Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Rocket bunny v3 width | Body kit or wheels first? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137568)

nik25 10-31-2019 01:06 AM

Rocket bunny v3 width | Body kit or wheels first?

Hi,
I have a 2013 Toyota GTS 86 and I wanted to install the rocket bunny v3 kit. I am new to modifying cars and in this space in general. I have 2 questions:

1. How much wider does the rocket bunny v3 kit make the car? Is the width of body kit flush with the stock side mirrors or does the kit stick out more than the side mirrors?

2. What do I install first? The a new set of wheels or the body kit? I really don't want to use spacers for the wheels, but would like it to be flush with the body kit.

I really wanted to see how the kit looks in real life, but its not something you see everyday in Australia, so I had to ask before I make this commitment

Mr.ac 10-31-2019 03:08 AM

Oh boy....
I really want to give you the full can of beans, but old man @humfrz would say not to.

But I'll be nice, you just got the car drive it. Enjoy it. Don't "mod" it yet. Talk to other fellow owners before doing something silly as putting a body kit with out planing it out.

I would start doing a deep dive on other body kits in this forum. That should point you in the right direction. Then look up wheel set ups other people have used on their rocket bunny kits.

Also FYI not a whole lot of love with rocket bunny kits. But I'm sure you already know that.

Joveen 10-31-2019 07:23 AM

Search! Join the Widebody 86 group on facebook. Buy the kit first and mock up and see how wide it is. Then buy wheels to fit specs. The forum has tons of wheel specs for wide body.

But in would do what the other said. A kit is not cheap and if you want to run wheels without spacers its gonna have to be custom. So $$$$ all that show and no go is a bunch of crap.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

humfrz 10-31-2019 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik25 (Post 3271411)
Hi,
I have a 2013 Toyota GTS 86 and I wanted to install the rocket bunny v3 kit. I am new to modifying cars and in this space in general. I have 2 questions:

1. How much wider does the rocket bunny v3 kit make the car? Is the width of body kit flush with the stock side mirrors or does the kit stick out more than the side mirrors?

2. What do I install first? The a new set of wheels or the body kit? I really don't want to use spacers for the wheels, but would like it to be flush with the body kit.

I really wanted to see how the kit looks in real life, but its not something you see everyday in Australia, so I had to ask before I make this commitment

Hello nik25 and welcome to our forum - :clap:

I see ol @Mr.ac went easy on you - :D

I would encourage you to reconsider a wide body kit for this car. It's expensive and won't do your resale value any good.

If you want to modify the looks of your car, you may consider lowering springs and a set of wheels you think are attractive.

old man humfrz

Leonardo 10-31-2019 11:22 AM

IMO, widebody kits are only cool if done properly. If you are on a budget; I would reconsider.

From a paint and body guys perspective; here are the steps:

Install kit.

Install suspension.

Measure.

Use your measurements to order Correct offset wheels.

nik25 10-31-2019 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 3271428)
Oh boy....
I really want to give you the full can of beans, but old man @humfrz would say not to.

But I'll be nice, you just got the car drive it. Enjoy it. Don't "mod" it yet. Talk to other fellow owners before doing something silly as putting a body kit with out planing it out.

I would start doing a deep dive on other body kits in this forum. That should point you in the right direction. Then look up wheel set ups other people have used on their rocket bunny kits.

Also FYI not a whole lot of love with rocket bunny kits. But I'm sure you already know that.

I had planned to mod the car with a body kit and wheels before I even bought it. I've had it for about 4 months. The issue is that I am fairly limited to the body kits I can purchase because I am from Australia, not USA. I've seen countless videos and instagram pictures of the rocket bunny v3. I am referencing the wheel and bodykit set up of a car I have seen before.

Also, may I ask why there isn't a lot of love for rocket bunny kits? They look pretty great to me.

nik25 10-31-2019 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3271516)
Hello nik25 and welcome to our forum - :clap:

I see ol @Mr.ac went easy on you - :D

I would encourage you to reconsider a wide body kit for this car. It's expensive and won't do your resale value any good.

If you want to modify the looks of your car, you may consider lowering springs and a set of wheels you think are attractive.

old man humfrz

I don't plan to sell this car tbh. Its a 2013 car and I plan to keep it for another 5 years. By that time, the resell value of this car won't be any good anyway.

Is there any kits you would recommend that doesn't require cutting the body, so I can remove the kit in the future, if I do ever resell it. All I would need to do is do some patch work on the holes which shouldn't be extremely expensive. Rare fenders, front Fenders and side skirts are really what I love.

Also I cannot lower my car either, because my house is on a hill, so I would basically keep scratching the car if I lowered it more.

Grey86 10-31-2019 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik25 (Post 3271762)
I had planned to mod the car with a body kit and wheels before I even bought it. I've had it for about 4 months. The issue is that I am fairly limited to the body kits I can purchase because I am from Australia, not USA. I've seen countless videos and instagram pictures of the rocket bunny v3. I am referencing the wheel and bodykit set up of a car I have seen before.

Also, may I ask why there isn't a lot of love for rocket bunny kits? They look pretty great to me.

I know this isnt exactly what you want but here are a few more options for a wide body its a Varis Japan kit. it is a Australian company the guys are actually really good to deal with and they can order in a rocket bunny kit if you ask them, they are one of the main suppliers in Australia. Plus its more of a realistic price in AUD. Just make sure you call them first to see if they have it in stock as im not sure if they keep this stuff stock on hand all the time?
Hope this help :D
https://www.prospeedracing.com.au/ca...e/varis-japan/

Joveen 10-31-2019 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik25 (Post 3271764)
I don't plan to sell this car tbh. Its a 2013 car and I plan to keep it for another 5 years. By that time, the resell value of this car won't be any good anyway.

Is there any kits you would recommend that doesn't require cutting the body, so I can remove the kit in the future, if I do ever resell it. All I would need to do is do some patch work on the holes which shouldn't be extremely expensive. Rare fenders, front Fenders and side skirts are really what I love.

Also I cannot lower my car either, because my house is on a hill, so I would basically keep scratching the car if I lowered it more.

The Karma kit doesnt require drilling. You could however reverse mount the kits. https://youtu.be/EBIUhzomwM0

Mr.ac 10-31-2019 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik25 (Post 3271762)

I guess you are a young fellow, but have you ever heard the term "ricer?"
Or the term " all show, no go?"

It's like Kim kar-trashing. She's all fake and ugly inside. But looks good. Know what I mean?

All those rocket bunny kits is all cosmetic. It didn't make you go faster, in fact it just adds more weight and makes it slower. It's like a body builder with fake muscles, and fake bar bells. Sure you can add a turbo or supercharger, but with all that money invested you could have got any V8/6, turbo 4 banger with more hp right off the box than any boosted 86.

I can go on and on but why? Some people like it. It's your car, your money, your taste.

Joveen 10-31-2019 09:19 PM

^^^ I agree to a degree. Building a car is an amazing experience. If can build the engine etc... and get his body kit it would be a proper car. Not everyone wants a V8/V6 or should I say no V8/V6 has the vision that he's after.

humfrz 10-31-2019 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by nik25 (Post 3271764)

Oh, pay me no nevermind, I'm just not a fan of body kits in general.

When I was a young man, we just didn't do stuff to car's bodies that made them look like something they weren't - :rolleyes:

:D

humfrz

nik25 11-01-2019 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grey86 (Post 3271766)
I know this isnt exactly what you want but here are a few more options for a wide body its a Varis Japan kit. it is a Australian company the guys are actually really good to deal with and they can order in a rocket bunny kit if you ask them, they are one of the main suppliers in Australia. Plus its more of a realistic price in AUD. Just make sure you call them first to see if they have it in stock as im not sure if they keep this stuff stock on hand all the time?
Hope this help :D
https://www.prospeedracing.com.au/ca...e/varis-japan/

They seem to be fairly expensive. I've found the full rocket bunny kit on eBay which is much cheaper.

nik25 11-01-2019 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr.ac (Post 3271786)
I guess you are a young fellow, but have you ever heard the term "ricer?"
Or the term " all show, no go?"

It's like Kim kar-trashing. She's all fake and ugly inside. But looks good. Know what I mean?

All those rocket bunny kits is all cosmetic. It didn't make you go faster, in fact it just adds more weight and makes it slower. It's like a body builder with fake muscles, and fake bar bells. Sure you can add a turbo or supercharger, but with all that money invested you could have got any V8/6, turbo 4 banger with more hp right off the box than any boosted 86.

I can go on and on but why? Some people like it. It's your car, your money, your taste.

I'm in my early 20's. I completely understand that it it won't make my car go faster. Personally, I don't want my car to go any faster than it does. I want to make my car a "show" car, rather than a performance car. I'm not that interested in racing tbh.