Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Wheel Directory: A-Line 029GT 17x7.5 +35 (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37192)

Fish Eagle 05-22-2013 01:56 PM

Wheel Directory: A-Line 029GT 17x7.5 +35

6 Attachment(s)
http://www.darrendriven.com/ft86/title.png

Wheels are A-Line GT BKMFRR 17x7.5 +35 staggered
, and I don't know if they're available outside South Africa and I have no idea where they originate from.
The rear wheels have a much deeper (looking) dish than the front, but the ET and rim width is identical. I measured it 3 times before I actually believed that, because it looks so different. Very clever design with the stagger which creates (IMO) a great badass look. Seriously :w00t: 4th pic down shows it best.

I wanted black rims, Lindy wanted silver ... we got silver.
And I really like them. If I change my mind, plasti-dip can work wonders.

Tyres are Federal 595 RS-R 235/40-17

Before the haters start throwing bricks about lowering my car to reduce the gap, or the stupidity of fitting 235's on 7.5 rims, or 40 profile reducing gearing by 1.8%, or what cheapie tyres the Federals are, or how much camber I must dial in or out, whatever -

Yep, I think I know all of that, and what I've done is 100% intentional.

This is AFRICA dude, and our sports cars need to have SUV capability to survive our crap roads. We lose giraffes in our potholes, which means a lowered car won't just get damaged by potholes - it'll get stuck in 'em and have to be winched out... :bonk:

If you don't believe me, check out 5th pic from the top (BTW those are our stock wheels in those pics - 16x6.5 +48 with 205/55-16 Yokohama DB's) http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=11036&page=42

Also, I'm 59 years old, and 235/40 on 17x7.5 was the 80's hot Beemer recipe which I loved then, and still love now. I love the square profile of the semi-slicks on a narrow'ish rim. I don't intend to track the car, but I've pushed them a bit already and I'm thrilled with them, especially the grip which is amazing, and I'm not getting any roll-under on 2.4 bar pressure. The ride is slightly harsher which is OK, and they're quite a bit noisier but only under 100kph which I can live with. Over 120kph there's no difference in noise, and over 200kph who gives a sh*t about noise anyway...
:burnrubber:

I'm not into the modern tyre stretching fad, and it's impractical exposing the sidewall and rim edge over here - the risk of damage is just too high.

The risk is also the reason for choosing cheapie wheels and tyres - I'm not going to cry too much if I wipe out a rim or tyre because they cost me a total of R12K which (at R9.46 / $1US) is about $1270 for wheels, tyres, lugs, balancing, alignment, fitting, everything.

I'm a happy camper in his 2nd childhood, and Lindy's loving it too.
Who said getting old is for sissies :w00t:

Timmy_Jones 05-22-2013 02:14 PM

I dig them, nice beefy tires. The only negative I see is the red pinstripe, against an orange vehicle....maybe do some red brakes? Red is just so close, but still clashes, only thing I dont like.

They are very different, I like them.

I would also like to see a picture of a giraffe in a pothole, we have some nasty roads here in Maine from the frost heaves.

Fish Eagle 05-22-2013 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones (Post 952696)
The only negative I see is the red pinstripe, against an orange vehicle...

Agreed, I'm not into the pinstripe either.
Someday I'll make it go away.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Timmy_Jones (Post 952696)
I would also like to see a picture of a giraffe in a pothole, we have some nasty roads here in Maine from the frost heaves.

Done... :happyanim:

FM Wheels 05-22-2013 02:36 PM

Quote:

I don't know if they're available outside South Africa
I actually carry them in the US under GTR sport.

Timmy_Jones 05-22-2013 02:38 PM

Ha, oh man. Giraffe in a pothole...wow.

FM Wheels 05-22-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Ha, oh man. Giraffe in a pothole...wow.
http://i.qkme.me/3rl3n5.jpg

DarrenDriven 07-08-2013 05:04 PM

Added to the Wheel Directory:
http://tinyurl.com/86wheels

LostSalad 03-26-2015 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Eagle (Post 952646)
I don't intend to track the car,

:bellyroll:

So I take it the A-Line wheels are good quality then? They only seem to have 1 or 2 in their range that aren't real zeff, which means that they're probably quite popular in the 86 crowd.... someone mentioned a certain model that everyone seems to pick up. Is it the A-Line Wizard (source)? They seem pretty nice, but... gotta be different yo.

Fish Eagle 03-26-2015 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LostSalad (Post 2185910)
:bellyroll:
So I take it the A-Line wheels are good quality then? They only seem to have 1 or 2 in their range that aren't real zeff, which means that they're probably quite popular in the 86 crowd.... someone mentioned a certain model that everyone seems to pick up. Is it the A-Line Wizard (source)? They seem pretty nice, but... gotta be different yo.

Wow, you've raked up a very old post here, and being an old fart I have no idea what zeff means or what your angle is...?
I don't have Wizard wheels, and I also don't understand the "angry" emoticon...

But if you're looking for my opinion, what can I say - I have two sets of A-Line wheels which were dirt cheap - R4600 a set.

Sure, I changed my mind, and learnt what an 86 is all about - I now do serious track sessions once a month and between the two sets of wheels they've seen 750+ track laps.

I'm a track addict, and my wheels are working great for me.
BTW - A-Line is the official supplier of wheels for the INEX Legend racecars.

I love 'em - no hassles, and they handle the heat very well.

Heat - huh? To give you an idea of heat - recently at Zwartkops I came off the track after a quite easy session and needed to change wheels and tyres to go home. Knowing they had to cool down before they can be handled, I drove up to the ZOC stand on the tabletop and chatted with the marshal for 30 mins, then went back to change wheels. And the wheels and wheelnuts were still almost too hot to handle.

If you're a poser, you probably shouldn't go A-Line, but they do have a massive range - about 40-50 styles.

If you want working wheels, you'll find them affordable and effective.

YMMV

LostSalad 03-28-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish Eagle (Post 2186250)
Wow, you've raked up a very old post here, and being an old fart I have no idea what zeff means or what your angle is...?
I don't have Wizard wheels, and I also don't understand the "angry" emoticon...

But if you're looking for my opinion, what can I say - I have two sets of A-Line wheels which were dirt cheap - R4600 a set.

Sure, I changed my mind, and learnt what an 86 is all about - I now do serious track sessions once a month and between the two sets of wheels they've seen 750+ track laps.

I'm a track addict, and my wheels are working great for me.
BTW - A-Line is the official supplier of wheels for the INEX Legend racecars.

I love 'em - no hassles, and they handle the heat very well.

Heat - huh? To give you an idea of heat - recently at Zwartkops I came off the track after a quite easy session and needed to change wheels and tyres to go home. Knowing they had to cool down before they can be handled, I drove up to the ZOC stand on the tabletop and chatted with the marshal for 30 mins, then went back to change wheels. And the wheels and wheelnuts were still almost too hot to handle.

If you're a poser, you probably shouldn't go A-Line, but they do have a massive range - about 40-50 styles.

If you want working wheels, you'll find them affordable and effective.

YMMV

This post is crazy old but I'm looking through the wheel directory, and your post was the only one under A-Line :)

Sorry that you took my post the wrong way, I think there were some signals crossed there :|. It's not an angry emoticon, it's rolling on the floor laughing at the fact that you said (back in the day) that you won't track and now you're posting vids of your lap times :thumbsup:. Was just a funny blast from the past.

By zeff I just meant "poser" in the sense that what I saw from their lineup most of the wheels seemed meant for looks - eg. if you like rolling your Polo around the streets at night, rather than a more subtle look that emphasises function (which I think most people driving the 86 would appreciate more). Well that's just my opinion of course :). What you say about heat makes sense, and it's good to know that they hold up. Also good to know that before trying to change the wheels o_o

Your recommendation convinced me though, should be good. Importing stuff here is crazy expensive (like R25k for a set of Oz's) so it will be awesome and easier to get stuff available locally.

EDIT: just to clarify what I meant - you say that they have a big lineup but (and this is subjective) - I think only a few of those would make sense on an 86. This means that the chances of ending up with the same wheels as other 86 guys becomes quite a bit higher. Added to this is that I overheard someone say "yes, everyone ends up going for the A-Line <name>". I want to keep my car a bit unique, so I was wondering if you knew if there was a particularly popular wheel :)

Fish Eagle 03-28-2015 01:28 PM

Cool. I always though that was an angry emoticon.
Sometimes I think I'm too old for the Internet - ha-ha!! :)