Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Has BRZ value tanked or am I just being lowballed? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128118)

iggy 06-05-2018 02:13 PM

Has BRZ value tanked or am I just being lowballed?

The title says it all.

I'm in the process of switching careers and looking to lower my expenses, so as much as I love the car it's time to sell it.

I've posted it for sales in the usual places (cars.com, cargurus, craigslist and FB marketplace) and have been bombarded by a bunch of lowball offers....but very little real interest.

Is it the places I'm listing the car or just the general shitstorm that is selling an enthusiast car?

TM 06-05-2018 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggy (Post 3095429)
The title says it all.

I'm in the process of switching careers and looking to lower my expenses, so as much as I love the car it's time to sell it.

I've posted it for sales in the usual places (cars.com, cargurus, craigslist and FB marketplace) and have been bombarded by a bunch of lowball offers....but very little real interest.

Is it the places I'm listing the car or just the general shitstorm that is selling an enthusiast car?

What year is your BRZ and how much are posting it for?

Tons of used BRZs can be found for pretty cheap nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NoHaveMSG 06-05-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggy (Post 3095429)
The title says it all.

The best thing to do is look at what cars similar to yours are posted for in your area. Over here the prices very a lot since the car scene is pretty meh.

iggy 06-05-2018 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TM (Post 3095433)
What year is your BRZ and how much are posting it for?

It's a 2014 Limited 6MT with 47,500 miles. I have it listed for $17,250. Cargurus says fair market value is $17k.

My car is CPO and the warranty will transfer to the new owner for a small ($75) fee, verified with SOA so I'm making sure to mention that in all listings in hopes that helps the overall value.

NoHaveMSG 06-05-2018 02:37 PM

You also have to remember the 15's got some engine updates and 17' and up got a facelift and even more updates.

funwheeldrive 06-05-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iggy (Post 3095445)
It's a 2014 Limited 6MT with 47,500 miles. I have it listed for $17,250. Cargurus says fair market value is $17k.

My car is CPO and the warranty will transfer to the new owner for a small ($75) fee, verified with SOA so I'm making sure to mention that in all listings in hopes that helps the overall value.

Go get an appraisal from CarMax. I bet you will get close to that. They pay pretty well.

JazzleSAURUS 06-05-2018 03:12 PM

I have my '15 with 41k listed at 16.5k stock, 19k with the modifications in my signature along with 3 sets of wheels and tires (plus all the stock parts!) and people are asking me if I'll accept monthly payments...

NCtoBRZ 06-05-2018 03:30 PM

The twins tend to attract a younger buyer. I would be willing to bet that most of the insanely lowball offers and offers to make monthly payments are coming from younger people who are barely making over minimum wage.
At the same time, as mentioned, there have been a couple of refreshes since the 2014 year model and your car is getting close to the end of the factory drivetrain warranty so that limits the appeal to some extent.

Aluma007 06-05-2018 10:07 PM

I was offered 18000 for my 17 brz limited at a local dealership on a trade in...local subaru offered like 21000...kbb and nada had it at over 23000 without any mods.

extrashaky 06-05-2018 10:08 PM

KBB says the car you described in the Philadelphia area is worth $14K to $16K, average right at $15K in a private party sale. Edmunds says it's worth $14K.

Based on an average depreciation curve for a used car, a four year old BRZ shouldn't be worth more than about $13K now. So no, BRZ value has not tanked. It's actually still doing better than average.

If you don't like the offers you're getting, don't accept them. But keep in mind the car is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If I understand correctly, you bought it used, so it's already been through at least two owners. If I were in the market for a used BRZ, I'd be checking KBB and Edmunds, then not paying higher than their ranges for a vehicle that may or may not have been through two cycles of abuse already before I get it.

Summerwolf 06-05-2018 10:59 PM

These cars don't really sell when you try to get a real value from them. There are too many in the market going for pennies on the dollar, and a lot of people get rid of them after short ownership cycles. It's definitely a buyers market now that they've been out for a while.

TM 06-05-2018 11:12 PM

Has BRZ value tanked or am I just being lowballed?

Heh, I remember back in the days when it was first released, dealers were selling this car for $7,000 ABOVE MSRP...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

extrashaky 06-06-2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3095667)
These cars don't really sell when you try to get a real value from them.

What's "a real value"?

These cars are still doing better than the average depreciation curve for a used car. They have more residual equity left in them than they should. Is that "fake value"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3095667)
There are too many in the market going for pennies on the dollar...

Show me where you're finding too many BRZs selling for "pennies on the dollar" that aren't wrecked or don't have salvage titles.

Dan37BRZ 06-06-2018 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by funwheeldrive (Post 3095452)
Go get an appraisal from CarMax. I bet you will get close to that. They pay pretty well.

Yup, I went to CarMax and they gave me over KBB trade-in.

2015 Limited 6spd with 30k miles, got $16,500 from CarMax, I think KBB trade-in was like 15,500-16,000. Easy peasy, in and out with a check in 45 minutes.