Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Helmets (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=141568)

dpfarr 07-22-2020 01:26 PM

Helmets

In the pandemic age, I’m not interested in borrowing a helmet. Plus I’m a sweaty dude and do not wish that fate upon the next user.

What’s a decent helmet for a few sessions a year? I don’t think I’ll ever be serious enough to have a HANS type.

I realize the previous snell is at its half life now and a new cert is due in a few months. In a cost benefit, it seems like the 2015sa is worth the lower cost for using it for the handful of years it has left vs the 2020sa higher cost?

Are pretty much most <$300 helmets equivalent? Online vendors to support?

BigTuna 07-22-2020 01:50 PM

Racequip is a decent brand. It's what we used to get for the Formula SAE team since they are Snell rated and on the cheaper side.

A good friend also uses a Zamp helpmet. Also Snell rated and pretty cheap.

Breadman 07-22-2020 01:51 PM

helmets are only suposed to be used for 5? years max so if you get a 15 or a 20 doesnt really matter. i got a 2015 racequip helmet for like 180$ and its good enough(tm). also got a full face one because in the event i actually need the helmet i dont feel like picking my teeth off the ground

Yoshoobaroo 07-22-2020 02:11 PM

I just got this 320$ G-force for 245$ shipped:

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/G-For...et,334629.html

Feels good for a budget helmet, Snell2015. Shipping was quick and they added an extra %15 off at checkout.

NoHaveMSG 07-22-2020 02:21 PM

I just picked up the OMP OS-70 and I really like it for the price. Super comfy.

M0nk3y 07-22-2020 04:08 PM

I'm curious why you think HANS isn't needed for your application.

AutoX, sure yes. Track? IMO everyone at this point should be running a HANS. I know, it totally seems overkill...but it's an investment I hope I never have to use.

It's really tough for me to justify a price point when something is protecting my head, that's just me. I ended up getting an Arai GP6S after trying one on years ago and it felt like my HJC AR10ii was a brick weight ontop of my head. Extra weight just means more force applied if an accident happens.

Just IMO/YMMV.

ls1ac 07-22-2020 05:17 PM

If you are doing only a few driving events then something like Zamp is good. It does meet the requirements and is accepted by most all groups. Get the newest one available as the old is about to time out and you would have to buy again shortly.
If you get serious and start racing then it is time to upgrade.

Think of it this way, if a full harness is required, then Hans and a good helmet will also be in order. If it is driving your street car with airbags then a non tethered helmet is ok.

Yoshoobaroo 07-22-2020 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0nk3y (Post 3351256)

AutoX, sure yes. Track? IMO everyone at this point should be running a HANS. I know, it totally seems overkill...but it's an investment I hope I never have to use.

So everyone tracking a mildly modified street car with functional airbags and head rests needs to run a 4pt harness? Come on.

racingfool 07-22-2020 05:58 PM

If for autocross, $99 is tempting. On a track you might spend a bit more.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/G-For...et,376356.html

alphasaur 07-22-2020 06:00 PM

I just run a cheap HJC that is snell rated that I got for like $120. I like it, it's comfortable and way nicer than the loaners.

I only do autocross though.

Mr.ac 07-22-2020 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M0nk3y (Post 3351256)

It's really tough for me to justify a price point when something is protecting my head, that's just me. I ended up getting an Arai GP6S after trying one on years ago and it felt like my HJC AR10ii was a brick weight ontop of my head. Extra weight just means more force applied if an accident happens.

Just IMO/YMMV.

Lol LOLOLOLOLOL
Yeah, you can't just only use a hans system by itself. You need every thing that goes with it. All for what? Running your parade lap just for photo ops?

I'll stick to my new cheap-o snell approved G-force full face helmet

rice_classic 07-22-2020 07:44 PM

I currently use a Roux helmet because of the built in cooling lines and, radio and ear muffs. My previous helmet was a HJC si-12 and I love it as well.

BlueWhelan 07-22-2020 10:37 PM

I use an HJC AR-10 iii. Its got removable ear cups for radio pieces, and built-in HANS ready (as I believe the current regulations for SNELL require). They are around $330.00 It's comfy-snug, but does have some weight to it. If you want a really light helmet, the cost can go up dramatically depending on how light you go.

dpfarr 07-22-2020 10:44 PM

It’s weird to admit I put a value on my cognitive functions. Apparently it is worth less than fitting my daily to be complimentary to using hans. There it is.

Thanks for the links gents. I get that weight will be subjective to individuals but anyone got a base mass that they consider the lower end of heavy?