Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   2017 HU with streaming music from phone (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=129350)

Brink 08-01-2018 09:13 PM

2017 HU with streaming music from phone

When I use a music streaming app like Pandora or Spotify on my phone to play over the bluetooth connection to the HU it doesn't update track info properly as new songs come on. The HU will just keep displaying the info of whatever was playing when it first connected (or sometimes it doesn't display any info) until it's turned off. I never had this problem when playing music from iTunes though, it always updated properly with that. Anyone else experiencing this or know a fix? I have an iPhone 6S if that makes a difference.

Grady 08-01-2018 10:01 PM

Yep the head unit sucks! Same on mine.

TofuJoe 08-01-2018 10:10 PM

Apple Music works. Most other stuff doesn’t. Just get a nice exhaust and listen to that instead...LOL

Brink 08-01-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TofuJoe (Post 3117059)
Apple Music works. Most other stuff doesn’t. Just get a nice exhaust and listen to that instead...LOL

Sometimes I do just listen to the exhaust, but when I want to listen to music I like to know what I'm listening to.

Chris_ 08-01-2018 11:59 PM

Same on mine. I brought it in to see if there were any firmware updates but was told there weren't any.

tehShirt 08-02-2018 09:23 AM

This problem isn't just specific to our cars. My friend has a 2016 Impreza with a starlink radio and it does the same thing when streaming Spotify.

weederr33 08-02-2018 09:42 AM

Are you referring to the Pandora "app" or just the bluetooth connection? My phone almost never connects to the actual Pandora app. But when it's streaming just through the bluetooth connection, I just ignore whatever the screen says so long as I can listen to my music.

Brink 08-02-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by weederr33 (Post 3117160)
Are you referring to the Pandora "app" or just the bluetooth connection? My phone almost never connects to the actual Pandora app. But when it's streaming just through the bluetooth connection, I just ignore whatever the screen says so long as I can listen to my music.

The lock screen on my phone displays the correct info, it's just the HU that doesn't update. Although I think I found once that it only works if Pandora was the last thing playing on my phone when it connects so it starts playing automatically - if I try to open Pandora and start it manually after it's connected to the HU it does some dumb Starlink thing.

NCtoBRZ 08-02-2018 01:44 PM

Yup, the factory head unit sucks in both function and sound. There is an auto-launch on BT setting in Pandora (on Android, I’m not sure about the iPhone) that seemed to help some with Pandora connecting and displaying track info accurately. Ultimately, the best solution is to upgrade to an aftermarket head-unit, which is what I did just a few months after buying my BRZ. The aftermarket head unit (Pioneer AVH-2330NEX in my case) is better in every possible way than the factory unit.

TofuJoe 08-02-2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ (Post 3117269)
Yup, the factory head unit sucks in both function and sound. There is an auto-launch on BT setting in Pandora (on Android, I’m not sure about the iPhone) that seemed to help some with Pandora connecting and displaying track info accurately. Ultimately, the best solution is to upgrade to an aftermarket head-unit, which is what I did just a few months after buying my BRZ. The aftermarket head unit (Pioneer AVH-2330NEX in my case) is better in every possible way than the factory unit.

Does the AVH-2330NEX work with the stock faceplate?

Mr.ac 08-02-2018 11:02 PM

Yep same issue has you but I use the USB cable, for me that update the info after each song. Via Bluetooth it's hit or miss.

MidEastBeast 08-03-2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TofuJoe (Post 3117394)

No. Do research on it first. The 2017 HU has the trapezoidal configuration. You'll need to buy a harness or something to cover the inevitable gaps.

This is one example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Connects2-C...item58fc6bc56e

NCtoBRZ 08-03-2018 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TofuJoe (Post 3117394)

I used the Scosche dash kit https://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SU2...t.html?tp=3121. Just about any standard single or double din aftermarket head unit will fit with this dash kit. Obviously you’ll also need a wiring harness and several adapters depending on which functions that you care to retain such as steering wheel controls, factory USB & aux, satellite radio.

Rederick 08-16-2018 07:23 PM

god damn this head unit sucks. I have a 2017, and thought I was going crazy trying to get pandora/bluetooth audio to work more than 1% of the time. I for the life of me can not figure out what magical process is required to get pandora to link up via bluetooth. I just works randomly once then never again for a few weeks.