Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Avo turbo heat management on track (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46194)

ICantAffordAnLFA 09-07-2013 11:28 AM

Avo turbo heat management on track

I am probably behind the curve a bit on this but how does the avo installation perform heat wise, particularly for those driving on circuits/race tracks regularly.

What are additional cooling are you running?

AVO likely to be my choice but just want to be clear on this.

Need to be able to do 2 days on track with 350 road miles either side, for example.

:thanks:

boredom.is.me 09-07-2013 12:23 PM

Apparently even, stock cars are overheating on the track. From what I've read, oil coolers are a must for any track car.

ICantAffordAnLFA 09-07-2013 01:28 PM

I've run 120-125 degrees typically on trackdays in Europe, including some 35 degrees plus outside temp days during the summer.

I've done plenty of track time

mike the snake 09-07-2013 02:31 PM

I think the AVO kit with the turbo down low will help keep the under-hood temps down.

From researching for the last month, for track use it seems many are experiencing high water and oil temps. The obvious fix for these is bigger radiator and oil cooler.

In the track/AX section on this forum people have posted graphs of their water/oil temps before and after installing these parts.

jamesm 09-07-2013 02:37 PM

it doesn't matter if the car is turbocharged or not, if you're taking it to the track it needs adequate cooling, and the stock cooling system does not do the job.

diss7 09-07-2013 05:15 PM

Robispec cooling solution.

Search it now. Ooo and ahh over the awesomeness that is the robispec radiator and oil cooler.

Buy it and congratulate yourself with a beer.

mike the snake 09-07-2013 06:21 PM

I opted for the Robispec radiator/oil cooler. It seemed to be the best option.

Separate radiator and oil cooler costs were as much or more, and more to install.

Hoping to get my Robispec radiator/cooler soon.

DAMotorsports 09-07-2013 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICantAffordAnLFA (Post 1195812)
I am probably behind the curve a bit on this but how does the avo installation perform heat wise, particularly for those driving on circuits/race tracks regularly.

What are additional cooling are you running?

AVO likely to be my choice but just want to be clear on this.

Need to be able to do 2 days on track with 350 road miles either side, for example.

:thanks:

we have a AVO thread started but and there have been reviews with the AVO and Robispec's kit installed. I can tell you a lot about heat as we run in 100 + weather. a great spot to start is a proper air box to guide the air a cross the intercooler and the radiator. Additionally upgrade time for the cooling system.

Deep Six 09-07-2013 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike the snake (Post 1196484)
I opted for the Robispec radiator/oil cooler. It seemed to be the best option.

Separate radiator and oil cooler costs were as much or more, and more to install.

Hoping to get my Robispec radiator/cooler soon.

When did you order?

mike the snake 09-07-2013 11:32 PM

I ordered and paid around the 20th to the 23rd. They said the part would be available the next tuesday as they were waiting for takeoff plates.

I paid, PM'd them to confirm that they received payment. They responded to that PM, and since then I've sent countless PM's and emails and they are not replying.

I'm hoping they send me my radiator or at least communicate with me soon.

I don't want any other version of radiator/oil cooler.

Sportsguy83 09-07-2013 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike the snake (Post 1196924)
I ordered and paid around the 20th to the 23rd. They said the part would be available the next tuesday as they were waiting for takeoff plates.

I paid, PM'd them to confirm that they received payment. They responded to that PM, and since then I've sent countless PM's and emails and they are not replying.

I'm hoping they send me my radiator or at least communicate with me soon.

I don't want any other version of radiator/oil cooler.

Take it to a GOOD, trustworthy shop to have it installed....

You welcome!

ft_sjo 09-08-2013 02:16 AM

Has anyone actually overheated an engine?

Has anyone measured an oil pressure drop caused by excessive temperature?

mike the snake 09-08-2013 03:55 AM

Why? Are there fitment issues?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 (Post 1196959)
Take it to a GOOD, trustworthy shop to have it installed....

You welcome!

Sportsguy83 09-08-2013 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike the snake (Post 1197214)
Why? Are there fitment issues?

Start reading from this post down. There's a good chance it would be easier for you, but still it does require some shop tools over the regular garage DIY selection.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1192582

Sorry if this posts has mistakes, I'm on the phone!