Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Chirping in Cabin (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134120)

DaBoBo21 04-15-2019 08:43 PM

Chirping in Cabin

Hey guys, just wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this. Getting a chirping in the cabin when the temperature is >60 degrees. Initially I thought it was the blower motor, but it happens even when the HVAC isn’t being used. I’m not sure if it’s fuel pump related because I don’t notice it outside of the cabin. When the chirping is persistent I can hear what seems like a pump coming to a stop when I turn off the car too. On days warmer than 60 degrees I don’t normally hear this. I have an appointment at my dealership next Thursday to see if they can figure it out. Any ideas?

humfrz 04-15-2019 09:17 PM

hmmmm.

Is the sound tube still hooked up and open?

Does it make the sound regardless of whether or not the engine is running?

Where in the cabin does it sound like the sound is coming from?

Any power mods on your car?

humfrz

DaBoBo21 04-15-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3208082)
hmmmm.

Is the sound tube still hooked up and open?

Does it make the sound regardless of whether or not the engine is running?

Where in the cabin does it sound like the sound is coming from?

Any power mods on your car?

humfrz

Hey sir,

I have the sound tube off and blocked the hole in the firewall with the A/V cap. It was doing it before I did that though. It only happens when the car is on, and just a cat-back.

Tcoat 04-15-2019 09:25 PM

The older ones had an issue with a cooling fan in the head unit. Not sure if that is your issue but worth checking.

HKz 04-15-2019 09:26 PM

hmm my bet is you're just hearing the normal DI crickets...sometimes they chirp pretty loudly in the cabin especially when warm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tcoat (Post 3208088)
The older ones had an issue with a cooling fan in the head unit. Not sure if that is your issue but worth checking.

my '13 had that noise but I never heard anything similar from my current '16. Hard to believe Subaru didn't incorporate the change on their end..

humfrz 04-15-2019 09:33 PM

OK, I'll guess - it might be the car doing a fuel evaporation leakage check (the purge pump running) - :iono:

humfrz

Tcoat 04-15-2019 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HKz (Post 3208089)
hmm my bet is you're just hearing the normal DI crickets...sometimes they chirp pretty loudly in the cabin especially when warm

my '13 had that noise but I never heard anything similar from my current '16. Hard to believe Subaru didn't incorporate the change on their end..

Well it is a totally different HU but who knows maybe the issue survived. Worth checking.

Tcoat 04-15-2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3208092)
OK, I'll guess - it might be the car doing a fuel evaporation leakage check (the purge pump running) - :iono:

humfrz

That happens after the car has been shut down for 2 hours. I know some guys love their new car but if they are just sitting there after two hours they should seek counseling.

DaBoBo21 04-15-2019 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3208092)

humfrz

This pretty much happens every time I let it sit over night when the temperature is low and I start it up the next morning. Like I said, when it’s warm it doesn’t do this.

Could it be air in a line maybe?

humfrz 04-15-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoBo21 (Post 3208107)
This pretty much happens every time I let it sit over night when the temperature is low and I start it up the next morning. Like I said, when it’s warm it doesn’t do this.

Could it be air in a line maybe?

In the fuel line? - I doubt it.

I'll guess again, maybe it's the fuel pump in the tank?

:iono:

humfrz

DaBoBo21 04-15-2019 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3208111)
In the fuel line? - I doubt it.

I'll guess again, maybe it's the fuel pump in the tank?

:iono:

humfrz

Maybe, I’ll have to focus my attention toward the backseat next time it happens. It does sound like a chirpy pump coming to a stop when I turn the car off.

humfrz 04-15-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaBoBo21 (Post 3208116)
Maybe, I’ll have to focus my attention toward the backseat next time it happens. It does sound like a chirpy pump coming to a stop when I turn the car off.

Also, you might listen real close when you turn on the ignition, not starting the car, the pump should be priming itself.

humfrz

DaBoBo21 06-20-2019 10:28 PM

Hey guys, wanted to bump this. Was looking through the forum and came across a couple people who have mentioned this, but to be more specific, it sounds more like an erratic/constant bubbling noise from behind the dash, no crickets or anything outside of the car like the HPFP noise (have had that before with two twins, but not this one, this is different).

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...light=bubbling

- It now happens pretty much daily and you can only hear at idle w/ and w/o the HVAC system on. Seems to go away some times when the car is up to full temp, but not all the time.

- Still hear something like a circulation pump shutting off when turning the car off.

- Fuel pump primes just fine before starting the car, no issues there.

It's been difficult to get a video because I can't get anything to pick up the noise over the catback.. Car still operates fine, just want to know what the hell the noise is coming from for peace of mind because it can be pretty annoying to hear every day.. If anyone has experienced this please let me know.. Dealership just shrugs me off about it..

radroach 06-21-2019 12:09 AM

@DaBoBo21 check that the front defroster isn't on? That's where I had mystery chirps when I didn't realize it cycled the A/C on and off even with the blower motor off.