Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIY (Do-It-Yourself) Guides (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   Cusco Rear Strut Bar (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8877)

PekoPeko 06-16-2012 02:46 AM

Cusco Rear Strut Bar

5 Attachment(s)
I recently received my package from Vivid Racing containing Cusco front and rear strut bars and oil catch can. Some awesome parts for an amazing price, I just couldn't not buy them. I'm leaving the oil catch can off for now, and the front bar is a breeze to put on, but the rear took a bit of finesse so I figured I'd do a write up with pictures. I'm not 100% sure on proper terminology, but I figured I'd give it my best shot instead of using "doo-hickey" and "thing-a-ma-bob" so I apologize in advance

After pulling out the capet cover, you'll need to also remove the styrofoam pieces that hold the basic car tools on both sides of the spare wheel. They're each held in place by a single plastic clip (circled in yellow). I removed them by pulling the entire styrofoam piece straight upwards. Might have been my luck, but nothing broke, so I continued onwards. Simply bolt in the strut bar by lifting up the flaps that cover the bolts (circled in red).

Attachment 8602

The tool holders won't fit back into place without a little cutting. You can probably get away with cutting a smaller portion out from the bottom, but I cut it so that I could take the bar off and back on without having to take the styrofoam pieces out again. Remember to pop the clips back in so they don't fly around when you're driving around.

Attachment 8603
Attachment 8604

The carpet cover also needs a trim to get it back in place. The directions given calls for cutting out pretty big chunks out, but I found you only had to cut along the yellow lines. It does require a bit of shuffling around to get it back in, but looks better than how the directions would have you cut it imo.

Attachment 8605

Hope this will help others. I'm guessing this'll be the same way to install any rear strut that comes out.

Attachment 8606

Metabrz 06-16-2012 03:45 AM

Thanks! I plan on getting the same parts so this is great.

DarrenDriven 06-17-2012 03:06 AM

Added this to the DIY Directory:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7365

spiller 06-17-2012 04:37 AM

any placebo, i mean, positive effects?

Opposed 06-17-2012 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiller (Post 262483)

Also in for this...

PekoPeko 06-17-2012 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiller (Post 262483)

Ha ha ha... yes and no. I now have a place to loop my bag straps so they don't magically pull the emergency release trunk handle. Story here.

As for performance, not really. It's a double wishbone rear so any stiffening should be minimal. Plus I'm still breaking the car in so I'm not pushing it anywhere near any changes should be felt. It was payday, I had some extra money, and it was a great deal. Besides, it's not like I have anyone special to spend my money on.... *sniff* LONELY DRIVERS UNITE!!!! I'm depressed now... think I'll go for a drive...

http://www.google.com/url?source=img...-6ZkZjgEbIyvbw... with my BRZ :wub:

On a serious note: I'll be running stock in autocross for a few months (hence why I want to take it off and on without fiddling with the styrofoam pieces). After that, I figure I'll be able to do a review on if they do anything, unless someone already does so by then. CHEERS! :happy0180:

driftartist 06-18-2012 03:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PekoPeko (Post 262961)
LONELY DRIVERS UNITE!!!!

itsuki status! lol sorry initial d fanboy here. one question though. i mean it isnt like we are going to be needing to access the toold or the spare tire every day but i was just thinking, wont it be a little harder than usual to access underneath with the bar in place? or when you cut the carpet, will it be easier with how you cut it?

driftartist 06-18-2012 03:18 AM

and also what torque did you use for those bolts just curious??

PekoPeko 06-18-2012 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftartist (Post 263803)
itsuki status! lol sorry initial d fanboy here. one question though. i mean it isnt like we are going to be needing to access the toold or the spare tire every day but i was just thinking, wont it be a little harder than usual to access underneath with the bar in place? or when you cut the carpet, will it be easier with how you cut it?

There isn't much difference between the way I cut the cover and the way they want you to cut it. If you cut it their way, it'll be a little easier to take the carpet in and out, but you'll be able to see a bit of the spare wheel well and some of the styrofoam. Either way, once the carpet it out, you have full access to all the tools and you can take the spare out without having to touch the bar. I just ran out and tested this :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by driftartist (Post 263805)
and also what torque did you use for those bolts just curious??

30ft/lbs. Hopefully the FSM comes out soon so I can retorque if necessary.

QIK86 06-20-2012 04:18 AM

got front and rear bars about a month ago lol just waiting for car 10 more days!!. cheers for the post was looking forward to seeing who else purchased cusco parts. did you get the break cylinder stopper (BCS) with the front bar? I did.

Spartan65 08-13-2012 12:49 AM

did you install this while the car was lifted to pre load the chassis?

TheSt|G 10-09-2012 04:32 PM

Hinged aspect certainly doesn't help the placebo, I mean performance.

JPxM0Dz 10-09-2012 04:44 PM

Looks great! Unlike you, I did not have to trim the tool trays at all, just the carpet. I managed to squeeze the tool holders back into place without any issues :thumbsup:

Juanito08 12-30-2012 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPxM0Dz (Post 486277)
Looks great! Unlike you, I did not have to trim the tool trays at all, just the carpet. I managed to squeeze the tool holders back into place without any issues :thumbsup:

I know this thread is old, but I had a quick question. Does the strut bar sit flush to the spare cover? Or is there a small "gap"? Is so about how big of a gap?