Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Do the twins come across as cheap to the uninformed or are they surprised it is? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129289)

Sasquachulator 07-30-2018 11:08 AM

Do the twins come across as cheap to the uninformed or are they surprised it is?

Anyone ever have people come to their car and is surprised that it isn't more expensive?
Enthusiasts and car people will obviously be able to differentiate.

Just curious if anyone happens to know how this car is viewed by the general public that you've come across.

HachiRokuX 07-30-2018 11:16 AM

I drive the 2017 version. Multiple people have asked me if the car cost anywhere from 35k-80k. One person thought it was a new expensive Supra. It thoroughly looks like a mid 20k car to me though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tcoat 07-30-2018 11:24 AM

Scion was very rare in my area and only had about a 3 year run before it was canned so the badge means nothing to most people. In fact the reverse to what you would expect is the common response I get.

"Hmmmm Skeeon eh. Bet that cost you a pile".

The colour also seems to make many think it is more exotic than it is.

I have had a very hard time convincing some people that it didn't cost $75K+

mrderp 07-30-2018 11:25 AM

I had a ambulance chase me to ask me what the car was and how expensive it was.
It does attract a bit of attention from non car people, especially the younger crowd who didn't grow up with the cheap jdm sport cars of the 90's.

Takumi788 07-30-2018 11:26 AM

When I purchased my 2013 my boss joked "looks like I am paying you too much if you can afford a brand new sports car." I told him that is cost less than half of what he paid for his chevy 2500.

All car enthusiast know its cheap tho.

And unlike Tcoat said, I found the second you say "its a Scion", they assume its a FWD POS

mrderp 07-30-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3115879)
Scion was very rare in my area

You might be onto something. Ever since I got the 86 people have been way less inquisitive!

Time to order up Scion badges hahaha

JoeC 07-30-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3115879)
Scion was very rare in my area and only had about a 3 year run before it was canned so the badge means nothing to most people. In fact the reverse to what you would expect is the common response I get.

"Hmmmm Skeeon eh. Bet that cost you a pile".

The colour also seems to make many think it is more exotic than it is.

I have had a very hard time convincing some people that it didn't cost $75K+

anyone who's seen the interior would know it's a cheap car.
http://drivencarreviews.com/wp-conte...s-2013_139.jpg

Spuds 07-30-2018 11:35 AM

I used to get asked what kind of car it was at least once a week in 2013-14 ish. Being red, I guess they figure it's a Ferrari or something and get a confused look when I answer.

It certainly looks faster (and therefore more expensive) than it actually is to the uninitiated. If you don't know what it is at this point, then chances are you aren't paying attention to the details that would otherwise give insight to the cost.

Joon525 07-30-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeC (Post 3115884)
(snipping the picture because quoting pics is annoying)

The non-limited interior to me looks terrible (unless it's for a race car).

In general the twins look more expensive than they are.
I've repeatedly had people SO surprised when I tell them it was less than 30K USD.

Tcoat 07-30-2018 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrderp (Post 3115883)
You might be onto something. Ever since I got the 86 people have been way less inquisitive!

Time to order up Scion badges hahaha

A few weeks after I bought the car I took it to a car show in a small town near my cottage. There were 350 cars there ranging from model Ts to brand new Mustangs.
A group of guys came over and started to look at my car. The one dude got all excited and started telling his buddies how Scion is German for Scorpion and that my car was a new Porsche model that had just came out. This is with the hood open showing Subaru/Toyota written on everything and the show window card explaining make, model and year in plain view. His buddies must have been used to his shit though since they just smiled and nodded. I didn't correct him since he was so excited I didn't want to bring him down.

I know it doesn't work the same everyplace but around home the Scion badge really messes with people and I have a canned speech I use to explain what it is.

Tcoat 07-30-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

http://drivencarreviews.com/wp-conte...s-2013_139.jpg

Hey! What is cheap about a clock left over from 1988 Dollar Store stock?

HachiRokuX 07-30-2018 11:44 AM

Quote:

anyone who's seen the interior would know it's a cheap.

Or the wheels tbh.

Cheeky 07-30-2018 11:47 AM

I think the 10 series color helps enhance the "exotic" feel of it, so a lot of people are surprised when I say I bought it used and cost me less than 20k.

Tcoat 07-30-2018 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HachiRokuX (Post 3115892)
Or the wheels tbh.

Nah. The wheels are a car guy snob thing that most people would never even notice. In fact I have had many, many compliments on the stock wheels.