Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   PERRIN MOTOR MOUNTS FR-S & BRZ Just arrived PICTURES (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26206)

gmookher 01-11-2013 10:41 PM

PERRIN MOTOR MOUNTS FR-S & BRZ Just arrived PICTURES

4 Attachment(s)
Nope, not mounted for a few more weeks, but here they are.
I would say they are a must have for anyone tracking their 86s
Tune required, not for stockers!

Sorry about the big pics! Shot with my ipad while eating dinner...
The urethane bushing is stamped Energy Suspension

whataboutbob 01-11-2013 10:49 PM

Nice LARGE pics. ;)

cobrabyte 01-12-2013 01:38 AM

Hrm. Not digging the spacers. I was hoping Perrin would make an FA20-specific mount but it looks like a spacer added to the EJ mounts will make 'em work. :iono:

Curious... on the face that mounts against the engine... is there a seat on each of those holes for the spacer to sit into? Or, is it just flush against the face?

Thanks

Pete 01-12-2013 10:40 AM

Hey Gem, these look good but educate me, what do these do for you?

gmookher 01-12-2013 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 660651)
Hey Gem, these look good but educate me, what do these do for you?

Well, I'm not the engineer who made them Jeff Perrin is, so he's better off answering this but I will try

Inside the Energy suspension bushing is a molded in steel insert, that has the inner workings of -well, the best analogy would be a ball and socket.

See pictures, million words..

-Then, realize the factory design is like a hockey puck sized rubber of softer durometer, rather than urethane, and its not captive internally, its just bonded on both sides to metal plates. These bonds are the failure points. Sure its got a level of captivity to its design as well, but not the same. Its been known to both fail and give to excessive movement under high loads, especially when they get hot, and where I live, it does get pretty hot, then you add the way I drive, more power and catering to my pleasure as a lab rat for FI, it made sense to buy these and benefit their added bonuses. Set it and forget it type of build, buy the stuff that will make you enjoy it the most.

-The Perrin mount is not only captive, but also of stiffer material than stock, and of more robust design overall. Ideal for anyone exceeding the stock vehicle power specs, and I'd say essential for folks adding FI as far as having a mount thats more stout than stock. Safety with greater MTBF and load capacity.

-Like any hardened motor mount, it will help reduce the entire drivetrain movement under acceleration and deceleration, which assists in more efficiently transmiting more power to the ground.

-improved reliability under racing and other extreme conditions that can tear apart OEM mounts, which can make for a bad day at the track.

-Differences-like any car mounts on a Subaru absorb the vibration from the engine and keep the engine in place while it is running, but you can feel more NVH, while havent put this on my BRZ yet, I have HD mounts on other vehicles in my garage, so I'm pretty familiar with the added NVH, and as Perrins blog points out, its mostly at idle, and mostly for folks who arent on a stock tune, so the rpms can be raised 100-150 to get out of that idle where the motor's "resonant operational frequency" is low enough to be felt. Just a little should do the trick. I like how they feel, I can 'read' my motor better.

if youre bone stock you may enjoy it, but I doubt its at all justifiable unless youre like drag racing your stock car, but who does that?

hope that helps

Pete 01-12-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmookher (Post 660690)
...hope that helps

It did help, as in now I know WTF it is when before I did not. :)

So do you think these will be worth while for the Perrin/Vortech kit for solely street driving? I am waiting on shipping for the kit now. Maybe I'm crazy but a bit more NVH could be a good thing after the sound tube is gone.

Edit: and won't I have to lift the engine to get the overpipe on anyway?

gmookher 01-12-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pete (Post 660741)
It did help, as in now I know WTF it is when before I did not. :)

So do you think these will be worth while for the Perrin/Vortech kit for solely street driving? I am waiting on shipping for the kit now. Maybe I'm crazy but a bit more NVH could be a good thing after the sound tube is gone.

Edit: and won't I have to lift the engine to get the overpipe on anyway?

yah thats not a bad time to do this
yeah, i think you'd benefit it even on a street car too if youre going FI
I dont think OE is up to the task

Sargy 01-12-2013 05:15 PM

Finally, my cabin could use a little vibration.

Touge Monster 01-12-2013 06:29 PM

Nope, not mounted for a few more weeks, but here they are.
I would say they are a must have for anyone tracking their 86s
Tune required, not for stockers!

Im confused why would you need to tune for mounts??

let me know how you like em I have the cusco trans mount brace and I love it best mod so far.

gmookher 01-12-2013 06:35 PM

tune raises the rpms a little...smooths it out.
I too have tranny mount, went with whiteline for this one

tech4pdx 01-12-2013 06:39 PM

Thanks for this. One of my favorite mods on past cars as well. (:

Touge Monster 01-12-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gmookher (Post 661177)
tune raises the rpms a little...smooths it out.
I too have tranny mount, went with whiteline for this one

Cool that's what I figured gonna have to get me a set later

OrbitalEllipses 01-12-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrabyte (Post 660337)
Hrm. Not digging the spacers. I was hoping Perrin would make an FA20-specific mount but it looks like a spacer added to the EJ mounts will make 'em work. :iono:

And that's why I'll wait for an FA20 specific mount from TIC/MAW or the like...if I even want them. I didn't even go aftermarket on the WRX, just Group-N because they added the least NVH.

gmookher 01-12-2013 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses (Post 661276)
And that's why I'll wait for an FA20 specific mount from TIC/MAW or the like...if I even want them. I didn't even go aftermarket on the WRX, just Group-N because they added the least NVH.

You probably wanna see what the user experience here is before you determine its not for you, tho I'm curious what other vendors bring to the market.