Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Lowered Car + Winter Driving =??? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84078)

aghuman 03-08-2015 09:46 AM

Lowered Car + Winter Driving =???

Any thoughts by members who have lowered their car and drive through winter, I really want to drop an inch or so but am concerned about ground clearance. Has anyone had any issues?

Bergen23 03-08-2015 10:20 AM

Just gotta watch for the ice chunks that fall from wheel wells.

aghuman 03-08-2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen23 (Post 2160534)
Just gotta watch for the ice chunks that fall from wheel wells.

Any particular reason I'd have to watch for that more with my car lowered?

Tcoat 03-08-2015 10:45 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Like Berg said except you that you have to watch for them at stock height anyway so lowered just means you have to watch for even smaller chunks. I did take a nasty hit on the side of my bumper from an ice chunk frozen to the ground and hidden by fresh snow. Would have had the same thing happen if at stock height though it just would have been an inch lower on the bumper.
I am lowered more than an inch and had zero driving issues all winter even with a couple of falls of 14 inches or so. This is with 2 trips a week from London to Windsor on the 401.
Just make sure you have good snows on it and play snow plow!
Worth it just to see the look and people face when you blast by the AWD with all seasons on it that is stuck in the deep snow!!!!

WhiteFRS69 03-08-2015 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aghuman (Post 2160538)

to be honest no, i have to dodge them as in and im at stock height...

if anything with a lower car, you have more of a chance to damage your front bumper

pushrod 03-08-2015 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aghuman (Post 2160520)
Any thoughts by members who have lowered their car and drive through winter, I really want to drop an inch or so but am concerned about ground clearance. Has anyone had any issues?

Is this a serious question?

Brndn704 03-08-2015 11:14 AM

lol. nahhhhh.

ntron1 03-08-2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aghuman (Post 2160520)

Nope...Bought a 4 x 4....

Bergen23 03-08-2015 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aghuman (Post 2160538)

Well, I'm lowered almost 2". Just freaks me out more than before I was lowered because I see my front bumper exploding in a blaze of glory whenever I go over a large looking ice chunk.

dentalprodigy 03-08-2015 02:21 PM

Post snow roads around me have left humongous pot holes around my area. I'm at stock height and despite my best efforts at dodging pot holes routinely hit a 1-2 of them every couple of days. It sounds and feels like you your bumper just came off. The situation is especially worse with might driving because many times you notice the crater when it's too late.

Personal opinion, I wouldn't lower the car esp if pot holes is a concern. It's low enough as it is.

Tcoat 03-08-2015 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergen23 (Post 2160710)
Well, I'm lowered almost 2". Just freaks me out more than before I was lowered because I see my front bumper exploding in a blaze of glory whenever I go over a large looking ice chunk.

And that noise as they bounce under the whole length of the car!

aghuman 03-08-2015 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 2160541)
Like Berg said except you that you have to watch for them at stock height anyway so lowered just means you have to watch for even smaller chunks. I did take a nasty hit on the side of my bumper from an ice chunk frozen to the ground and hidden by fresh snow. Would have had the same thing happen if at stock height though it just would have been an inch lower on the bumper.
I am lowered more than an inch and had zero driving issues all winter even with a couple of falls of 14 inches or so. This is with 2 trips a week from London to Windsor on the 401.
Just make sure you have good snows on it and play snow plow!
Worth it just to see the look and people face when you blast by the AWD with all seasons on it that is stuck in the deep snow!!!!

Thanks for the tips, I haven't had any issues in 2 seasons so far driving at stock ride height, I watch for ice an large objects anyways since the car is low even at stock height.

adamg 03-08-2015 08:18 PM

LOL this is my winter height
https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8669/...14277a14_c.jpg

Felix7007 03-11-2015 01:30 PM

I live in Maryland and my FR-S that is lowered (1.4" Eibach) and on snow tires (Blizzak WS70 215 R17) continues to sit in my driveway because I can't back out. I don't even see snow under my tire. I mean look, you can even see the rocks where the tire dug in so its obviously contacting my driveway. my driveway is flat by the way. I am absolutely baffled at how others are able to drive in the snow. I wasted a lot of money on tires and rims. Thinking about trading the snow tires in for R compound for HPDE if I can find someone to do it. As far as ride height, I can't help you because ride height is not the problem, its traction. I purchased my parents 2009 4Runner before winter and its an absolute beast. That 9" we just had? No problem.

It just occurred to me that I would have more traction pushing the car.... -_-

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...FRS%20Snow.jpg