Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   May 2010 Car&Driver issue FT-86 article - "25 Cars Worth Waiting For" (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529)

JDMinc 04-02-2010 10:36 AM

May 2010 Car&Driver issue FT-86 article - "25 Cars Worth Waiting For"

2 Attachment(s)
Heres some scans

alex2364 04-02-2010 11:30 AM

What other cars were on the list? The baby Boxster sounds interesting to me.

RRnold 04-02-2010 01:17 PM

"Following the launch of the natually aspirated version, a turbo engine with about 230 ponies..."

A N/A and a Turbo version would make this car a sweeter deal! I really hope they release both. :thumbsup:

NESW20 04-02-2010 01:25 PM

what does that scatter plot indicate? what are the axes? can you scan the whole article? thanks!

-Mike

FT-HS 04-02-2010 01:37 PM

On the Front Cover it says, "Toyota FT86, Intended Acceleration", wasn't that a comment that a forum member once said on this forum? If it is then either the author copied the forum member, or the forum member copied the author somehow, or maybe they are both original thinkers. Either way, I suppose it was funny to read the second time.

Midship Runabout 04-02-2010 01:52 PM

I would say original thinkers
All these jokes about Toyotas lately are just like their cars... they need to stop... :bellyroll:

[es vi: eks] 04-02-2010 03:54 PM

Allumuim Body pannels????

Can any one comfirm this?
If not some one go to the next show its on display and see if a magnect sticks lol.

Tougerenner 04-02-2010 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [es vi: eks] (Post 13340)
Allumuim Body pannels????

It could happen, I have seen it on other cars. My WRX wagon has and from what I know all 02-07 WRX and STi have aluminized hoods, where as the RS/i/OBS imprezas have steel. I do not know about 08+hoods. Also I think 04-07 WRX and STi sedans have aluminized front fenders as well

Henwee 04-02-2010 07:56 PM

Someone care to explain what that cross graph in the center with all the dots represent?

zigzagz94 04-02-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Henwee (Post 13353)
Someone care to explain what that cross graph in the center with all the dots represent?

It's a graphical representation of how exciting the car is and how much it will cost you.

The vertical axis has the words "Insane" at the top and "Tame" at the bottom. The horizontal axis has the words "Detroit Bonus" on the far left edge and "Wall-Street Bonus" at the far right.

The FT-86 rates near the top of the insane level of the fun quotient but closer to the detroit bonus level on cost. The only cars more "insane" are the BMW M5, Baby boxster, camaro convertible, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG convertible, Jaguar XE, and the Ferrari 458. Pretty good company for the FT-86.

The Ferrari 458 Italia Spyder is completely off the chart by the way...
And don't be confused by that second line coming from the Hyundai velositer box it actually goes underneath that box to one about the Jaguar XE. The hyundai is not more expensive or more "insane" than the FT-86, lol.

Myka 04-02-2010 08:18 PM

I'm really glad to see automakers focus on the ridiculous weight that has been an issue over the past 20 years. It's not just toyota, porsche looks like they are trying to bring back sensible weight too.

NESW20 04-02-2010 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zigzagz94 (Post 13354)
It's a graphical representation of how exciting the car is and how much it will cost you.

The vertical axis has the words "Insane" at the top and "Tame" at the bottom. The horizontal axis has the words "Detroit Bonus" on the far left edge and "Wall-Street Bonus" at the far right.

The FT-86 rates near the top of the insane level of the fun quotient but closer to the detroit bonus level on cost. The only cars more "insane" are the BMW M5, Baby boxster, camaro convertible, Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG convertible, Jaguar XE, and the Ferrari 458. Pretty good company for the FT-86.

The Ferrari 458 Italia Spyder is completely off the chart by the way...
And don't be confused by that second line coming from the Hyundai velositer box it actually goes underneath that box to one about the Jaguar XE. The hyundai is not more expensive or more "insane" than the FT-86, lol.

so it wasn't good enough when i asked what it meant???? :) j/k, lol. thanks for the explanation! makes a lot more sense now.

-Mike

mike2100 04-03-2010 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tougerenner (Post 13349)
It could happen, I have seen it on other cars. My WRX wagon has and from what I know all 02-07 WRX and STi have aluminized hoods, where as the RS/i/OBS imprezas have steel. I do not know about 08+hoods. Also I think 04-07 WRX and STi sedans have aluminized front fenders as well

The RX-8 has a bunch of aluminum body panels. Great for lightness but a royal PITA if you ever want to get some dents/dings removed.

Don't get me wrong, I still prefer aluminum for lightness :) I do not intend to park my 86 anywhere near the fronts of store parking lots.

zigzagz94 04-03-2010 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NESW20 (Post 13358)
so it wasn't good enough when i asked what it meant???? :) j/k, lol. thanks for the explanation! makes a lot more sense now.

-Mike

MY BAD!!!

Sorry about that bro. I was drinking and probably just skimmed right past your post. I'll try to pay attention more next time. :happy0180: