Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Downshifting AT (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22021)

Estey 11-12-2012 12:35 AM

Downshifting AT

So I just purchased an AT FRS last friday and i really enjoy the car. and with the paddle shifters ive started to downshift as well as use the brakes when i come to stops and i was wondering if that would put wear and tear on the transmission over time.

finch1750 11-12-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estey (Post 552021)
So I just purchased an AT FRS last friday and i really enjoy the car. and with the paddle shifters ive started to downshift as well as use the brakes when i come to stops and i was wondering if that would put wear and tear on the transmission over time.

If you don't downshift, it will for you. So no ( at least not more than stock). It rev matches and that is the most important thing.

Estey 11-12-2012 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finch1750 (Post 552031)
If you don't downshift, it will for you. So no ( at least not more than stock). It rev matches and that is the most important thing.

well of course it downshifts for you but i meant more than stock. as in using the engine to slow the car down as well as the brakes.

7thgear 11-12-2012 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estey (Post 552829)
well of course it downshifts for you but i meant more than stock. as in using the engine to slow the car down as well as the brakes.

i'm curious why you think you need to do any of this

just use the brakes man, you're driving an automatic

Leonardo 11-12-2012 02:42 PM

I have an AT also. I down shift in manual mode sometimes. It's fun, it rev matches, and is unlike any other auto I have driven. I also drove my car very gently for the break in period.

Edit: If you feel that you are being harder on your car, you probably are.

mhigham 11-12-2012 03:02 PM

It will be fine, especially with rev matching. Why else have the paddles? When you need engine braking, use it. :party0030:

Estey 11-12-2012 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leonardo (Post 552901)
I have an AT also. I down shift in manual mode sometimes. It's fun, it rev matches, and is unlike any other auto I have driven. I also drove my car very gently for the break in period.

Edit: If you feel that you are being harder on your car, you probably are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhigham (Post 552941)
It will be fine, especially with rev matching. Why else have the paddles? When you need engine braking, use it. :party0030:

awesome, thanks for the help :thumbup:

DaJo 11-12-2012 04:46 PM

I downshift mines all the time even in "D"... There is absolutely no harm in doing so!

Just don't downshift all the way to 1st gear when you're traveling over 10-15 KM/H. I usually manually downshift to 2nd and that's as far as I will go.
The car will downshift to 1st automatically as you slow down while applying the brakes... (Safer that way for the transmission) :thumbsup:

:happy0180:

neutron256 11-12-2012 05:02 PM

Higher RPMs will be more wear and tear on the whole drive train. The ECU will basically shifts down when RPMs fall to a point near where the engine would stall if nothing was done. If you're very aggressively down shifting all the time and causing the RPMs to spike to say 6000 then long term this is going to be more wear and tear on the whole drivetrain.

If your not going crazy with it then there should be little to no effect.

I personally love the feel and sound of a quick double tap of the paddle as I enter a turn. The RPMs jump giving me lots of torque to accelerate out of the turn.

Danfrscion 11-13-2012 03:00 PM

Do you know if there is a quick way to go into neutral? I know that you can put the AT directly to neutral, but was wondering if there is a quick way to hold it there. When I am at a stop, on level ground, my manual tranny cars I have just put in neutral.

boredom.is.me 11-13-2012 06:02 PM

Why would you need to put it in neutral? The reason for neutral at a light is to allow the driver to not have to hold his/her foot on the clutch. An AT doesn't have a clutch.

Danfrscion 11-13-2012 09:17 PM

I know that an AT does not have a clutch. I was wondering if any knew of a quicker way.

srtblake 11-13-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danfrscion (Post 555619)
I know that an AT does not have a clutch. I was wondering if any knew of a quicker way.

actually they have several clutches (clutch packs to be exact)

the paddle shifters actually protect against from a lot of dousche-bag aka reckless shifting duplication from owners.

just stick to driving how it was designed mang. :happy0180:

gwascopter 11-13-2012 10:26 PM

step the f up and get a MT then come back.