Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Fixing a dent under the door (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135852)

Silverz 07-17-2019 09:57 PM

Fixing a dent under the door

So I parked the at the airport parking lot for a week and got back to a dent underneath one of the doors.

Tried the heat gun and compressed air. Then the glue stick and puller and neither Had enough ooomp to get the dent out.

I pulled the upper trim piece at the door seal and notice some staples holding the carpet on. Didn’t take the staples off to investigate if there was any openings there to get access to push out the dent. Has anyone looked underneath this carpet and if so is there any access to the area under the door?

humfrz 07-17-2019 11:06 PM

Welcome to our forum - :clap:

Too bad your car got dinged - :(

No I haven't tried that.

A picture would help us visualize your problem.

I would suggest you have a PDR person push/pull out the dent.

;)

humfrz

Tcoat 07-18-2019 08:47 AM

If you are talking the rocker panel at the bottom of the car then there is no access point. Any dent will have to be pulled from the outside. These panels are also much heavier than the skin of the rest of the car so it isn't easy.

Nevermore 07-18-2019 08:53 AM

That seems like a really random place to get dinged. Any idea how it happened?

max20s14 07-18-2019 09:24 AM

You most likely have to solder a bolt to it an pull it out then bondo if its the rocker panel

Tcoat 07-18-2019 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max20s14 (Post 3238231)
You most likely have to solder a bolt to it an pull it out then bondo if its the rocker panel

The PDR guys can probably do it with the temporary epoxy and not even scratch the paint. They have some almost magical methods.

Nevermore 07-18-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by max20s14 (Post 3238231)

I was amazed at just how effective this was when I saw a similar technique applied on a wrecked car while watching a youtube rebuild series. A completely crumbled rear corner was brought to shape almost perfectly with very little effort.

Silverz 07-18-2019 11:09 AM

Yeah. Rocker panel under the door. It’s some thick metal and wouldn’t budge with the stick glue pull.

I’m thinking now that it may be from a piece of blown out truck tire on the road. I remember running over it a week before now that I think back. Door is fine but it’s right below the door.

Tcoat 07-18-2019 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverz (Post 3238277)
Yeah. Rocker panel under the door. It’s some thick metal and wouldn’t budge with the stick glue pull.

I’m thinking now that it may be from a piece of blown out truck tire on the road. I remember running over it a week before now that I think back. Door is fine but it’s right below the door.

Take it to a PDR guy. Without seeing it I would still guess under $100.

Silverz 07-18-2019 02:40 PM

Think i’ll Get an estimate from pdr guy this evening. Guy said they would have to pull it out because of no access to rocker panel.

Anyone know how the rocker panel is fastened to the car? Is it by welds or clips?

Tcoat 07-18-2019 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silverz (Post 3238379)
Think i’ll Get an estimate from pdr guy this evening. Guy said they would have to pull it out because of no access to rocker panel.

Anyone know how the rocker panel is fastened to the car? Is it by welds or clips?

Welds. It is part of the frame structure not a separate piece.