Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Port injection only possible? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138248)

solidsnake11 12-21-2019 03:08 PM

Port injection only possible?

c

Clutch Dog 12-21-2019 03:10 PM

Short answer: *snaps finger* Yes

Long answer: would require a complete retune on the ECU, i could see this if you went custom turbo and decided for simplicity to run the port injection and not DFI, make some plugs, throw on bigger injectors and send.

tomm.brz 12-21-2019 03:22 PM

Put 100% in every cell on the 3 tables of PI/DI ratio and you have only PI working

May I ask why?

kev0 12-21-2019 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clutch Dog (Post 3284947)
Short answer: *snaps finger* Yes

Long answer: would require a complete retune on the ECU, i could see this if you went custom turbo and decided for simplicity to run the port injection and not DFI, make some plugs, throw on bigger injectors and send.

Are there any downsides to running PI 100% of the time?

steve99 12-21-2019 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kev0 (Post 3284970)
Are there any downsides to running PI 100% of the time?

Yes id be reasnobly sure the DI injectors would get damaged likely due heat if you turn them off using the pi\di tables in tune. In standard tunes your always running fuel through the DI system and i suspect without that the di injectors in the compustion chamber will get damaged without the fuel to cool them.

The stock port injectors are quite small 228 cc and dont have the capacity to run even an NA engine at high rpm full load without di., So you would need bigger ports even on NA car to run without DI.

So id say dont try to run full port unless your prepared to toast a set of DI injectors

steve99 12-21-2019 05:49 PM

If your talking about completly removing the DI system ie the DI computer on side of engine and DI pump, thats going to introduce a bunch of other issues with ghe ecu not seeing those monitors componemts, its likey going to go into limp mode or at least get very confused. To remove that stuff your likely going to need to re write ecu code, i suspect simply disabling dtc codes wont work even if all the codes defined .

tomm.brz 12-21-2019 06:31 PM

Never tried, but with ecutek you also have "fuel quantity DI" and "Fuel quantity PI" as available custom inputs so you have the possibility to control those with a multiplier for example

About using low pressure PFI injector with the GDI wiring.. No idea, the GDI scaling and gestion is extremely complicated, since it works with the variable high pressure

tomm.brz 12-21-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3284992)
Papadakis Racing melted the end off a direct injector on the supra.

yes well he was also trying to put out 1000hp with 40 psi

i did a release in my car with 100% PFI to calibrate it to the GDI and did a pull and nothing bad happened

Clutch Dog 12-22-2019 12:38 AM

nothing happened that one time. but all it takes is for the DFI injectors to overheat the tips and bam zoom new motor.

this is one of those things you do it right, or do it twice

ka-t_240 12-23-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3285098)
Papadakis didn't hurt anything, it just blew molten steel out the turbo.

In case you missed the reasoning for me to cut off direct injection. I am going to replace my engine with a k24 honda inline 4 and I am going to retrofit the fa20 fuel injection on to it.

Are you going to try and run a Honda K24 completely using FA20 engine harness/ECU?

If you are not going to control the k24 via a FA20 ecu, then there is no issue to worry about here.

Clutch Dog 12-23-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3285376)
Yes I am going to try

does the firing order match? or are you wanting to change the plugs out for whatever fires on what.

fuel rail can be whatever, but id be looking into how the engine sees itself with cam angle sensor and throttle position..

an interesting proposition.
if there was a good K24 swap kit, and you did all the hard work you could snuff out the S14 craze these days with the k24..

hell id put one ine..

currently trying to get funds for a rx8 swap ren into an brz

tomm.brz 12-23-2019 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3285378)
I'm using A01C RR.
frsport has not sent me my ecutek?

So things I have learned.

The fuel pressure sensor has to be hooked up(no start). It reads around 52psi with out the fuel pump solinoid plugged in. Hey who doesn't love to know their fuel pressure.

I can get it to run without codes.
My engine is still running on direct at idle?
Anywhere above idle is port inj ?
I may have to run 8 injectors. The intake that pure uses has provisions for 8.

Things are looking promising.

what i know for sure, and think you xan t change, is: car start 50% PI 50% DI
then goes after a few to 100% PI
then goes to what ratio table is

maybe forcing 100% PI with custom maps work but can't tell you

sato 12-24-2019 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3285098)
Papadakis didn't hurt anything, it just blew molten steel out the turbo.

If I remember correctly, they just removed the direct injectors and plugged them holes with a solid piece of metal.

Anyway, good luck with your build. Loving your experiments!

Ultramaroon 01-03-2020 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by solidsnake11 (Post 3287901)
K24 head gasket

That's all you really need.