Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   How to get faster (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137651)

Apelsin 11-05-2019 07:04 AM

How to get faster

So, i got an 86 this year and did a bunch of track days. I enjoyed it and improved a lot with practice but eventually hit a plateau. The car is currently 100% stock (except race pads and 200 tw tires). I am wondering if it is time to get some pro coaching? Or shoukd i try to modify the car first? In your experience, how much difference in lap times should i expect from tire and suspension mods (not interested in power mods)
1. 215 vs 225 vs 245 tire
2. how about 200 tw vs r compound
3. Stock suspension vs $1,500 coilovers vs $3,000 coilovers
Also, how effective is pro coaching and who would you recommend on east coast.

i8ur911 11-05-2019 07:12 AM

How fast are you compared to your local hot shoe Miatas guys?......and other similar power to weight ratio vehicles?

IMO there is no reason to starting spending a bunch on upgrades until you are as fast as (or close) others who are driving similar cars.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

i8ur911 11-05-2019 07:29 AM

Another good gauge is if you have an 86Cup Series near you, you can see those lap times compared to yours.

If you're going to do any upgrades, my recommendation would be tires and then more seat time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

BigTuna 11-05-2019 07:47 AM

There is NEVER a bad time to get a professional, or even more experienced driver, to coach you.

SCCA has the Track Night in America program and they go to Charlotte for a track day every year. I know that's a great place to get coaching. I have a cousin who participated last year and loved it. I also have a buddy who instructs with them.

Most other organizations have instructors that may or may not be included in the track day price, you just have to ask!

TunaNoCrust 11-05-2019 08:09 AM

coaching > than absolutely ANY vehicle modifications!

Where are you located? There are lots of great clubs in New England that have exceptional coaches. COMSCCC.ORG would be my number 1, and then probably SCDA.

You want an instructor in the car with you. It will be a night and day difference.

Mr.ac 11-05-2019 09:20 AM

The best money spent is coaching.
Till you have someone next to you to telling your fualts you never knew you where doing, that pays for itself right there.

NoHaveMSG 11-05-2019 09:37 AM

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNAF5pAQENI[/ame]

Takumi788 11-05-2019 10:29 AM

I raced dirt cars very successfully for 10 years since I was 14 years old. Sometimes winning multiple track championships at different tracks in the same year. I thought I was a great driver.

When I started getting a little busier with work and family life I gave it up and started doing NASA track days with my FRS. I got slapped in the face with so much reality. My instructor (required with NASA for HPDE 1) was in his late 60s. He taught me so much in three days and I quickly realized I knew nothing about performance driving.

I have now been tracking for 6 years and am an instructor/coach myself. I still take other instructors out on track with me as much as I can for feedback. Never stop learning.

i8ur911 11-05-2019 10:37 AM

On top of "coaching", I'd recommend getting something like an AiM Solo and reviewing your data. Also, ask other drivers that your friends with to overlay their data with yours. This can be very eye opening (data in general).

Takumi788 11-05-2019 10:38 AM

Other info for OP.

If you replace your tires. Just get a good 200 tw tire. R-comps require a lot of attention. Starting with a 200 tw tire in oem size on your oem tire is a good foot in the door and guarantees no rubbing issues.

If you must replace your suspension buy the best you can afford. RCE Tarmac II is a great option as well as the new 949 racing Xidas.

How many track days have you been to? If you want send me a video of you driving. I would be happy to critique what I can.

Takumi788 11-05-2019 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i8ur911 (Post 3273048)
On top of "coaching", I'd recommend getting something like an AiM Solo and reviewing your data. Also, ask other drivers that your friends with to overlay their data with yours. This can be very eye opening (data in general).

Good one! Have the coach show you how to read data properly.

Also, there is a bunch of literature out there. Speed Secrets Ultimate by Ross Bently is my favorite. I read is every off-season.

Icecreamtruk 11-05-2019 10:42 AM

Coaching is good, not all coaches are good coaches, not all of them are focused on making you faster, some only know how to make you safer.

Mods are great as well, I believe improving the car along with the driver is a more effective way than to try and squeeze every ounce of performance of an otherwise stock car before changing anything.

TommyW 11-05-2019 10:59 AM

Driver mod> everything else (Brake fluid aside)

steverife 11-05-2019 11:44 AM

I'm going to go a bit against the grain and encourage anyone that wants to mod to do so.

Mods are fun and that is why we do this stuff. And learning to set up and adjust a car is a big part of being as fast as you can be.

Just be realistic about what you want to ultimately accomplish and made sure that you are buying good parts that will help you achieve that goal.