Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Forced Induction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=78)
-   -   brz vortech supercharger install? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35737)

Sniper2606 05-07-2013 12:39 AM

brz vortech supercharger install?

Planing on buying the complete kit in a few months.

Just wondering on the install if it can be done as a DYI home garage? I've heard some modification and shaving and cutting the wires on the MAF which i dont feel very comfortable doing, maybe a plug and play later on? can someone clarify this?

I do have good tools, not air tools

Thanks

dabocx 05-07-2013 01:00 AM

Seems the vast majority are doing the install themselves. There was talk of premade maf wiring but I don't know if that came to be just yet.

Sniper2606 05-07-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabocx (Post 916096)
Seems the vast majority are doing the install themselves. There was talk of premade maf wiring but I don't know if that came to be just yet.

I see, im also waiting on innovate, but looks like they completely drop the ball haven't seen any updates on their kit yet

congiiee 05-07-2013 01:05 AM

Hey dude I am 20 years old and know nothing about cars and I was able to install the kit. I did it all in my garage. Just need to pick up a few tools or you can borrow them from friends. Hardest thing for me really was drilling the hole for the intercooler. Going into the project I thought the MAF was kind of scary to cut and solder but it was very easy. Just watch a few youtube tutorials prior to install. Tip: Take your time and read instructions. USE REFERENCE PHOTOS! if you have any questions about the install you can PM me.

Sniper2606 05-07-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by congiiee (Post 916105)
Hey dude I am 20 years old and know nothing about cars and I was able to install the kit. I did it all in my garage. Just need to pick up a few tools or you can borrow them from friends. Hardest thing for me really was drilling the hole for the intercooler. Going into the project I thought the MAF was kind of scary to cut and solder but it was very easy. Just watch a few youtube tutorials prior to install. Tip: Take your time and read instructions. USE REFERENCE PHOTOS! if you have any questions about the install you can PM me.

I saw your install, very nice, feeling more confident now.

Im planning on getting UEL headers,overpipe, catless pipe and q300 exhaust first, and then the SC later when i crack the 10k or 20k miles, does anybody know if i would need a different tune with the complete kit or it doesnt matter? not sure if they would charge or not to change maps

reyruiz191 05-07-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by congiiee (Post 916105)

Pretty much everything he said. With basic tools you can get the job done yourself which will save you money on having a shop do it for you. The hardest part I also encountered was drilling the holes for the intercooler bracket, it also didn't help that I didn't have the proper drill but I still managed to get it done. The most important part is just making sure you have the time you think the install will take, and even some extra time in case you run into some setbacks along the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper2606 (Post 916112)
I saw your install, very nice, feeling more confident now.

Im planning on getting UEL headers,overpipe, catless pipe and q300 exhaust first, and then the SC later when i crack the 10k or 20k miles, does anybody know if i would need a different tune with the complete kit or it doesnt matter? not sure if they would charge or not to change maps

You typically will have to pay more money for a forced induction tune, so if you buy a tune while you're N/A then want to go FI you'll have to buy a new map from your tuner. If you dont plan on going FI for awhile then I would get a tune now, but if you plan on doing everything pretty soon I would just hold off on the tune until you go FI so you aren't wasting that money.

djdnz 05-07-2013 10:45 AM

There's a video on youtube that a forum member named "staycrushing" made. It goes into depth on the install, watch that and see for yourself.

Doesn't look too involved, you should be fine. Maybe have a friend help out, wrenching on cars with two people is generally a good time had by all. Don't forget some beers.

Pablitomarrero 05-07-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djdnz (Post 916667)
There's a video on youtube that a forum member named "staycrushing" made. It goes into depth on the install, watch that and see for yourself.

Doesn't look too involved, you should be fine. Maybe have a friend help out, wrenching on cars with two people is generally a good time had by all. Don't forget some beers.

Really? I thought it was just a 10 minute preview of a DVD he made- supposedly extremely well detailed

Sniper2606 05-07-2013 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablitomarrero (Post 916986)
Really? I thought it was just a 10 minute preview of a DVD he made- supposedly extremely well detailed

http://store.drifting.com/mrescfrbrzvo.html

You mean this?

Its $24 to buy, i might just get that

Pablitomarrero 05-07-2013 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper2606 (Post 917031)

You mean this?

yup! I was planning on buying it if I was to get the vortech. I have the PDF instructions they provided and honestly...they are shit for someone who has little experience. I could only get to page 2 before I was completely lost

PERRIN_Chris 05-07-2013 01:39 PM

The kit comes with instructions that are very detailed that are over 40 pages long! I can email it to you if you like. Plus there's a lot of guys on here that have done the install, and you can even contact Vortech directly. They're super helpful.

Sniper2606 05-07-2013 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PERRIN_Chris (Post 917103)
The kit comes with instructions that are very detailed that are over 40 pages long! I can email it to you if you like. Plus there's a lot of guys on here that have done the install, and you can even contact Vortech directly. They're super helpful.

Well i order the kit, i just wish they had a plug and play MAF so i dont have to cut the wires

reyruiz191 05-07-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper2606 (Post 917031)

You mean this?

I actually bought it, but it never came. I ordered it about the last week of march and I still have yet to recieve it. My kit came in so I just went ahead with the install using the pdf instructions which weren't that hard to follow. I emailed them twice about it but no response. I've been meaning to try and call them and see if i can get a response that way but I kinda forgot about it until this post reminded me.

Brian@Vortech 05-07-2013 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper2606 (Post 917111)
Well i order the kit, i just wish they had a plug and play MAF so i dont have to cut the wires

We do have plug-and-play wiring harnesses! They'll be here later this week.

Vortech P/N: 5W001-094 - MSRP $93.95