Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Clutch squeak, even when engine is off or on (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136000)

PaoloJR 07-24-2019 06:44 PM

Clutch squeak, even when engine is off or on

My clutch makes a squeaky sound, like rubber to rubber type of sound, only when the clutch is in motion (about 3/4) then goes away when fully pressed. The sound happens when the engine is off too..

I am hoping it's not TOB as it is not a metal whinning sound or anything similar to that. I brought it in the dealer this morning and the service tech automatically assumed it was the TOB issue WITHOUT even diagnosing it.. and was going to charge me a 900$ CAD fee for opening the transmission..

I have a 2017 BRZ with 45k km on it. Im still under the 3yr/60k km warranty.

any help will be much appreciated.
thanks!

RToyo86 07-24-2019 07:18 PM

Mine does the same thing, and I hear it most when releasing the pedal from the floor. Very annoying. I greased everything and it still makes noise.

I installed a Mtec clutch assist spring and forgot to grease it. I have a feeling it is the spring rubbing as it stretches/compresses.

humfrz 07-24-2019 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaoloJR (Post 3240746)
My clutch makes a squeaky sound, like rubber to rubber type of sound, only when the clutch is in motion (about 3/4) then goes away when fully pressed. The sound happens when the engine is off too..

I am hoping it's not TOB as it is not a metal whinning sound or anything similar to that. I brought it in the dealer this morning and the service tech automatically assumed it was the TOB issue WITHOUT even diagnosing it.. and was going to charge me a 900$ CAD fee for opening the transmission..

thanks!

It could be that the clutch fork is dry. It can be greased to make it quit squeaking.

Quick & dirty: from @Ultramaroon

1. Detach the slave cylinder. Leave the hydraulics alone.
2. Remove the dust boot from the fork.
3. Reach down behind the fork with a finger and feel for the pivot. It's going to be tight because of the retaining clip.
4. Squeeze a decent glob of Lucas Red & Tacky #2 in there with your finger.
5. Jiggle the fork to distribute the grease as much as possible. It'll work in more on its own.
6. Put a dab of grease in the top pivot where the slave pin goes.
7. Reassemble.

Mine squeaks a little too, but, I just pay it no mind.

humfrz

PaoloJR 07-30-2019 05:34 PM

humfrs,
how often do you hear your squeak and how long has it been?

dhuang 07-30-2019 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3240837)
Quick & dirty: from @Ultramaroon

1. Detach the slave cylinder. Leave the hydraulics alone.
2. Remove the dust boot from the fork.
3. Reach down behind the fork with a finger and feel for the pivot. It's going to be tight because of the retaining clip.
4. Squeeze a decent glob of Lucas Red & Tacky #2 in there with your finger.
5. Jiggle the fork to distribute the grease as much as possible. It'll work in more on its own.
6. Put a dab of grease in the top pivot where the slave pin goes.
7. Reassemble.

^^^ This.

I have a '17 with a squeaky clutch -- car on or off, usually when the car is warm. (This problem is unrelated to the TOB TSB.)

As a test, I sprayed some white lithium grease on the clutch fork pivot and the problem briefly went away.
The solution is to use a molybdenum grease or Lucas Red "N" Tacky Grease at the pivot point since it seems to dry out.

Consider it another maintenance item. :lol:

humfrz 07-30-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaoloJR (Post 3242781)
humfrs,
how often do you hear your squeak and how long has it been?

Oh, I would be a bad witness because my hearing is shot. However, I do notice it when it's in the garage and I push in or let out on the clutch, when the engine isn't running. It's been squeaking at me for several months.

humfrz

Tcoat 07-30-2019 09:08 PM

Lube is your friend.

radon55 07-31-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

thanks!

I have a '17 BRZ with 60k mi (96.5km), and have the same issue as you with the squeak. Once I figured it didn't have the same symptoms as the TOB failure, I stopped worrying about it. Mine has always had the squeak since I purchased it 2k miles ago, so not sure in total how long this car has had it.

One of these days maybe I'll add some lube to it....

Spec C Wannabe 08-01-2019 11:08 PM

Quote:

thanks!

I also have this rubber squeaking sound. My inner feeling is that the sound comes from internal master cylinder piston, which makes of rubber, rubbing against the cylinder wall....

Amputechture 08-02-2019 10:12 AM

Mine is sqeaky also. Replaced the stocker at 30k, at 50 now and it's been sqeaking for the last five thousand or so.

natekwondo 08-04-2019 07:35 PM

Mines at 31k miles (50000km) and it squeaks as well. (I've done all the grease fixes) It only squeaks over short distances and after it has been driven around for for an extended period of time/distance the squeak goes away, then when it gets cold again it squeaks again.

Also, other people might have already mentioned this already but, i think this is a subaru designed clutch setup much like the WRX, and I've read some of the subaru WRX forums that they are also renowned for squeaky clutches due to the design. (They also have TOB issues etc)

It seems that even if you replace the clutch fork, TOB etc that you will eventually get the squeak back in certain conditions even if the components are completely healthy.

Manic 08-20-2019 06:03 AM

Did the fix as prescribed by humfrz, as described by ultramoon, and I've been squeak free for the last week. It was a little awkward trying to remove the clutch slave, ended up using a breaker bar very carefully.

Ironically enough, I almost miss the squeak and the clutch feels too smooth now. It's like I was in an abusive relationship with my clutch fork.