Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   AUSTRALIA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Evo Mag Review (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5992)

BigM 05-10-2012 07:55 AM

Evo Mag Review

Anyone else read the review in Evo Magazine?

They pretty much confirmed the fears I always had in the back of my mind for this car - good aspects, but just too underpowered to really be fun, and the whole 'fun at a low limit' isn't there, it's so lacking in torque that you really have to thrash it and drive past it's limit to get to the fun handling, at which point it sort of falls over because the tyres are rubbish.

Pretty much made my mind up, going to get an STi Impreza in June when they will be running them out for the EOFY.

I guess that sounds stupid to say not having even test driven it, but the interesting thing about all the reviews I've read is they seem to start the same way - when you tootle about the place it's nice, feels low, nice steering, nice gearshift, so I think on the kind of crappy test drive most dealers give you it will probably seem great, but after a few weeks, you'll be left wanting...

Unfortunately I think that's the end of the BRZ road for me.

Gir 05-10-2012 08:05 AM

As I plan to drive mine on the public road, I don't see how it not being a hoon machine is a big issue.

BigM 05-10-2012 08:15 AM

Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to drift my way down the road, I just want something that's an enjoyable drive.

I've had some powerful and less powerful cars, the little ones that handle really well can be a lot of fun, if they have a semi decent amount of mid range torque. What they say about this car (that I was really worried about) is it doesn't, the power deliver is such that you have to ring it's neck and only get a reward in the last 1000rpm - I consider _that_ driving like a hoon, rather than a nice turbo engine you can give a little squeeze too every now and then and enjoy 3000-4500rpm...

Nafe 05-10-2012 08:23 AM

Re tyres - they can be replaced with better ones. Not difficult.
If you want more power, this car probably isn't for you. Especially if you aren't even going to bother test driving. You won't get an STI for much under $60k i wouldn't think. Not a new one.
But good luck and all the best :)

JFC 05-10-2012 08:26 AM

Perhaps (as did many) we hope this car would be better but I feel its potential as a ball tearer was/is never going to happen from factory, much like the AE86 the fun become dominant once modded. And with this fact + the cars low cost is testimate too this, sure the base maybe set but it's later the fun begins

I'm not up on boxer engines but Porsche do alright and some claimed the Subaru boxers have terrible torque in past efforts it was feared the same again, but 12.5-1 cr is screaming for cams to open its lungs. I feel this will change this drastically.

I'm with you sort of BigM, could of or should of done more with it, but I'll let my ass be the judge.

BigM 05-10-2012 08:27 AM

Yeah true, sounded like it just needed some tyres and a small amount of extra power, maybe an STi version would be spot on.

Anyway looking back I probably shouldn't have bothered posting, I was just really deflated as I guess I really, REALLY wanted one of these but was always kind of scared it might be over hyped... Actually hope I'm really wrong but anyway, guess I'll stick with what I know and get the STi.

Nardi330 05-10-2012 09:16 AM

Another factor (a major one for me) is that the EVO tests were done in an auto.

I hope EVO can test a manual soon. Maybe a GT86....??!!

Personally I just want a RWD "type r" (ie. light weight, ok power, great handling and fun) and 86/BRZ seems to be one.

st162celica 05-10-2012 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigM (Post 206676)
Yeah true, sounded like it just needed some tyres and a small amount of extra power, maybe an STi version would be spot on.

Anyway looking back I probably shouldn't have bothered posting, I was just really deflated as I guess I really, REALLY wanted one of these but was always kind of scared it might be over hyped... Actually hope I'm really wrong but anyway, guess I'll stick with what I know and get the STi.

Just test drive one dude. If you can wait. Won't hurt.

Of course it's going to be overhyped. It's pretty unique for what it is. Wonder how long it will take for another manufacturer to bring out something similar ?

I've lost my license a few times over the years, and am currently on a good behavior license til mid dec so I rather the 86 be a bit slower :thumbsup:

A Mate I talk in the u.s for work just bought a sti. Around 35k new . It makes you just want to cry. I sent him the rrp link for the sti in aust and he nearly dropped dead. Lol

st162celica 05-10-2012 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nardi330 (Post 206715)
Another factor (a major one for me) is that the EVO tests were done in an auto.

I hope EVO can test a manual soon. Maybe a GT86....??!!

Personally I just want a RWD "type r" and 86/BRZ seems to be one.

Ahhhh. Why would they let evo test a AT. :bonk:

Nardi330 05-10-2012 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st162celica (Post 206719)

No idea. But that's definitely a mistake to do that.

Varvs 05-10-2012 09:34 AM

doesnt evo magazine constantly drive supercars with 400HP+?

its the one bad review of the car thats out, and its not even that bad.

pr0j 05-10-2012 09:45 AM

one less speed demon in an 86 means one less excuse for insurance companies to add a 'hoon levvy' to their policies. no complaints here.

spr1nter 05-10-2012 05:06 PM

Two very different cars here (and yes I'm considering an rs 250/265 when I go to buy either an 86/BRZ or scirocco) so I'm not to fussed on the lap time differences however the comments from 4 min on are not inspiring :(

But will wait and see once I have test driven myself!

http://youtu.be/aNUL9eQO5Q0

(couldn't get the embeded media to work so a link will have to suffice :p )

davey90 05-10-2012 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st162celica (Post 206719)

what's wrong with AT? I thought for the 86 MT and AT are the same, only difference is that AT gives you an option if you want to control the shifts or let the car shift itself. :iono: