Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   State Farm's Drive Safe and Save: Anyone have experience with this plan? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11206)

b.e 07-10-2012 12:01 PM

State Farm's Drive Safe and Save: Anyone have experience with this plan?

State Farm, my insurance provider, has a new thing in Utah where they track your mileage and driving, and if your driving appears "safe" to them, they give a discount on the premium. The tracking is done by the Hughes In-Drive device, which (I think) plugs into the ODBII connector and communicates with a cellular system. No GPS tracking, just cell-derived location. I think it also has acceleration (or the ECU does), enough for State Farm to tell if you're hot-rodding around.

My big question is, will I likely save on the premium driving an FRS?

Here is all the info I can find: http://www.in-drive.com/sf

Rossman 07-10-2012 12:30 PM

I'm personally not comfortable with that level of monitoring by a private company, but, I can see why some people might be into it (the money saving aspect).

Frankly I don't really break any traffic laws as I am too old for that nonsense but even so I wouldn't care for such a system.

pyro530 07-10-2012 12:38 PM

Yeah, progressive has a similar program.
I don't think I'm going to participate in the program since I don't think they would consider me a safe driver. :confused0068: Heck, they might even raise my rates.:sigh:

Lonewolf 07-10-2012 12:40 PM

I am strongly opposed to this type of surveillance.

First, this is a test bed for what is to come. (Compulsory monitors in 10 years to get decent rates anyone?)

Second, let's say you need to pass a car blocking you in your lane, and you accelerate above the speed limit, just momentarily, to get around this other car. The insurance company sees that, and boom, higher rates!???

***I don't drive like a maniac, but I also don't drive like a grandma, so this would never be an option for me.

ducks 07-10-2012 12:58 PM

privacy issues aside, as for the discount, it all depends on how/when you drive. if you're driving during rush hour both ways 5-6 days a week with a 20+ mile commute next to bad drivers, i doubt you'll get a discount. if you drive safely during off peak hours on shorter trips, you'll probably get some kind of break. read more into what data they use to determine any discounts and see if you fall into their "good driver" guidelines with your normal driving routine.

K2 07-10-2012 04:07 PM

How can these existing monitors tell the "safe" driver from the moron who drives slowly but is constantly making bone head moves like blowing through stop signs, illegal turns/lane changes, poor lane discipline, texting while driving etc.?

Lonewolf 07-10-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K2 (Post 306842)
How can these existing monitors tell the "safe" driver from the moron who drives slowly but is constantly making bone head moves like blowing through stop signs, illegal turns/lane changes, poor lane discipline, texting while driving etc.?

Good points...

Or the person who goes 10 under the speed limit when its wide open and makes other people drive like maniacs to get around/away from them?

Mitch 07-10-2012 05:37 PM

1) Plug in to OBDII port.
2) Autocross.
3) ????
4) Profit.

b.e 07-10-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by K2 (Post 306842)

The rules they use are what I'm hoping to find out from other's experience. They don't get tracking info, just which 40 sq. mile square you are in. They get miles driven, and some acceleration and braking data. I'm hoping someone has some experience with this and has a sense of how extreme you can drive before you lose the discount.

EDIT: Of course I realize I may need to get the thing and find out for myself. It's free for 6 months.

des 07-10-2012 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by b.e (Post 307406)
The rules they use are what I'm hoping to find out from other's experience. They don't get tracking info, just which 40 sq. mile square you are in. They get miles driven, and some acceleration and braking data. I'm hoping someone has some experience with this and has a sense of how extreme you can drive before you lose the discount.

EDIT: Of course I realize I may need to get the thing and find out for myself. It's free for 6 months.

You can try Progressive's program without switching insurers, as of yesterday.

Progressive looks at three things: how many miles you drive, what time of day you drive, and how often "hard braking events" are recorded. Their device plugs into your OBDII; they can calculate whether or not you'll be getting a discount after 30 days, but they will ask you to keep it connected longer if you stay with the program.

They won't penalize you; the worst thing that can happen is that you don't get a discount. Most people drive too many miles to get the biggest discounts, and "hard braking events" seem to be far more common than you would guess. The service is free, both as a trial and after enrollment.

If you can max out the discount, it's a big one: 30 percent. I don't think most people come close.

State Farm's equivalent is the Drive Safe and Save program -- InDrive is the telematics component. It weighs how many miles you drive more than anything; the InDrive component reports your mileage to the company. Mileage = risk.

If you currently have a low-mileage discount, it's probably based on your self-reported estimate. This takes out the guesswork. The flip side is that if you already get a mileage discount (usually below 7,500 miles a year), you could lose it if you have a very busy period before renewal.

Otherwise, State Farm does look at information that Progressive doesn't -- like your speed and acceleration. They say they won't use it to surcharge you.

You do have to switch to State Farm to try it, and even the basic program carries a charge after six months.

b.e 07-10-2012 11:55 PM

Thanks for the info, des. Well, I guess only testing it out will tell for the FRS, but for my Tundra, which doesn't get driven all that much any more, I'm sure I'll see substantial savings (State Farm goes to a max discount of 50%, that would be worth it).

bloodknight 01-09-2013 07:20 AM

Don't do it !

So this is where we are going.Telitrack for private vehicles.We have been using this for years to track our company trucks.More big brother watching you.Many times it gives out the wrong info.We had vehicles tracked to the middle of lake Michigan.I was tracked on the tri-state tollway going 99 miles per hour for 1/2 hour at 5pm.Impossible.Someone sits at a computer and watches where you go,what you do,etc.Do you want someone watching you or your family whenever your in your vehicle?Plus the info can be stored for years.Need I go on ?:thumbdown:

Walla Walla 01-09-2013 07:37 AM

we have the same kind of thing in qc province, and i work for one of those company.
it gives discount on how you drive (within speed limit, no hard acceleration, or hard braking, etc) and it is not about *if i brake hard once for a good reason, boom, higher rates*

it depens on how much km/miles you do and how many times you brake hard/go over speed limit....

and guess what... customer who wants to drive safely by does standard really save, and also have a lot less accident then they *should*... but in our company, that kind of service is really for youger drivers (18-25) ... the goal is to let them buy a new car, and don't pay crazy insurance amount if they drive safe

as for the privacy.... do you really think that an insurance agent have fun looking at where someone he don't know has done his grocery (and that is if he had acces to the data!)
we already have gps in our cell phone, black box in our car, we have mortgagee on our house, social security numbers and ip address.... thinking that we don't want to have a gps in our car so we can preserve our privacy, is keeping our heads in the sand... (and guess what... cars are a ot harder to stole with that device... ;) )

#87 01-09-2013 10:34 AM

What will they do if you install it and drive like a complete loony? Are they able to deny coverage or is it only for seeing if you qualify for a discount?

What does the fine print say?