PM

The trunk iirc saves a decent amount of weight. @MisterSheep got actual weight measurements... Perhaps he could provide some insight

Tcoat 04-13-2018 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grady (Post 3072106)
Does not apply to all cars but the best weight savings is the steering wheel actuator weight reduction. Dependent on the car it can be 1 to 100lbs+ in weight savings. For some reason this applies more to US vehicles?

Please identify what cars have a 100 pound steering wheel actuator? I am truly curious.
I highly doubt that many even reach half a pound.

Edit: Never mind. The guys clued me in on my foolish misread!