Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Learning to use paddles better than an automatic (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130154)

FRSBRZGT86FAN 09-13-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Summerwolf (Post 3132535)
You can skip the AT. It's pretty boring to drive. First twin I test drove was an AT (all that was available) and i put the thought of owning a twin out of my mind for a couple years. The AT was not a great feeling and I thought the car was incredulously slow. Being paired to the AT didn't help the speed thing, but....it was not the car I thought it would be at first drive.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Impureclient (Post 3132665)
Same thing with a GTR, 488, Huracan, etc. Nothing beats a manual trans. Civic or Camry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ermax (Post 3132815)
I have a friend who owned a GTR and got bored of it not having a MT. He has a BMW F80 now with MT.

I actually really enjoyed the PDK 718 boxster and the latest DSG in the Audi S7, after test driving those, the latest dual clutch tech is incredibly smooth and fast. It's almost imperceptible how quickly they shift and you get almost no drive-train chatter. I highly suggest you guys test drive one of them.

The GT-R still has a relatively old GR6 transmission, they've really only improved it with some core material and electronics and TCM program changes. At it's core it's still clunky and odd to drive at slow city speeds.

Johnny Horsepower 09-14-2018 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3132952)
YIKES, Johnny Horsepower, we have posted several pages addressing your questions about how to shift a car with an automatic transmission and you still appear to be confused.

I suggest you just put that sucker in "D" and enjoy the handling of the car.

;)

humfrz

Dafuq? Out of those several pages of posts (many of which were helpful - thanks, guys), I'm only confused by the guy who's shocked that I want to use manual mode. Your suggestion that I should use D because someone doesn't understand why I want to use M makes no sense at all.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 3132968)
If you don't understand what I meant and what others meant with their comments you have no hope with this car or this forum :lol:

I understand what the others meant, and some of what you meant, so maybe there's still hope for me.

Quote:

Did you not read my entire post? Or even anyone elses? You don't need to keep it in manual mode all the time, otherwise what was the purpose of buying the auto?

I read all the posts. Did you read mine? I've already answered that question: at least for a beginner, a MT is way the hell harder to shift than just flicking a stick or paddle. That's the purpose of buying the auto. And I don't want to keep it in manual mode all the time, so that's another purpose.

Quote:

If you're highway cruising from point a to b and just want to relax you keep it in auto. If you want to have fun then switch it to manual mode end of story and that's all I was trying to get at. Never ever said it was track specific either

Now that I get, but you're changing your tune. Compare what you just said to this:

"You're done accelerating why are you in manual mode in the first place? Just a straight goddamn line? Is there a corner coming up? Are you on a highway?"

Do I have to be like "Oh shit a straight goddamn line's coming up! Gotta take it out of manual mode!" Can't I just use manual mode because I feel like it, not only when the particular situation can't be perfectly handled by the auto? It seems that now you are saying yes, when before you were saying no.

Quote:

Are you inept? Or just don't understand cars in general? Of course you NEED to know what gear you're in in manual mode because it help you shift and lets you know how much you can downshift pre-emptively.

Come on, you'd know when to shift without knowing what gear you were in. It's not going to let you shift above 6 or below 1, or stall or redline. Now I'd still like to know what gear I was in, just saying it would still work out otherwise.

Quote:

Honestly, What purpose does it serve to know what gear you're in in D?

I've given one example: if you accelerate to 50 mph in 3rd gear, and then stop accelerating, I'd like to know if the AT upshifts directly from 3rd to 6th. Because some people say it's bad to skip gears. It's a reasonable thing to be curious about. In general, I just think it would be cool watching the numbers change to see how it works.

Quote:

Also you gain nothing in sport mode that you don't already get by switching to manual mode.

Except that sport mode can handle a straight goddamn line. :)

Quote:

If you're keep your hands at 9 and 3 on a track or autox even the paddles are always going to be left hand for down and right hand for up.

Maybe that works on a track or autox, but I'm thinking about daily driving. I guess I need to look into steering techniques, but what about hand over hand steering in a parking lot?

humfrz 09-14-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Horsepower (Post 3133121)
Dafuq? Out of those several pages of posts (many of which were helpful - thanks, guys), I'm only confused by the guy who's shocked that I want to use manual mode. Your suggestion that I should use D because someone doesn't understand why I want to use M makes no sense at all.

Maybe it makes no sense to you at all, is because I reckon I wasn't clear about what I meant. What I was getting at is that I get the idea you are overthinking this whole transmission shifting thing and that may be interfering with your pleasure of enjoying what this car is really good at - like handling on the curves - :iono:

humfrz

finch1750 09-14-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Maybe that works on a track or autox, but I'm thinking about daily driving. I guess I need to look into steering techniques, but what about hand over hand steering in a parking lot?

You should have no reason to use the paddles if the wheel is turned that much. They will always straighten out before you should be shifting (either before you enter the turn or once you exit)

Do you own any racing games? Buy one with a steering wheel shifter and it'll teach you a lot of what you are asking.

finch1750 09-14-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by humfrz (Post 3133250)
Maybe it makes no sense to you at all, is because I reckon I wasn't clear about what I meant. What I was getting at is that I get the idea you are overthinking this whole transmission shifting thing and that may be interfering with your pleasure of enjoying what this cat is really good at - like handling on the curves - :iono:

humfrz

^that. Getting out there and trying it will help you understand a ton more then us all talking on here.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 09-14-2018 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finch1750 (Post 3133260)
^that. Getting out there and trying it will help you understand a ton more then us all talking on here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by finch1750 (Post 3133252)
You should have no reason to use the paddles if the wheel is turned that much. They will always straighten out before you should be shifting (either before you enter the turn or once you exit)

Do you own any racing games? Buy one with a steering wheel shifter and it'll teach you a lot of what you are asking.

Thank god others answered like yourself, he's clueless.....

FRSBRZGT86FAN 09-14-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

I understand what the others meant, and some of what you meant, so maybe there's still hope for me.

I read all the posts. Did you read mine? I've already answered that question: at least for a beginner, a MT is way the hell harder to shift than just flicking a stick or paddle. That's the purpose of buying the auto. And I don't want to keep it in manual mode all the time, so that's another purpose.

Now that I get, but you're changing your tune. Compare what you just said to this:

"You're done accelerating why are you in manual mode in the first place? Just a straight goddamn line? Is there a corner coming up? Are you on a highway?"

Do I have to be like "Oh shit a straight goddamn line's coming up! Gotta take it out of manual mode!" Can't I just use manual mode because I feel like it, not only when the particular situation can't be perfectly handled by the auto? It seems that now you are saying yes, when before you were saying no.

Come on, you'd know when to shift without knowing what gear you were in. It's not going to let you shift above 6 or below 1, or stall or redline. Now I'd still like to know what gear I was in, just saying it would still work out otherwise.

I've given one example: if you accelerate to 50 mph in 3rd gear, and then stop accelerating, I'd like to know if the AT upshifts directly from 3rd to 6th. Because some people say it's bad to skip gears. It's a reasonable thing to be curious about. In general, I just think it would be cool watching the numbers change to see how it works.

Except that sport mode can handle a straight goddamn line. :)

I didn't change my tune, I said specifically there are scenarios for both. But regardless you don't know much about cars and you lack comprehension of simple concepts, so I won't post anymore on this thread :lol:

You shouldn't be using manual mode in situations where you'd be lock to lock on the wheel in anyway, that's absolutely ridiculous and proves your complete lack of understanding. Keep it in auto in tight parking lot scenarios, you'd have to go to reverse anyway....

I'd hate to see some news where you crashed your car into something because you didn't know how the manual mode worked

finch1750 09-14-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN (Post 3133326)
Thank god others answered like yourself, he's clueless.....

I borderline think we are being trolled at this point, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now

FRSBRZGT86FAN 09-14-2018 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finch1750 (Post 3133329)
I borderline think we are being trolled at this point, but I'll give the benefit of the doubt for now

Me too, his only posts have been this one, I'm surprised he hasn't had any other "issues" with his car. Also the auto mode is really self explanatory, my girlfriend with 0 car experience picked it up and was playing with it quite a bit within 30 minutes, it really isn't that hard....

chaoskaze 09-14-2018 04:16 PM

Don't know what i miss but looks like millennials strikes again. :cheers:

Op the reason to use manual mode is that you can keep the engine in the rev range where it produce the most power at the moment you want. (NOT 1 or 2 second later as rev needs to climb)

Just go out & let someone that knows what they are doing take you for a ride on a tight canyon road.

bkharmony 09-14-2018 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Horsepower (Post 3132946)
Yeah, I actually use the stick more often, it's just much easier to say or google "paddles" than "the stick for manual shift mode on an AT." I never try using the paddles when turning.

Whut?

Quote:

Yeah, like the Back to the Future DeLorean. Not sure if we actually see Marty shift or it's just implied, but we definitely see the clutch pedal at one point, yet the Doc drives it via remote control. I think the FR-S semi-automatic transmission is about as close as we're going to get to that for a while.
Huh???

Quote:

Except that sport mode can handle a straight goddamn line.
OK, I'm beginning to think this was written by a bot and this is just a troll job.

FRSBRZGT86FAN 09-14-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkharmony (Post 3133383)
Whut?

Love your profile picture :lol:

PetrolioBenzina 09-14-2018 07:41 PM

Quote:

Post pics of this parking lot, please. Do they require a tech inspection before they allow you to park?

FRSBRZGT86FAN 09-14-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina (Post 3133397)
Post pics of this parking lot, please. Do they require a tech inspection before they allow you to park?

They also require at minimum:

SA2015 helmet purchased within the last 2 years
HANS Device

IF you have a passenger in said parking lot you also must have a roll cage :lol: