Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   How does the powered rear view mirror work? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136994)

GrantedTaken 09-23-2019 06:56 PM

How does the powered rear view mirror work?

I wanted to flip the mirror when headlights are blinding me. Owner's manual shows traditional flip type mirror. My BRZ mirror doesn't have that. There is a power button. When I press it, I don't see any difference in the mirror. What is the deal? Broken? Garbage gimmick? Tear it out and install a normal mirror? Piece of crap mirror rattles anyway, and can't even be adjusted. Literally the worst rear view mirror EVER

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/n3YAA...UmB/s-l300.jpg

humfrz 09-23-2019 08:04 PM

Powered rear view mirror?

Are you pulling my leg or do I need to get out more?

:bonk:

humfrz

Jordanwolf 09-23-2019 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrantedTaken (Post 3260428)
I wanted to flip the mirror when headlights are blinding me. Owner's manual shows traditional flip type mirror. My BRZ mirror doesn't have that. There is a power button. When I press it, I don't see any difference in the mirror. What is the deal? Broken? Garbage gimmick? Tear it out and install a normal mirror? Piece of crap mirror rattles anyway, and can't even be adjusted. Literally the worst rear view mirror EVER

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/n3YAA...UmB/s-l300.jpg

Yes

Tcoat 09-23-2019 08:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Page 70 of the owner manual. It is auto dimming so when powered up it will dim when there are bright lights. You won't see anything just pushing the button. If it doesn't dim when turned on and bright lights come up behind you it is broke.

winstonscifi 09-23-2019 08:48 PM

GrantedTaken has also started a thread describing the brake pads as the "worst design ever". Seriously, if you are so unhappy with the design of this automobile, you might consider selling it and buying something that is more suited to your design criteria. Perhaps a Toyota Camry? It's pretty well designed, and very popular....

Decep 09-23-2019 08:50 PM

literally unusable

JoeC 09-23-2019 08:54 PM

It's threads like these that keep me coming back to ft86club.com

soundman98 09-23-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3260450)

humfrz

they don't dim as nicely as the toggle type, as those physically change the reflective surface.

but i have the homelink auto dimming mirror in the brz, and added it to my ranger. not having to put a garage door opener in the car is great.

overall though, the dimming is enough for me. the ranger required some tape over the sensor to dim correctly being installed in a different vehicle.

Kiske 09-23-2019 09:06 PM

Do you by chance have window tint blocking or preventing the sensor from auto dimming when being hit by light?

Tcoat 09-23-2019 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiske (Post 3260470)
Do you by chance have window tint blocking or preventing the sensor from auto dimming when being hit by light?

Well he does live on "The Sun" so maybe he has 200% tint.

GrantedTaken 09-23-2019 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3260450)

humfrz

Can you see the photo I posted?
The fucking mirror has a POWER BUTTON

GrantedTaken 09-23-2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3260457)
Page 70 of the owner manual. It is auto dimming so when powered up it will dim when there are bright lights. You won't see anything just pushing the button. If it doesn't dim when turned on and bright lights come up behind you it is broke.

WTF, I did not see that in the owner's manual when I looked up the page for rear view mirror. Worst owners manual ever.

Are these things known to break? When I pressed the power on, nothing changed. The bright light was still blinding me.

What a pathetic joke. I got the BRZ since its the epitome of UNDER ENGINEERED. Then they add some bullshit busted mirror, instead of using the basic lightweight 100 year old design that aint broke.

GrantedTaken 09-23-2019 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winstonscifi (Post 3260460)
GrantedTaken has also started a thread describing the brake pads as the "worst design ever". Seriously, if you are so unhappy with the design of this automobile, you might consider selling it and buying something that is more suited to your design criteria. Perhaps a Toyota Camry? It's pretty well designed, and very popular....

Camry is a bloated floaty piece of shit. How dare you suggest such a moronic idea.

GrantedTaken 09-23-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiske (Post 3260470)

Not that I am aware of. Who would tint a rear view mirror?