Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Toyota rules out GT 86 hybrid due to projected lack of demand (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67648)

vh_supra26 06-09-2014 08:25 AM

Toyota rules out GT 86 hybrid due to projected lack of demand

Quote:

Wouldn't 'speak to the majority'

Toyota is not taking into consideration a hybrid version of the GT 86 because they estimate there wouldn’t be a market for such a model.

The GT 86 won’t receive additional oomph via hybridization as Toyota’s marketing director Fabio Capano says such a derivative would not “speak to the majority.” Aside from targeting a small audience, the company says high costs with development is another reason why the model won’t see the light of production day.

While that might be true, a turbocharged GT 86 most definitely would have a larger market but Toyota still isn’t saying anything about mounting a turbocharger on that 2.0-liter 4-cylinder boxer engine. However, there are some rumors about a GT 86 sedan packing a Subaru-sourced Direct Injection Turbo (DIT) boxer engine with more than 295 bhp (220 kW) working together with an eight-speed automatic transmission. It is believed the model will be longer and taller than the coupe and is slated for a 2016 launch.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11406097...jected-lack-of

OICU812 06-09-2014 08:35 AM

Uh oh ... More NON official Toyota or Subaru news!! Watch the "dreamers" now bring up how this cars going to be Turbo or SC on the showroom by 2016!!! :D

No offence OP but man it would be nice one day here to see something legit from Toyota or Subaru as everything is always some half assed source and always complete kaka. :D

vh_supra26 06-09-2014 08:39 AM

Scion FR-S Hybrid In Doubt

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog....on-fr-s-2d.jpg

Quote:

Anyone hoping for a new variant of the Scion FR-S sports car is in for disappointment, with yet another official from parent company Toyota ruling out one of the car’s many rumored variants, this time the hybrid.

It was a couple of years ago that we first heard Toyota was seriously considering installing some type of hybrid technology in its FR-S. We later heard that development of a hybrid FR-S had reached an advanced stage, despite production not being confirmed.

Now, Toyota marketing director Fabio Capano has thrown cold water on the idea. Speaking with Autocar, Capano explained that Toyota could do it technically but fears the car would not be popular enough to be viable.

“We can create a product with this technology but it needs to make proper business sense,” Capano said. “We have to prioritize.”

Capano’s comments come after another Toyota exec said a convertible version of the FR-S and a more powerful version were both unlikely because of poor sales of the current model.

Toyota hasn’t given up on its performance offerings, however. The automaker is working on a larger sports car based on its FT-1 concept that will serve as the spiritual successor to the Supra, and this one is may feature hybrid technology. A sports car positioned below the FR-S is also expected.
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/w...ncept-main.jpg
http://www.autoguide.com/gallery/gal...G_0381_001.JPG

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ybrid-in-doubt

vh_supra26 06-09-2014 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OICU812 (Post 1786270)
Uh oh ... More NON official Toyota or Subaru news!! Watch the "dreamers" now bring up how this cars going to be Turbo or SC on the showroom by 2016!!! :D

No offence OP but man it would be nice one day here to see something legit from Toyota or Subaru as everything is always some half assed source and always complete kaka. :D

I'm just trying to share news with the forum.

Why do you even bother posting than? If you don't like whats being reported and posted, please move on.

J_kennington 06-09-2014 08:55 AM

A sports car below the frs? So like...a 15000 dollar sports car?

vh_supra26 06-09-2014 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_kennington (Post 1786287)
A sports car below the frs? So like...a 15000 dollar sports car?

Tada san has said under $20k. And Motoring had reported a starting price tag of $16k (Australian Dollars???) earlier this year.

vh_supra26 06-09-2014 09:02 AM

Toyota unlikely to develop hybrid GT86 sports car

Development bosses say there's no market for a hybrid version of its sports car, even though it possesses the technology to build it

http://images.cdn.autocar.co.uk/site...80/T_10207.jpg
Toyota is no longer pursuing a hybrid version of its GT86 sports car

Quote:

Toyota has played down the idea of a production hybrid GT86 sports car, suggesting that such a model would not “speak to the majority”.

Toyota engineers have previously spoken about having the performance hybrid technology at an advanced stage, but it appears that the firm is struggling to find a 
business case for it in the GT86.

Toyota marketing director Fabio Capano said: “We can create a product with this technology, but it needs to make proper business sense. We have to prioritise.”

Capano cited the small market for such a car and the costs involved as the key reasons for focusing the brand’s efforts elsewhere.

However, Toyota is co-developing a larger sports car with BMW and it’s believed that this will have an advanced Le Mans-derived hybrid drivetrain using super-capacitors for extra boost.
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...t86-sports-car

J_kennington 06-09-2014 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vh_supra26 (Post 1786288)
Tada san has said under $20k. And Motoring had reported a starting price tag of $16k (Australian Dollars???) earlier this year.

Seems like it would be just bare minimalist. Like the "race spec" 86 over seas

MVJ1975 06-09-2014 09:10 AM

I would be very surprised to see any variants of the 86 see the light of day, including the vert.

It's a miracle the car exists at all. Two companies had to agree on all the little details, and it's only due to Tada's dogged persistence that they were able to hammer it out. Subaru had to be dragged kicking and screaming through certain parts of the project.

Now that the car exists, I suspect we'll see Subaru start to push back a bit (as they've already done with the vert), and the usual focus groups and bean-counter meetings will likely conspire to make any 86 variant DOA.

Some of these variants may see light with the other two sports cars Toyota is working on. The 86 was really a proof of concept of sorts, to show the naysayers at Toyota that sports cars could still sell and be relevant. It's done so, and will now be allowed to go on with some minor improvements until it is no longer profitable, and then it'll be killed off. The real focus at Toyota is the car the FT-1 will become, I suspect.

Tt3Sheppard 06-09-2014 09:14 AM

I hate to say it but I think after the first generation Toyota will drop the GT86. They will use the platform and what they've learned to produce a sedan, and CUV version that will generate sales 10x the amount while reducing research & development costs. Just a theory but with the market becoming even more competitive and CUV/truck sales increasing rapidly there is no money to be made with a revised version of the GT86.

DarkSunrise 06-09-2014 09:17 AM

I believe the 86 and BRZ have met/exceeded sales targets in all major markets other than Europe. If that's the case, I'd be surprised if Toyota does not push to continue development on the car.

I can understand if Subaru was the company holding back further development (as they did on the convertible, for example). My guess is the Twins have cannibalized on sales of other cars within Subaru's lineup, namely the WRX and STI.

Toyota, on the other hand, doesn't have any models that would potentially compete with the Twins or any possible variants.

MVJ1975 06-09-2014 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkSunrise (Post 1786305)
I believe the 86 and BRZ have met/exceeded sales targets in all major markets other than Europe. If that's the case, I'd be surprised if Toyota does not push to continue development on the car.

I can understand if Subaru was the company holding back further development (as they did on the convertible, for example). My guess is the Twins have cannibalized on sales of other cars within Subaru's lineup, namely the WRX and STI.

If they haven't, a turbo sedan version absolutely would. That one's the absolute least likely variant to ever see daylight, IMHO. I suspect Subaru could be dragged into making a vert, but a direct WRX competitor? They won't touch that with a ten foot pole.

paulca 06-09-2014 09:33 AM

If Toyota bring out a turbo version they may piss off almost all their customers as they will devalue their cars in an instant. They will need to make it a LOT more expensive, say $10k more, to clearly separate the value of the two models.

Imagine you bought an N/A GT86 and a month later a turbo version appears on the forecourt for 3k more. Now you know when you come to sell your car in 3-5 years that the 3k margin will be down to 1k margin between turbo and non-turbo. You will hear a lot of "Is it the turbo version?, No?, Aw well, thanks anyway."

UltramarineLuck 06-09-2014 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tt3Sheppard (Post 1786302)
I hate to say it but I think after the first generation Toyota will drop the GT86. They will use the platform and what they've learned to produce a sedan, and CUV version that will generate sales 10x the amount while reducing research & development costs. Just a theory but with the market becoming even more competitive and CUV/truck sales increasing rapidly there is no money to be made with a revised version of the GT86.

They've sold 100,000 cars globally and just eclipsed 50,000 in the U.S. alone. What makes you think they'll give that up? The segment is not crowded in any way, shape or form - they compete directly with the Miata and eventually the iDX. In fact, Nissan will likely give up on trying to price down the 370 to compete with the twins when the iDX arrives.The 86 competes "indirectly" with other cars in the price range - Focus/Fiesta ST, base pony cars (new Mustang), etc. but that's a tough thing to compare as the purchase demos seem to be fairly different (with the obvious slight bit of overlap).

Something tells me it's not going anywhere for a while, especially with the shooting brake, convertible and saloon models being thrown against the wall for "stick" testing.