Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   VIS CF Trunk fitment?? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113359)

T_Pots_BRZ 11-29-2016 05:05 PM

VIS CF Trunk fitment??

Hey everyone,

So lately I've been considering swapping out my stock trunk with a VIS CF trunk, but my only concerns have been fitment. Has anyone out here tried one of these trunks before? If so, how's the fitment? Any weird gaps or offsets between the trunk and the body of the car? Let me know!! Thanks...

Joe-G 11-30-2016 03:59 AM

I have the VIS OE style trunk and it fits okay. No major issues.

It seemed a little tight by the rear window when closing (almost worried it would snap off when closing) but it doesn't pinch even 1 sheet of paper; so clearance is good on mine.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...975c3172b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

projectXTR 11-30-2016 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe-G (Post 2806062)
I have the VIS OE style trunk and it fits okay. No major issues.

It seemed a little tight by the rear window when closing (almost worried it would snap off when closing) but it doesn't pinch even 1 sheet of paper; so clearance is good on mine.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...975c3172b2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice, is it considerably lighter than stock?

Joe-G 11-30-2016 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projectXTR (Post 2806071)

Hard to say, I think its around the same weight. It could be slightly less though.

My VIS hood is definitely heavier than stock though.

Crazypinoy9 11-30-2016 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe-G (Post 2806224)
Hard to say, I think its around the same weight. It could be slightly less though.

My VIS hood is definitely heavier than stock though.

Definitely a cosmetic only thing unless you get something vented. I love it when people change out their FR-S/BRZ hoods for carbon fiber for "weight savings". People don't realize how light the stock hood is...

Joe-G 11-30-2016 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crazypinoy9 (Post 2806351)
Definitely a cosmetic only thing unless you get something vented. I love it when people change out their FR-S/BRZ hoods for carbon fiber for "weight savings". People don't realize how light the stock hood is...

The only real lightweight, and strong carbon pieces for the FRS/BRZ are manufactured by Marsh Power House Fabrication as far as I know.

He makes some really high quality stuff. Everything else is just aesthetics.

i heart ricers 11-30-2016 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projectXTR (Post 2806071)

"carbon fiber" parts are not lighter than stock

real "carbon fiber" parts are

projectXTR 12-01-2016 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i heart ricers (Post 2806408)
"carbon fiber" parts are not lighter than stock

real "carbon fiber" parts are

"ok"

i heart ricers 12-01-2016 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projectXTR (Post 2806712)
"ok"

do you understand? or nah?

go_a_way1 12-01-2016 09:28 AM

Haha @projectXTR he is right. I got a carbon fiber hood,roof,trunk its all cosmetic unless you buy real dry carbon fhen it's lighter. The clearcoated stuff we all love the look of really doesn't do anything. Granted the seibon trunk is noticeably lighter when closing it then stock, how much performance is that, likely next to none.

projectXTR 12-01-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go_a_way1 (Post 2806737)
Haha @projectXTR he is right. I got a carbon fiber hood,roof,trunk its all cosmetic unless you buy real dry carbon fhen it's lighter. The clearcoated stuff we all love the look of really doesn't do anything. Granted the seibon trunk is noticeably lighter when closing it then stock, how much performance is that, likely next to none.

I was unaware this specific trunk wasn't dry carbon. I must've confused it with some other brand.:bonk:
I too love the carbon look, but I just can't justify the price if it doesn't have some sort of weight savings. Saw some dry carbon doors at a japanese website the other day. They made me :drool: all over my keyboard until I saw the price...

go_a_way1 12-01-2016 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by projectXTR (Post 2806820)
I was unaware this specific trunk wasn't dry carbon. I must've confused it with some other brand.:bonk:
I too love the carbon look, but I just can't justify the price if it doesn't have some sort of weight savings. Saw some dry carbon doors at a japanese website the other day. They made me :drool: all over my keyboard until I saw the price...

Yup haha. That's why I went with wet carbon. 1/2 the price hahaha!! I am FI so weight doesn't matter as much anymore