Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   Seized motor/vapor lock after installing Edelbrock 1556 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130325)

iceblaze 09-17-2018 01:51 PM

Seized motor/vapor lock after installing Edelbrock 1556

Hey all,

I spent the weekend installing the Edelbrock 1556 supercharger onto my 2017 Toyota 86. Full disclosure: I bought the supercharger used. Everything was seeming to go well with only having to modify the alternator power connection so the supercharger could fit. We double checked all hoses before we filled it up with coolant. When we started the car it started blowing a ton of white smoke out of the exhaust, and when we tapped the gas the engine completely stopped. When we took the intake off to inspect, tons of coolant was pouring out of the supercharger and onto the intake when we rotated the pulley by hand.

At this point were not sure if the motor is completely hosed. We plan on taking the supercharger manifold off this weekend to try and take a vaccum to the inside of the engine to suck all the coolant out, then try to go back to my stage 2 e85 tune from delicious. My question is if anyone may have had this issue before, and if so how did they go about fixing it? We believe there may be a leak inside the supercharger itself, but it may be possible that we didn't do something right during the installation process that caused it. Any insight is appreciated

Rich196 09-17-2018 02:57 PM

Cant help on why it happened as I'm not familiar with the kit, but I would say it would be a damage heat exchanger core in the manifold not holding water.

What I would say is 100% change the oil before trying to restart it

mrha 09-17-2018 03:03 PM

Threads like these make me not want to buy a supercharger used. Sorry about what happened to you man.

CSG Mike 09-17-2018 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceblaze (Post 3134246)
Hey all,

I spent the weekend installing the Edelbrock 1556 supercharger onto my 2017 Toyota 86. Full disclosure: I bought the supercharger used. Everything was seeming to go well with only having to modify the alternator power connection so the supercharger could fit. We double checked all hoses before we filled it up with coolant. When we started the car it started blowing a ton of white smoke out of the exhaust, and when we tapped the gas the engine completely stopped. When we took the intake off to inspect, tons of coolant was pouring out of the supercharger and onto the intake when we rotated the pulley by hand.

At this point were not sure if the motor is completely hosed. We plan on taking the supercharger manifold off this weekend and try to take a vaccum to the inside of the engine to suck all the coolant out, then try to go back to my stage 2 e85 tune from delicious. My question is if anyone may have had this issue before, and if so how did they go about fixing it? We believe there may be a leak inside the supercharger itself, but it may be possible that we didn't do something right during the installation process that caused it. Any insight is appreciated

You'll want to turn the crank by hand, and see if any of the rods are bent from hydrolock.

gtengr 09-18-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich196 (Post 3134281)
Cant help on why it happened as I'm not familiar with the kit, but I would say it would be a damage heat exchanger core in the manifold not holding water.

What I would say is 100% change the oil before trying to restart it

Agree. Sounds like the intercooler core was damaged somehow.

I wonder if the previous owner also blew his engine, then sold the kit w/o figuring out exactly what went wrong? Shipping damage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrha (Post 3134286)
Threads like these make me not want to buy a supercharger used. Sorry about what happened to you man.

Yeah I just picked up a Cosworth kit from a local and am going to test this cooling circuit for leaks before install.

Akari 09-18-2018 11:26 AM

Hopefully your engine is okay and it's just an issue with the water heat exchanger within the SC manifold.

When you initially were priming the SC cooling system before starting the car, were you able to get it full? I'd imagine with a leak that big it would just indefinitely take coolant.

Irace86.2.0 09-18-2018 12:04 PM

Can’t you pull the core out of the rear and do a leak down test?

sroby 09-18-2018 12:24 PM

If it’s the charger itself or the coolant core. Give Jon Bond performance a call he is the best in the buisness. Cheaper by far than Elderbrock. Keep us posted.

iceblaze 09-18-2018 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 (Post 3134641)
Can’t you pull the core out of the rear and do a leak down test?

Yes thats part of the plan for this weekend

Irace86.2.0 09-18-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 3134296)
You'll want to turn the crank by hand, and see if any of the rods are bent from hydrolock.

That and shouldn’t he also do a compression test? If he can spin the engine then maybe nothing major is wrong, but a compression test is necessary to confirm nothing subtle is wrong, right?

iceblaze 09-18-2018 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akari (Post 3134622)
Hopefully your engine is okay and it's just an issue with the water heat exchanger within the SC manifold.

When you initially were priming the SC cooling system before starting the car, were you able to get it full? I'd imagine with a leak that big it would just indefinitely take coolant.

Yep it initially filled, but when we started the car it sucked it all in and indefinitely took coolant after.

Grady 09-19-2018 08:51 AM

With the engine running and experiencing a hydro lock I would recomend disassembly. Since you are doing forced induction while you are in there you just as well replace rods/pistons instead of just inspecting. This will cost a lot less than if there is damage and you have the engine come apart later. Stress damage is not always visible.

gtengr 09-19-2018 09:39 AM

With coolant in the oil, the bearing journals and cylinder walls may have scoring, and the VVT system may have experienced some abnormal wear. I'd be prepared for the existing engine not being a good core for rebuild.

iceblaze 09-19-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtengr (Post 3135062)
With coolant in the oil, the bearing journals and cylinder walls may have scoring, and the VVT system may have experienced some abnormal wear. I'd be prepared for the existing engine not being a good core for rebuild.

We didn't see any coolant in the oil when we pulled the dipstick, but we'll check for any scoring on the walls as well