Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Who is happy the engine will be Naturally Aspirated? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1359)

Ryephile 05-26-2011 06:11 PM

Who is happy the engine will be Naturally Aspirated?

I'm thrilled the first iteration of the FT-86/FR-S will have a 2.0L naturally aspirated boxer. I for one do not want a turbo FT-86/FR-S. A proper momentum/light-weight sports car should be naturally aspirated for maximum connection and communication between driver and engine. As long as the engine sounds good and has enough power, that is what makes the experience satisfying.

Why N/A is better suited to this type of car:
*Driver/Engine "oneness"
*Predictable torque curve
*No throttle lag
*Pure & Harmonious sound
*Less complicated mechanicals
*Lighter powertrain

Who agrees? :wub:

No turbo-lovers allowed, so if that's you then tuck your small Johnson and GTFO. :paddle:

ryun84 05-26-2011 06:42 PM

LOL. Queue online battle in 3... 2...

OldSkoolToys 05-26-2011 06:45 PM

All engine tune or GTFO!

When rumors of this car got out (years and years ago) the first thing that came to my mind was: It has to have an engine that mimics all the great qualities of the 4A-GE, or I'm going to be disappointed.

It needs to be:
Revv Happy
Super Responsive
Easily tunable
and as you mentioned, harmonious. That all-engine sound from a sports engine that makes the spine shiver.

SUB-FT86 05-26-2011 06:47 PM

I prefer N/A also but I disapprove of the size of the engine. A 2.0 liter needs to be in something as light as a elise. This car need a well developed 2.5/DI/Yamaha heads.

RRnold 05-26-2011 06:50 PM

I'm cool with a N/A car, less parts to worry about. Also smog in CA is a pain in the ass so removing a possible variable that could make it fail is even better. :thumbsup:

However this is America and there will be aftermarket parts! No need be immature about and talk shit to ever single person who thinks otherwise. I say let people do whatever the hell they want to do with their car; their money not yours.

I can't hate on turbos b/c I almost bought my friend's 398hp 07 STI.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...highlight=Cobb

4agze 05-26-2011 07:51 PM

I don't really care NA or FI as long as its responsive, its all about engine response to me I dont care much about HP, give me good weight to torque ratio I'll be happy.

Ryephile 05-26-2011 08:22 PM

Don't get me wrong, both of my cars are boosted! There's a time and place for everything. The only boost I can picture not ruining the FR-S is a positive displacement supercharger [i.e. Roots, twin-screw, not Rotrex et al]

Taking an Eaton TVS and putting it together with a very low volume intake manifold can yield an amazingly responsive engine. Low volume intake manifolds are tough to do in a boxer engine, so boosted will be a tough act to appease the purists like us.

I feel that 2.0L is plenty of displacement. Only a few cars I've owned have had more than that, now that I think of it. Of course the S2000 is the usual example of high power and only 2.0L N/A, but also plenty of Honda engines are 2 liters or less and have good top-end power. The Toyota 2ZZ is good N/A too [especially once the high-lift cam is tuned at a lower RPM]. The NC Miata is also 2.0L and has good power-to-weight. I have faith Toyota/Subaru[/Yamaha] will pull off a good engine for this car, especially since the weight of Toyoda-san is behind the mission.

Shevon 05-26-2011 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldSkoolToys (Post 44438)
All engine tune or GTFO!

When rumors of this car got out (years and years ago) the first thing that came to my mind was: It has to have an engine that mimics all the great qualities of the 4A-GE, or I'm going to be disappointed.

It needs to be:
Revv Happy< ESPECIALLY THIS!!!!
Super Responsive
Easily tunable
and as you mentioned, harmonious. That all-engine sound from a sports engine that makes the spine shiver.

Either or is fine for me But if its NA exactly what OldSkoolToys said. it has to and need to be a screamer 8K redline atleast and at least 200hp

ToyotaObsession 05-26-2011 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4agze (Post 44457)
I don't really care NA or FI as long as its responsive, its all about engine response to me I dont care much about HP, give me good weight to torque ratio I'll be happy.

Me too.

I prefer aftermarket Turbo Systems to stock ones anyways. Unless they upgrade the engine in some way to make it beefier over N/A.

But until I get behind the wheel and drive one. I can't really say what I'll be happy with.

WingsofWar 05-26-2011 10:52 PM

im a boost junkie myself...but any performance oriented engine despite forced induction or not...is a plus for me.

Want.FR-S 05-27-2011 12:19 AM

May I ask a noob question? What would be the N/A tune to increase performance besides changing intake and header/cat/muffler?

Ryephile 05-27-2011 12:28 AM

If the engine has variable cam phasing and/or lift [a big if], there's some work that can be done to improve torque across the board with cam phasing along with subtle tweaks to ignition timing and perhaps some fueling. There are five primary things an OEM engine calibrator balances; emissions, longevity, fuel economy, driveability, and torque, likely in that order of importance from most to least. In the aftermarket, most tuners flip that around to get the most torque and better driveability at the expense of primarily emissions and perhaps longevity [not quite as applicable for n/a engines on the second aspect].

All that said, an N/A engine ECU tune usually nets minimal power gains as they're pretty close to optimized from the factory. Of course there are exceptions, and YMMV.

Also, when you start changing hardware [header, ported cylinder head, cams, etc.] you change the efficiencies of the engine [usually VE] that may need a re-tune to get the most out of the new hardware. Some OEM ECU's however adapt very well and can get the engine running pretty close even with different hardware. It all depends on the particulars at that point.

chulooz 05-27-2011 01:42 AM

Performance is what I want out of this car, if an N/A will suffice Im more than happy with that. However, if news of a turbo surfaces I would love to have it instead.

In my opinion and desires the benefits of many (but not all) N/A cars powertrains can enhanced or overcome by what a turbo has to offer. I wonder how many N/A lovers here have actually had the time behind a wheel of a true turbo sports car?

Do you know what beats a lightweight N/A Toyobaru around the straights, twisties, and tracks? A lightweight turbo Toyobaru.

WingsofWar 05-27-2011 04:49 AM

iv had my share of cars both n/a, supercharged and turbocharged..I love my turbos they give me the power i need sooner, and delivers it smoothly assuming i tune it right. N/As powerband lies at the top of the RPM range, and honestly...thats WAAYY to hardcore for me...Staying in a good range of boost is hard enough especially when braking.