Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Cruising regularly at 4000 rpm (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=124752)

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 01-18-2018 12:28 AM

Cruising regularly at 4000 rpm

Is it harsh on the engine? My fiance's Mini is at 1800 rpm, plowing along, meanwhile mine is roaring at 4K rpm at the same speed. Is it safe for prolonged periods? Should I limit my engine speed and slow down? Really dislike this part about the MY17 final drive. Sometimes it really feels like a car better left to the track, not too perfect for daily driving. At green lights, I get left so far behind by normal econoboxes with their CVTs. To keep up I have to shift fast and rev and make all kinds of racket, meanwhile they just whoosh away. Anyway I'm ranting, back to my original question... so is it safe?

swarb 01-18-2018 12:36 AM

No it isn't safe. Sell the car before it blows up. Top safe speed is 86mph.

It's safe; As long as the oil is warmed up and you are driving within the rpm limits; it was designed to do.

Brink 01-18-2018 12:48 AM

How is it you're cruising at 4k? I mean my BRZ is AT so I guess gearing is different but cruising is around probably 2k or less, even under 1500, depending on the speed. I do feel like I have to push it a bit harder than I should have to getting off the line to keep up with other traffic, and sometimes with my Corsa exhaust roaring away I feel like somewhat of a **** for doing so, but not really. But still I'm probably looking at a maximum of 4k when accelerating for a freeway merge, maybe 4500 if I'm really pushing it, and not even breaking 3k off of the freeway. Of course I might have a little fun now and then and go above those numbers, but cruising at 4k just doesn't happen.

StraightOuttaCanadaEh 01-18-2018 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brink (Post 3029508)
How is it you're cruising at 4k? I mean my BRZ is AT so I guess gearing is different but cruising is around probably 2k or less, even under 1500, depending on the speed. I do feel like I have to push it a bit harder than I should have to getting off the line to keep up with other traffic, and sometimes with my Corsa exhaust roaring away I feel like somewhat of a **** for doing so, but not really. But still I'm probably looking at a maximum of 4k when accelerating for a freeway merge, maybe 4500 if I'm really pushing it, and not even breaking 3k off of the freeway. Of course I might have a little fun now and then and go above those numbers, but cruising at 4k just doesn't happen.

I guess it's a feature of the manual tranny. At some umm "highway speeds" here in toronto, I am sitting at 4000 rpm dead on. I have a corsa too, so you understand the noise off the line lol. I have a catless header planned too, that's gonna help out a lot. I love the noise, I just wish it didn't sound like it was working so hard just to keep up with a mildly accelerating nissan micra lol

Brink 01-18-2018 12:56 AM

Must just be a trade-off for that new intake manifold and internals bringing it up to 205 HP that the 200 HP AT didn't get.

Adam_L 01-18-2018 01:26 AM

did you disengage the E brake ?

humfrz 01-18-2018 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh (Post 3029503)
Is it harsh on the engine? My fiance's Mini is at 1800 rpm, plowing along, meanwhile mine is roaring at 4K rpm at the same speed. Is it safe for prolonged periods? Should I limit my engine speed and slow down? Really dislike this part about the MY17 final drive. Sometimes it really feels like a car better left to the track, not too perfect for daily driving. At green lights, I get left so far behind by normal econoboxes with their CVTs. To keep up I have to shift fast and rev and make all kinds of racket, meanwhile they just whoosh away. Anyway I'm ranting, back to my original question... so is it safe?

Question, for just how of a prolonged period of time driving in North America, are you going to go, at 90 MPH before you get pulled over ....??

OR, are you sure you are driving in 6th gear .....??

You could leave that over revving POS at home and ride with you GF .....:iono:

AND ...... so, why are you racing at green lights ......??

As far as your safety, NO ..... 90 MPH is too fast for highway driving!

As far as whether or not it's "safe" for your car's engine, I reckon it is, as long as it has oil and isn't overheating.

Yep, I think you're ready for a Buick ...... :thumbsup:

humfrz

Mr.ac 01-18-2018 01:37 AM

Quote:

Holy shit dude!! Noooo!!
Your car is totaled! Sell it asap!!
I recommend the following: a civic, 240, v6 mustangs, volt or Prius. All in autos, with body kits and vinyl anime wraps.

Clipdat 01-18-2018 01:39 AM

Did you not get the memo that the most fun in this car happens between 4-7k RPM?

Why would you be only getting to 4.5k rpm when you're "really pushing it"? News flash, you aren't really pushing it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brink (Post 3029508)

spike021 01-18-2018 01:44 AM

Quote:

Cruising regularly at 4000 rpm

Yeah.. When I'm on the freeway a lot of the time I sit in 5th gear and cruise at around 4000rpm.

I get greater acceleration than in 6th, which is especially helpful if there's a little bit of traffic making me need to vary my speed. Also, just being able to sit there with the ability to accelerate quicker is way more fun, even during boring highway driving. Sitting in 6th at like 2500-3500rpm is fairly normal in boring long highway drives.

But if you really want to enjoy the car you should most definitely be going at least to 4000rpm IMO.

humfrz 01-18-2018 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 3029523)
Holy shit dude!! Noooo!!
Your car is totaled! Sell it asap!!
I recommend the following: a civic, 240, v6 mustangs, volt or Prius. All in autos, with body kits and vinyl anime wraps.

I see you have broadened your line of recommended alternative vehicles .... :thumbsup:

humfrz

Mr.ac 01-18-2018 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3029530)
I see you have broadened your line of recommended alternative vehicles .... :thumbsup:

humfrz

Yeah I couldn't push the civic that much. Was losing sales.

strat61caster 01-18-2018 01:58 AM

Here's a novel idea; reduce your speed.

Save a couple bucks on gas, put a lighter load on your engine, you'll only arrive at your destination a few minutes later than you would if you were speeding. It's not the end of the world to hang out in the slow lane doing just the speed limit once in awhile. Enjoy some music or a podcast.

humfrz 01-18-2018 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 3029531)
Yeah I couldn't push the civic that much. Was losing sales.

Yep, save a couple of civics (with real loud exhausts) for them Bay Area boys posting up above ...... for when they spin the rod bearings out of their machines .......;)

humfrz