Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   We Ask Toyota & Subaru about James May's Claim that Toyota Gets 90% of GT 86/FR-S/BRZ (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29249)

vh_supra26 02-18-2013 10:13 AM

We Ask Toyota & Subaru about James May's Claim that Toyota Gets 90% of GT 86/FR-S/BRZ

We Ask Toyota and Subaru about James May's Claim that Toyota Gets 90% of GT 86/FR-S/BRZ Production

Quote:

After testing the Toyota GT 86 and declaring it an absolute blast and very easy to drift even when reading a book (!), then handing it over to The Stig for the customary lap, Jeremy Clarkson sat down with the other two Top Gear hosts and discussed the news.

This is usually the less exciting part of BBC’s show. A CarScoop reader, who goes by the nickname “Uglydawg69”, though, tipped us off that in that episode during the three lads’ bantering, James May said Toyota and Subaru have agreed that the former will sell 90 out of every 100 coupes the latter manufactures at its Ota plant located 50 miles northwest of Tokyo.

In all the tons of info disclosed by the two Japanese manufacturers about their new coupes, this fact had never came up. We thought we should investigate whether this was true or not, so emails were promptly sent to Toyota USA / Scion, Toyota UK, Subaru Japan, Subaru UK and Subaru USA.

The press departments of Subaru Japan and Toyota USA / Scion unprofessionally brushed us off and did not reply to our message, but we did get an answer from the other three press contacts.

Toyota GB Press Relations manager Nik Pearson, who looked into the subject, told CarScoop the following: “This is something I have heard, yes. But to clarify, I have heard that for every 90 GT 86 produced (not sold) there will be 10 BR-Zs. So Toyota has 90 percent of the production”.

Subaru USA's products communication manager, Jessica Tullman, told Carscoop: "We can’t comment on business decisions such as those you (and Mr. May) mention. We have no idea what kind of deal would be between the companies and that would be confidential."
Subaru UK's Robin Barlett said: "Toyota do have the lion share of the production but I cannot confirm numbers or split I'm afraid. Perhaps there was the usual TG "licence" in there."
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2013/02...out-james.html

mechaghost 02-18-2013 11:17 AM

Sounds a little bit too skewed to Toyota, but they do way more volume than subaru

Sport-Tech 02-18-2013 11:20 AM

Well someone has a sales thread up following the monthlies and iirc it's showing about a 5:1 ratio favouring Toyota/Scion... that's quite a ways from a 10:1 split.

ICantAffordAnLFA 02-18-2013 11:51 AM

I suspect May's comment was UK specific, where the Subaru business as a whole is very low volume.

Actual sales figures which are published for the uk ( try howmanyleft ) I suspect would show a more extreme variation Toyota vs Subaru.

BRZ is super rare in the UK.

chulooz 02-18-2013 12:21 PM

Pretty split ratio, I dont think any BRZ guys would be complaining.

lazyluka 02-18-2013 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ICantAffordAnLFA (Post 741831)
I suspect May's comment was UK specific, where the Subaru business as a whole is very low volume.

Actual sales figures which are published for the uk ( try howmanyleft ) I suspect would show a more extreme variation Toyota vs Subaru.

BRZ is super rare in the UK.

As above, being Top Gear UK, I suspect most comments on the show are relative to the UK market only.

Here in NZ we only have 12 Subaru BRZ/s and over 100 86's at the moment. So the ratio may apply to us over here as well.

The US market can be completely different and usually is to the rest of the world.

Even before the car was produced, it was said Toyota would have the majority of the production, so while the exact ratio may vary from market to market, Toyota will still be getting more 86's than Subaru will BRZ's.

Dezoris 02-18-2013 02:39 PM

It is after all a toyota car.

moniz 02-18-2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 742132)
It is after all a toyota car.

Well it was Toyota's idea and motivation that launched the project, but minus the injection system and their interior/exterior design, it's all Subaru, manufactured in Subaru's plant. In actual physical fact is really Subaru's car, with Toyota making design and injection contributions.

fatoni 02-18-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sport-Tech (Post 741777)
Well someone has a sales thread up following the monthlies and iirc it's showing about a 5:1 ratio favouring Toyota/Scion... that's quite a ways from a 10:1 split.

its a 9:1 ratio but i would imagine that this might be different in different countries. i would imagine that there are huge markets where subaru has little foothold.

and can we stop this "its a toyota" no "its a subaru." there simply arent facts suggesting these things. it was a mutual endeavor. using the factory it was made in as evidence is like giving construction workers the credit that architects deserve.

Dezoris 02-18-2013 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moniz (Post 742174)
Well it was Toyota's idea and motivation that launched the project, but minus the injection system and their interior/exterior design, it's all Subaru, manufactured in Subaru's plant. In actual physical fact is really Subaru's car, with Toyota making design and injection contributions.

Subaru is a glorified contractor. The entire project was dreamed up and pushed through by Toyota. After reading that Tada blog it was basically pulling teeth to get Subaru on board, so its not a shock they don't have major interest in the project.

moniz 02-19-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dezoris (Post 742430)
Subaru is a glorified contractor. The entire project was dreamed up and pushed through by Toyota. After reading that Tada blog it was basically pulling teeth to get Subaru on board, so its not a shock they don't have major interest in the project.

Agreed. But what we're really talking about is a branding issue. Same with our electronics. Sure they may be Apple iPhones, or Samsungs or what have you, but let's face it, they're really Foxconn phones! :D

quasi86 02-19-2013 01:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moniz (Post 742174)

There Was An Article Posted In Another Thread That described How Toyota Basically Re-Engineered The Engine When The Subaru Version Topped Out At 160 HP Before It Began Exceeding Target Emissions. That's When The Direct Injection Was Also Integrated. Which Was Toyota's Most Advanced System And Not At All Part Of The Original Plan.

Transmission And Power Steering Are All Toyota Too. The Entire Concept Of Rear Drive, And Naturally Aspirated, All Toyota. Two Details Subaru Very Much Resisted At The Beginning.

Sportsguy83 02-19-2013 02:39 AM

Every other day a thread goes to the Subaru vs. Toyota debate. Can't we grow up?

industrial 02-19-2013 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 (Post 743600)
Every other day a thread goes to the Subaru vs. Toyota debate. Can't we grow up?

There will be no growing up until one side is declared the VICTOR. Internet forum death match rules.