Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Motorauthority lying? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2563)

dominican 12-01-2011 03:30 PM

Motorauthority lying?

I did a quick look through all of the posts here, I didn't see this posted, and I have lots of questions.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ls-live-photos

Look at that link or read this:

-------

http://images.thecarconnection.com/m...00371867_m.jpg

At about the same price, would you buy a new rear-wheel-drive 2013 Subaru BRZ sports coupe or an all-wheel-drive Subaru WRX STI? With both cars ringing in at approximately the same price, you might think that the new BRZ might divert customers from the legendary rally hatchback. But as we saw at the Tokyo Motor Show yesterday, as Subaru officially pulled the wraps off its production BRZ, this all-new coupe will appeal to a very different crowd.
With the BRZ’s first show, Subaru released extensive technical and feature information for the model, which, officials say, will start in the vicinity of the STI’s base $34,095 (for 2012)—or slightly lower.

BRZ for more affluent, sophisticated crowd than FR-S

Elaborating a bit on how the BRZ matches up with Scion’s FR-S, which is closely related, Subaru said that its customers for BRZ will be more mature and affluent than those looking at the Scion; and thus, Subaru’s model will sell for several thousand dollars more but include considerably more equipment, such as HID headlamps, keyless start, and automatic climate control. Additionally, the BRZ's front grille and airdam appear somewhat more aggressive than that of the Scion FR-S—although we might not be getting the uniquely chiseled rear valance in the BRZ shown at Tokyo.

The BRZ’s curb weight of under 2,800 pounds isn’t high by today’s standards, but within a few model years, considering all the weight-reduction initiatives within rival automakers, it could be one of the more portly vehicles in its class.

Premium fuel is required for this new turbocharged, direct-injection 2.0-liter horizontally opposed (‘flat’) four-cylinder engine. Termed D-4S, it borrows Toyota direct-injection components and has a perfectly square 86-cm bore and stroke. In U.S. form, expect it to produce just over 200 horsepower and near 155 pound-feet of torque. Transmissions are Toyota (Aisin) units—a six-speed automatic and a six-speed manual, both adapted by Subaru for the brand’s longitudinal layout and flat-four engines.

The return of frameless doors!

Also of note is that the BRZ is a return to form for Subaru: There are no door frames. With the frameless doors comes an especially strong application of Subaru’s ring structure, with more high-tensile-strength steel than even other recently introduced models. Furthermore, the BRZ was designed from the start with extra headroom to accommodate a roll-cage installation, and the frameless doors as well as a special dash design make that a bit easier.

Headroom aside, the BRZ looks quite intimate inside, with a very small backseat that, with the seat moved much of the way back, allowed nearly no space for legroom.

The BRZ, which stands for Boxer Renaissance Zenith (or Boxer Rear Zenith, depending on which Subaru official you check with), will be produced on the same assembly line as the Impreza. And while the BRZ shares a few components, such as some of its front suspension, with the Impreza, its flat-four engine, mounted especially low in the BRZ, will help give it one of the lowest centers of gravity—and hopefully, some of the best handling dynamics—of any current small sports car.

On sale, Spring 2012

According to officials with the automaker, the Subaru BRZ will arrive to the U.S. next spring—about the same time as Japan—and the U.S. version will be offered. Expect formal pricing and features to be revealed in February—likely coinciding with the Chicago auto show.

In the mean time, browse through these images, fresh from the BRZ’s appearance at the Tokyo show.

--------

Excuse me, what? turbocharged? 34 grand? what? where? how? when? huh?

I need someone to explain this to me... and I did this :search: already

:bs:

subatoy 12-01-2011 03:32 PM

wow that article was written by some retard that doesn't know crap about this car.
2.0 turbo engine?! with 200 hp! :lol:
STI pricing?
what a bunch of idiots!
this is all wrong.

dominican 12-01-2011 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subatoy (Post 86800)
wow that article was written by some retard that doesn't know crap about this car.
2.0 turbo engine?! with 200 hp! :lol:
STI pricing?
what a bunch of idiots!
this is all wrong.

hence the :bs: at the end of my post, I don't think these guys know what they are talking to, I just want to see if anyone can actually confirm what these guys are saying.

WingsofWar 12-01-2011 03:37 PM

Bengt Halvorson, get your fucking facts straight before you attempt to write any more articles.

Hachiroku 12-01-2011 04:03 PM

Closing for worthlessness of their 'facts' :D