Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   FRS vs BRZ shocks question (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129951)

LotsaMiles 08-31-2018 09:47 AM

FRS vs BRZ shocks question

This is really an "after the fact" question since I already bought my new shocks, but here goes:

Back when I bought my 2013 FRS new, I read a lot of reviews comparing the FRS to the BRZ. One difference I found interesting was the suspension. Even the YouTube videos mentioned it. The claim was that the FRS had softer springs and stiffer shocks while the BRZ had stiffer springs but softer shocks.

But when I look up shocks nowadays, the part numbers for both cars are identical, at least in all the aftermarket brands I've checked (I just purchased the KYB excel G's from Amazon).

Is this just a "hey, it's close enough" sort of thing?

Tcoat 08-31-2018 10:15 AM

Depends on what you are looking for. The differences between the two models (and even different years of the same models) really were not huge to start with. For most street applications they are indeed "close enough" to be considered the same. If looking for a particular set up to match your track driving style then the differences are magnified.

Bonburner 08-31-2018 07:07 PM

I remember they used to have different suspensions in the first 2-3 years, but now they share suspension.

Long story short, they're more comfortable for daily driving now.

Also, the aftermarkets always made 1 type (of each product line) for the twins .. as they were identical/compatible products.

Decep 08-31-2018 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonburner (Post 3128348)

Long story short, they're more comfortable for daily driving now.

Big time.. 2018 86 springs/sachs dampers on my 2013 frs made it so compliant on nasty pavement. added the slightly fatter rear sway bar too.

Bonburner 08-31-2018 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decep (Post 3128350)
Big time.. 2018 86 springs/sachs dampers on my 2013 frs made it so compliant on nasty pavement. added the slightly fatter rear sway bar too.

Honestly I was debating swapping out the rear suspension for the newer set up for daily driving hahaha

That gen1 suspension so hard and rough that my gf complains of her boobs jiggling because of it

:laughabove:

new2subaru 08-31-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonburner (Post 3128353)
That gen1 suspension so hard and rough that my gf complains of her boobs jiggling because of it

Funny you say that because when I switched to RCE yellows my wife said her boobs jiggled less. Got the thumbs up :thumbsup:

Decep 09-01-2018 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2subaru (Post 3128397)
Funny you say that because when I switched to RCE yellows my wife said her boobs jiggled less. Got the thumbs up :thumbsup:

That's interesting. The soon-to-be-wifey noticed the RCEs right away. They were pretty bad on broken/uneven pavement. Fantastic on smooth winding roads though.. sigh

Tried sneaking them on but no go. Ended up going to 2018 suspension.

Decep 09-01-2018 12:31 AM

Quote:

Honestly I was debating swapping out the rear suspension for the newer set up for daily driving hahaha

definitely worth it, check the classifieds here. otherwise you can get OEM springs for like $200 from toyota. not sure about subaru but afaik same springs.

humfrz 09-01-2018 12:40 AM

Quote:

This post is useless without a video - :iono:

humfrz

new2subaru 09-01-2018 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Decep (Post 3128450)
That's interesting. The soon-to-be-wifey noticed the RCEs right away. They were pretty bad on broken/uneven pavement. Fantastic on smooth winding roads though.. sigh

Tried sneaking them on but no go. Ended up going to 2018 suspension.

I'm not sure they're any worse and on pavement, could be. The stock shocks were jarring too on crappy roads.

I have access to country roads that are in really good shape withing 5-10 minutes, depending on which direction I go. That's where we drive most of the time and that's where the RCE's shine, like you said.

meadowz06 09-01-2018 09:42 AM

I can tell no difference in ride, between my 13 and 16.

TommyW 09-01-2018 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new2subaru (Post 3128397)

I'd be takin' those Yellows back off

gravitylover 09-01-2018 10:31 AM

Quote:

I kinda like watching my wifes boobs jiggle on rough roads :thumbup:

guybo 09-01-2018 11:35 AM

We've all heard of butt dyno for engine changes, now we have boob dyno for for suspension changes? :needpics: AND VIDEO or I ain't buyin' it!