Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   (TSB) No More Crickets Under My Hood!! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18384)

soconfoozed 09-27-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsgerbc (Post 462885)
With full statistical backing I can tell you that if a survey of 10% of vehicles sold shows 80% incidence, then a true incidence is at least 8% which is already large.

So I really hope they revised the pump w/o changing the numbers. With TSB out they will have no choice but to repair'em again is this fix doesn't work, and then, after a few more tries, have to buy back those cars. Even MBA grads can calculate that it will cost dough, which is why I think they revised the pump.

For what it's worth, I never claimed there wasn't a design change.

You can't characterize the quality of the data. By my recollection more than one user posted samples of a non-chirping engine, claiming it chirps...and that's just users who posted with examples. Likewise, I think combined US sales are above 6k.

The potential incidence rate is high. But especially if the issue has already been addressed in new production, there's just no reason not to use a "bad" part that has a 90%+ likelihood of being good. You dump an order of magnitude every time you expect it to fail consecutively, and they're probably close to all being used up anyway. At some point you should start buying lottery tickets if you're worried about this.

Some proportion of customers probably won't notice, and some other proportion might think it's normal or possibly even accept it.

My issue with this noise all along has been that I didn't get to choose whether I accept it (I don't), and the car I signed for didn't sound like this...thus, I was willfully misled by Subaru.

fistpoint 09-27-2012 02:40 AM

If I'm reading the serials correctly, then the first 9025 vehicles are affected. I've been poking around AutoTrader using a 50 mile radius and viewing all the VIN's of available FR-S's.

The oldest entries are like Dx700050, Dx700069, Dx700179. I believe those to be the 50th, 69th, and 179th vehicles built. If that is correct, then that means there are several in my area that were built after the fix and ready for consumption.

deedz 09-27-2012 03:07 AM

about time! time to remove the intake :/

jstans84 09-27-2012 04:11 AM

Well, thank god I saw this thread, lol, I was just about to install my Injen intake when the sun came up. Looks like I will be holding off on that for a while.

*edit* Actually there really isn't a point in not installing the intake. Since this is a documented issue they can't claim that the intake caused it.

roddy 09-27-2012 06:53 AM

:happyanim:

enigmaaron 09-27-2012 07:59 AM

Good news, see people they are actually working to fix the problems. This should be moved to the TSB forum shouldn't it?

Justin.b 09-27-2012 08:04 AM

How do I read my VIN to determine if I am before the Effective VIN they published in the document?

I can't wait to get rid of this noise. It's been starting to bother me over the last few weeks - especially at the drive - through.

EDIT: Sorry... posted that pre-coffee.

-Justin

jeebus 09-27-2012 09:39 AM

based on the bulletin, this only applies to VINs before 9026....so they fixed it on cars going out the door?

Tanuki 09-27-2012 09:43 AM

sweet, I bet my new one comes fixed!

To be fair though, I only really notice the crickets when the car idols and I get out to grab something. I don't notice it while driving at all.

jadewbj 09-27-2012 09:58 AM

Hmm, i am actually before it but have never heard the crickets. I will have to listen more carefully. I don't want to get it just to get it.

xxscaxx 09-27-2012 10:04 AM

You don't need to listen carefully. If you have it, its EXTREMELY noticeable. It drives me nuts. Shutting the car off produces a crazy noise too from it.

jstans84 09-27-2012 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deedzman (Post 462953)
about time! time to remove the intake :/

Unless I'm completely mistaken you shouldn't need to remove your intake to get the dealer to fix this. Since there is a TSB about it and it is a noted issue on our cars they can't claim that your intake caused the problem. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong on this)

raul 09-27-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaJoian (Post 462825)
Are they using the same exact part?... Their parts number are the "same" ... :iono:

They have to keep the part numbers the same, otherwise they would have to put a recall on the service manuals. It avoids nasty confusion when ordering parts. If a part number is changed after the service manual is published, a mechanic would have to keep up with part number changes and that's really messy so they keep the part numbers the same. They only have to worry about revision.

jadewbj 09-27-2012 10:17 AM

I am waiting for the pass side auto roll down window switch tsb.