Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Driver Upper Window Seal (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99692)

Bamsterman 01-06-2016 02:49 PM

Driver Upper Window Seal

I know this has been discussed previously, but there's so many different answers, and opinions on this.

My FRS upper driver window seal is "rolling" when the window rolls up. Besides replacing the part, I've done everything else. Cleaning, greasing, lubing...still have the same issue. A lot of wind noise on the highway too.

Now, my question: Is the only part needing to be replaced the upper seal (part number SU003-01634) or is there more involved? Like window adjustment/realignment, initializing, and so on...

Also, did the BRZ have the same issue? If so, what was the fix? Same seal? Does anyone have the part number for that seal?

Thank you all in advance!

lupindub 01-06-2016 05:36 PM

I'm pretty positive that replacing the seal will only make the problem come back. The root of the problem is that the window is not aligned properly and causing the seal to roll up.

Bamsterman 01-06-2016 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lupindub (Post 2500374)
I'm pretty positive that replacing the seal will only make the problem come back. The root of the problem is that the window is not aligned properly and causing the seal to roll up.

I've read that as well. Which makes perfect sense. But those same people who had that done ALSO had the belt molding issue. The TSB for that issue calls for the window to be realigned or initialized...then other people have said that there dealer only replaced the upper window/door seal.

Have you had this problem before?

lupindub 01-06-2016 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamsterman (Post 2500394)
I've read that as well. Which makes perfect sense. But those same people who had that done ALSO had the belt molding issue. The TSB for that issue calls for the window to be realigned or initialized...then other people have said that there dealer only replaced the upper window/door seal.

Yep my driver's side seal rolls up - especially when it rains or when there is a lot of condensation. I have learned to live with it and am not planning to get it fixed unless water starts leaking in which it hasn't.

TofuJoe 01-06-2016 06:32 PM

Is there a photo of what this looks like? Mine is slightly off, too.

lupindub 01-06-2016 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TofuJoe (Post 2500453)
Is there a photo of what this looks like? Mine is slightly off, too.

It looks like this:

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99082

Tcoat 01-06-2016 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lupindub (Post 2500374)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamsterman (Post 2500394)

As bolded. If the dealer is lazy, cuts corners or is in any other way incompetent and only replaces the rubber without changing the guides and realigning the window (as the TSB specifically calls for) the problem will just come back. Properly done the TSB will completely resolve the issue.
There are temporary ways to resolve it (such as lubing the seal) if you catch it soon enough but it does not get rid of the root cause and has to be redone periodically.

P3tras 01-06-2016 07:39 PM

My BRZ has the same issue. Anyone has link to TSB? It would be interesting read, if it has any info about window realignment.

Tcoat 01-06-2016 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P3tras (Post 2500526)
My BRZ has the same issue. Anyone has link to TSB? It would be interesting read, if it has any info about window realignment.

The BRZ one isn't listed but there must be one.
Here is the FRS one:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1409711423

You will see that stabilisers have to be changed. This is the step I think some dealers skip.
NOTE: This does not mention the rubber seal but the change in stabilisers seems to fix the issue.

frslee 01-08-2016 10:47 AM

@Bamsterman if your car is under warranty, have them replace it. I had mine dealer replace it and new part looks to be thicker and smoother.

Bamsterman 01-08-2016 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frslee (Post 2502476)
@Bamsterman if your car is under warranty, have them replace it. I had mine dealer replace it and new part looks to be thicker and smoother.

I definitely would, if it was still under warranty. :sigh: Actually, if it was just the seal that needed to be replaced, I would just do that myself. But with the window needing to be aligned, I'd rather just have the dealer handle it all.

Do you happen to have the part number for the one that was replaced?

frslee 01-08-2016 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bamsterman (Post 2502779)
I definitely would, if it was still under warranty. :sigh: Actually, if it was just the seal that needed to be replaced, I would just do that myself. But with the window needing to be aligned, I'd rather just have the dealer handle it all.

Do you happen to have the part number for the one that was replaced?

Yea, found my old post. On paper from dealer's paper, it shows SU003-01634. However if you take a look at the revised TSB, that one shows SU003-05208.

Either way, I believe the dealer should use the newest part.

If you want to temporarily fix the issue, I have a solution.. I tried and it worked. Use the matte-type tape that has very smooth finish. Clean the affected weather strip and apply the tape where it contacts window glass. As long as it sticks to the rubber, you're good to go. It's going to look a bit funny when you open door/roll down window, but at least the rubber isn't going to roll when window is closed. Try it and let me know.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Scotch-Magic-Tape-Inches-104/dp/B00005C3YY/ref=sr_1_4?s=office-products&ie=UTF8&qid=1452277703&sr=1-4&keywords=3m+magic+tape"]Amazon.com : Scotch Magic Tape, 1/2 x 450 Inches (104) : Clear Tapes : Office Products[/ame]

Bamsterman 01-08-2016 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frslee (Post 2502815)
Yea, found my old post. On paper from dealer's paper, it shows SU003-01634. However if you take a look at the revised TSB, that one shows SU003-05208.

Either way, I believe the dealer should use the newest part.

If you want to temporarily fix the issue, I have a solution.. I tried and it worked. Use the matte-type tape that has very smooth finish. Clean the affected weather strip and apply the tape where it contacts window glass. As long as it sticks to the rubber, you're good to go. It's going to look a bit funny when you open door/roll down window, but at least the rubber isn't going to roll when window is closed. Try it and let me know.

Amazon.com : Scotch Magic Tape, 1/2 x 450 Inches (104) : Clear Tapes : Office Products

SU003-01634 This number shows as the upper seal that keeps catching. But, this number SU003-05208 shows up as the belt molding thats actually on the door. Maybe its that both parts are replaced...Either way, I'll be taking it to the dealer. And thanks for the tip with the tape! Will definitely give that a shot for temp fix.

Ultramaroon 01-09-2016 12:23 AM

Here's why the seal rolls up.

1. early 13 MYs window index was 2 cm so, with each door open/close the window rubs through the top of the seal. Both door switches must be replaced with updated ones set to index only 1 cm.

2. Window is too tight. Requires alignment to ease it out a little. Not trivial. I've spent a great deal of time getting familiar with how the mechanism 'likes' to be aligned.