Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Camber Question (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31578)

subaruatheart 03-20-2013 07:46 PM

Camber Question

I'm planning on lowering my car by around 1.7-1.9 inches. Can I get away without getting a camber kit?

enjoyminutemaid 03-20-2013 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subaruatheart (Post 806948)
I'm planning on lowering my car by around 1.7-1.9 inches. Can I get away without getting a camber kit?

Can you? Yes!
Should you? No!

Read the suspension stickies...

subaruatheart 03-20-2013 10:19 PM

Just ordered front camber bolts, and SPC rear control arms. I'll be dropping the car on Megan Street Coilovers. Before anyone gets on me about Megan, I'm not going to be doing any drifting/autoX or anything extreme.

omegared19 03-24-2013 01:53 AM

You'll wear away at your tires and bushings really fast if you don't.

Get....camber plates

Tansey86 03-24-2013 01:57 AM

Is there a way so you can lower the car, say 1.5 inches and remove the negative camber? To maybe -1 degree or less.

that_guy 03-24-2013 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omegared19 (Post 814619)
You'll wear away at your tires and bushings really fast if you don't.

Get....camber plates

Camber doesn't wear your tires out faster, toe does. Camber will cause uneven wear, but if your toe is set to 0 degrees, it wont be accelerated any faster than if the car were stock.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tansey86 (Post 814622)
Is there a way so you can lower the car, say 1.5 inches and remove the negative camber? To maybe -1 degree or less.

A little camber never hurts. That said, you can correct a lot of the camber gained from lowering through installation of camber bolts in the front (also known as crash bolts) and lower control arms in the rear.

For a drop on simple lowering springs, like the RCE Yellows, Eibach Prokit, H&R Sports, etc, a camber kit is probably not needed. Especially if you don't know what your adjusting the values to.

Don't let the only reason you adjust the negative camber out be because you think it's bad to have camber or that you think it wears out your tires. Cause both are wrong.

jshadeck 03-24-2013 10:38 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Too much camber can cause tremendous loss of traction, both for acceleration and braking, to the less than average driver, these cars are proving "dangerous" w the nannies turned off... Imagine that same situation, but with 1/3 less of each tread touching the pavement.

I agree camber doesnt cause wear nessecarily, alot of people associate the two because when cambered, the lack of traction often wears the tires down faster.

Attachment 31714
My is300 had a little bit of camber and no traction control, i drove on very shot tires alot too

This is how my tire looked when i pulled over to the side of the road from 90mph when i saw my (front) tire fly off the rim and continue down the highway

Attachment 31715

The rims "life" was saved by half an inch of sidewall that stayed on the rim :/

Tansey86 03-24-2013 10:45 AM

I just hate the look more than anything. A bit I don't mind but I'd like them as flush and flat as possible

jshadeck 03-24-2013 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I dont like the look for my own cars either, the is300 was dialed out as far as possible w out a camber kit, and if id adjusted it much more the sidewall would have rubbed the fender

Attachment 31722

HATED1 03-24-2013 11:49 AM

Anybody know how much negative camber adjustability there is in the front if i purchased the crash bolts with sportlines?

I'm planning on putting 17x9 +30 in front, just want to know if I can tuck it in with neg camber with just the sportlines and crash bolts.

celica73 03-24-2013 01:49 PM

Crash bolts will let you add or subtract about 1 degree of camber.