Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   DD Brake Pad (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138292)

jhalagian 12-25-2019 03:55 PM

DD Brake Pad

Was interested in getting a recommendation or two for a brake pad. I primarily DD the car, but do spirited driving where I have found the oem pads to start failing. I ride on a 255 RE71 tire. Looking for something that has improved cold bite, less brake fad, and minimal dusting. I believe a fan favorite is the DS2500.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

churchx 12-25-2019 04:32 PM

DS2500 dusts. Not the most dusty, but certainly more so then OE. Otherwise i liked it for DD/OEM+ role, it was on OE brakes and 225 PSS grip level though.

Nuts & Bolts Performance 12-25-2019 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhalagian (Post 3285836)
Was interested in getting a recommendation or two for a brake pad. I primarily DD the car, but do spirited driving where I have found the oem pads to start failing. I ride on a 255 RE71 tire. Looking for something that has improved cold bite, less brake fad, and minimal dusting. I believe a fan favorite is the DS2500.

Thanks!

I'd recommend the Hawk HPS 5.0. It's a good street+ pad.

You'll be hard pressed to find a good pad that handles a good amount of heat, had good cold bite and doesn't dust.

It's kind of like the thought of GOOD, CHEAP & FAST. Pick 2 because you can't have all 3 in 1.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

LancePower 12-25-2019 05:14 PM

TRD Pads

strat61caster 12-25-2019 06:11 PM

+1 TRD or Stoptech, sounds like ds2500 might be a little more aggressive than you need. I like dding my ferodos but the do squeal a touch around town.

Muskoka800 12-27-2019 10:23 AM

I changed to Stoptech Sport pads for an uncoming HPDE and Lapping sessions.
These pads were bedded in and work well for both DD and Lapping but have less cold bite than the OEM pads I removed. A real eye opener the first time out in "stop & go" GTA rush hour traffic.

pinoy_dorifto 12-27-2019 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhalagian (Post 3285836)

Thanks!

winmax W2-W3 for "spirited" driving and DD
winmax W4 is for Spirited and for track use in case you want to go to the track, but if not, W2 or W3

Clutch Dog 12-27-2019 04:11 PM

Ive used the W4 sole for track use (im nub and not heavy on the brakes yet) but Ive used ebc yellow stuff for street shenanigantry and autox.

the Hawk 5.0 seems to be the speed acedemy favorite for street tuned cars with light tracking.

DarkSunrise 12-27-2019 04:32 PM

I had a good experience using stoptech pads on this car. Quiet, decent cold bite, better heat capacity than stock, solid pedal feel. For a street pad, that's what I would be using on this car (and actually I am using them as a street pad on my wife's GTI).

radroach 12-27-2019 07:32 PM

My stoptechs are only OK for me, though at this time they are probably getting worn. I test them hard braking from 70 sometimes and am not impressed since they barely ever even trip the ABS system. Not sure what it's lacking in order to do its job. I liked the OEM pads feel better.

DarkSunrise 12-27-2019 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radroach (Post 3286253)
My stoptechs are only OK for me, though at this time they are probably getting worn. I test them hard braking from 70 sometimes and am not impressed since they barely ever even trip the ABS system. Not sure what it's lacking in order to do its job. I liked the OEM pads feel better.

That's interesting to hear. I know stoptech split their lineup into "Street" and "Performance" pads. I was using their old 309 series SP pads (which I assume had become their Performance line), but your review makes me wonder if they reformulated the pads in the process and somehow made them worse :iono:

Contender 12-27-2019 09:02 PM

I know you asked about pads but you said you do spirited driving where I have found the oem pads to start failing. What brake fluid you running dot 3 or 4 can make a difference in feeling.

Nuts & Bolts Performance 12-27-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Contender (Post 3286273)
I know you asked about pads but you said you do spirited driving where I have found the oem pads to start failing. What brake fluid you running dot 3 or 4 can make a difference in feeling.

Minimum requirement for the 86 (and most newer cars) is DOT4 fluid.

Vital 12-27-2019 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nuts & Bolts Performance (Post 3285841)
I'd recommend the Hawk HPS 5.0. It's a good street+ pad.

You'll be hard pressed to find a good pad that handles a good amount of heat, had good cold bite and doesn't dust.

It's kind of like the thought of GOOD, CHEAP & FAST. Pick 2 because you can't have all 3 in 1.

Do these squeal at all?