Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   3-28-23 DON'T UPDATE YOUR ECUTEK PRO ECU SOFTWARE!! (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152923)

FR-S2GT86 03-28-2023 11:42 AM

3-28-23 DON'T UPDATE YOUR ECUTEK PRO ECU SOFTWARE!!

https://www.reddit.com/r/ft86/commen...april_26_2023/

Everyone needs to read this ASAP!

tomm.brz 03-28-2023 12:53 PM

not a big deal, it seems to affect only USDM roms
it is possible to bypass at any time the compatibility check and flash an equivalent ( and more stable since US tune has a bunch of bugs when racerom is applied) European rom,
like openflash does with their v4 OFT tunes

FR-S2GT86 03-28-2023 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomm.brz (Post 3574466)
not a big deal, it seems to affect only USDM roms
it is possible to bypass at any time the compatibility check and flash an equivalent ( and more stable since US tune has a bunch of bugs when racerom is applied) European rom,
like openflash does with their v4 OFT tunes

This may not affect everyone worldwide, but it affects me personally as well as many others here in North America.

I predict that in upcoming revisions of the Pro ECU software, (if they haven't already) ECUTEK will remove many important features preventing a large portion of it's customers from properly tuning or even obtaining calibrations for their existing tunes.

It's best to hold off from updating until we hear otherwise.

DocWalt 03-28-2023 02:13 PM

It won't be a big deal, the Cobb software is fine after they disabled the emissions stuff. Just gotta deal with playing within the boundaries. Can't disable cold start and such anymore which is the biggest loss, I think.

Stupid diesel coal rolling turds ruining it for everyone else.

Breadman 03-28-2023 02:56 PM

Kind of shocked this didnt happen sooner honestly. I will say there might be hope because "emission compliant" diesel tunes are getting pretty good now. Still fucking stupid considering that a handfull of cargoship make more pollution that all the modified cars combined.

FR-S2GT86 03-28-2023 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocWalt (Post 3574478)
It won't be a big deal, the Cobb software is fine after they disabled the emissions stuff. gotta deal with playing within the boundaries. Can't disable cold start and such anymore which is the biggest loss, I think.

Stupid diesel coal rolling turds ruining it for everyone else.

Exactly, which means in the current configuration of the programming, flex-fuel is no longer going to be an option as you must hijack either one of 3 OEM sensor inputs (CPC, MAF, or rear O2) to connect your ethanol content sensor to, in essence, removing that original OEM sensor from use, which, going forward will most likely not be possible.

A few years ago, when I was just beginning to learn about ECUTek and studying wiring diagrams and the available ECU inputs, I made a statement that was pretty much disregarded by most here concerning the addition of a new sensor input, instead of the hijacking of an existing one to connect the ethanol content sensor output to. This would have avoided this whole issue had it come to fruition. One other person here was interested at the time but I don't believe it went anywhere past just being an idea. We may now have to rethink this as an alternate input possibility.

tomm.brz 03-28-2023 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 (Post 3574477)
This may not affect everyone worldwide, but it affects me personally as well as many others here in North America.

I predict that in upcoming revisions of the Pro ECU software, (if they haven't already) ECUTEK will remove many important features preventing a large portion of it's customers from properly tuning or even obtaining calibrations for their existing tunes.

It's best to hold off from updating until we hear otherwise.

it is quite easy to switch your North america tune to an Euro tune, car will drive even better and virtually no bugs ever
You can also reswitch easily back to USDM tune then, if you need to have your car controlled
So not a big deal

Breadman 03-28-2023 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomm.brz (Post 3574518)
it is quite easy to switch your North america tune to an Euro tune, car will drive even better and virtually no bugs ever
You can also reswitch easily back to USDM tune then, if you need to have your car controlled
So not a big deal

How would that work if you were boosted?

PulsarBeeerz 03-28-2023 08:38 PM

How does that effect flex-fuel tunes? They still make great power with all the factory exhaust emission devices.

FR-S2GT86 03-28-2023 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomm.brz (Post 3574518)
So not a big deal

It's not the calibration files that are being threatened, it's the Pro ECU tuning suite itself that is at stake. Several of the important RaceRom features will be nonexistent. If we don't have those features in the software, they can't be integrated into the tune. Being able to choose which sensor to hijack is a feature of RaceRom.

The entire Pro ECU software suite will become almost worthless to all of the North American customers who have invested in it and I'm pretty certain that this will affect not only the home tuner here, but also every professional tuner using ECUTEK to build their tunes. My tuner resides in the US and uses Pro ECU to build his tunes and I don't want to lose his services due this issue. This is not going to be good for anyone here in NA.

DarkPira7e 03-28-2023 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 (Post 3574534)
I'm pretty certain that this will affect not only the home tuner here, but also every professional tuner using ECUTEK to build their tunes

I think it will be more dangerous to ECUTEK master tuners who likely are forced to update to keep their licensure in check. Home brew tuners using the individual licensing like me can just not update and will be fine (though excluded from future updates with the application by choosing to do so)

FR-S2GT86 03-28-2023 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz (Post 3574533)
How does that effect flex-fuel tunes? They still make great power with all the factory exhaust emission devices.

I'll answer your question with another question:

How is your flex fuel ethanol content sensor connected to your ECU?

PulsarBeeerz 03-28-2023 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR-S2GT86 (Post 3574538)
I'll answer your question with another question:

How is your flex fuel ethanol content sensor connected to your ECU?

Ugh.. Something told me to buy it soon than later. The EPA scare last year was the whole reason I pulled the trigger on FI.

FR-S2GT86 03-28-2023 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkPira7e (Post 3574536)
I think it will be more dangerous to ECUTEK master tuners who likely are forced to update to keep their licensure in check. Home brew tuners using the individual licensing like me can just not update and will be fine (though excluded from future updates with the application by choosing to do so)

Yes, and that's why I say don't update your Pro ECU software when prompted.

I have the Pro ECU suite myself and do my own flashing of purchased tunes and calibrations, but if my tuner can't write the tunes with the features that are required to operate the engine in the configuration that I need, I'm screwed. And he'll be screwed too because he lost a customer.