Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   AC is "on" when turned "off"? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13411)

BRZranger 08-01-2012 06:54 AM

AC is "on" when turned "off"?

I have noticed that when I turn my AC off, but my temperature to "coldest" I can still feel AC coming through windshield vents in the "windshield-vent" mode. When I turn the vent dial mode to other vent modes, I do not feel the AC anymore.

Yes, I'm sure it's AC coming through in windshield-mode. How do I know? In windshield mode, it's super chilly air, "AC-like". In every other vent mode, it feels like "normal" air, that isn't chilly.

Why is this happening? I have no idea, I would think AC and vent controls are not interconnected.

This concerns me, because I don't want to burn up extra fuel to support AC when I don't necessarily want AC. I haven't taken this in yet, but I wanted to see if anyone else could recreate this also.

roddy 08-01-2012 07:11 AM

When you set your selector to any setting that includes the windshield, A/C automatically comes on. Most newer cars do this.

BRZranger 08-01-2012 07:14 AM

Hmm... I'll have to check my '11 Forester XT, but I had a '11 Ford Fusion, and I don't remember it doing that.

wbradley 08-01-2012 07:46 AM

It's designed to defog the front windshield. Newer Toyotas do that.

Killerbee 08-01-2012 08:07 AM

got the same on my 07' 350z, most newer car do this. However, its also noted in the Drivers Manual, so RTFM :-)

fistpoint 08-01-2012 08:53 AM

You might be able to deactivate this by holding certain buttons on the A/C unit, and/or turning the key to a specific setting.

It will take time before anyone learns these codes though, eventually someone will post them if it's possible. It worked for my Acura, now I decide when the compressor comes on. Actually it still works as designed, but now I have the ability to turn it off by pressing the button.

So, where do these little bits of knowledge come from? Shop manuals? Service manuals at the dealer?

mikochu 08-01-2012 09:03 AM

I'm sure you can "disable" it by setting the temperature to a bit warmer. That's what I do in my GTI...

Azzaboynt 08-01-2012 09:38 AM

My NC MX5 automatically turns on the AC (if switched off) when I set it to defog the front windshield.

heeltoe86 08-01-2012 09:52 AM

A/C mode turns on when used for defogging because a/c air has less moisture in it than regular cabin air.

Dave-ROR 08-01-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikochu (Post 351890)
I'm sure you can "disable" it by setting the temperature to a bit warmer. That's what I do in my GTI...

Even with the heater the AC system will run in a defog setting.

Most, if not all, new cars do this as already stated. In many cars you can easily disable it, in some, it requires a bit more work.

bimmerboy 08-01-2012 10:55 AM

atleast you have a premium so you have more control over when the a/c comes on vs the auto climate control in the limited models.

Kurenai 08-01-2012 11:39 AM

The AC runs because it also removes humidity from the air.
Humid air on windshield = fog.

Synack 08-01-2012 11:57 AM

So if the compressor is running this often, then the car will be a bit down on power, because it's a tiny 2.0L engine and electrical stress does this.

What's the easiest way to knowingly turn off the compressor?

Neziah 08-01-2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Synack (Post 352232)
What's the easiest way to knowingly turn off the compressor?

Just don't set it to any setting that shows the windshield/defrost on the dial.

Both of my other newish cars did the same thing.