Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   exhaust cracking and leaking (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29458)

driver01 02-20-2013 06:13 PM

exhaust cracking and leaking

exhaust cracking and leaking

Skorov 02-20-2013 06:17 PM

Shit... I was planning to get this.
Is this the original or the new "lightweight" one?

AJ PwR 02-20-2013 06:23 PM

OMG ! It's leaking pretty bad too. I think you should talk to the place where you bought it from and they should do something about it.

Good luck !

tech4pdx 02-20-2013 06:30 PM

So much for HKS.. Hope you get it resolved.

XPR Small Block 02-20-2013 06:32 PM

its deffinately a manufacture defect!!! either supplier or manufacture HAS to replace it.... i wouldnt tell them you had it for three years though... maybe a year or two at most but even after 5 years it shouldnt be cracking on the WELDS.. as an ase certified mechanic id say make the manufacture pay for repair

Mr.Jay 02-20-2013 06:36 PM

wow

thats terrible it has to be a defect cause man thats really shoddy craftsmanship considering this car hasn't been out for that long

mad_sb 02-20-2013 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XPR Small Block (Post 747508)
its deffinately a manufacture defect!!! either supplier or manufacture HAS to replace it.... i wouldnt tell them you had it for three years though... maybe a year or two at most but even after 5 years it shouldnt be cracking on the WELDS.. as an ase certified mechanic id say make the manufacture pay for repair

umm he said 3 months :)

No Limit Motorsport 02-20-2013 06:45 PM

Unacceptable. However getting HKS to cover it is going to be next to impossible.

JoeBoxer 02-20-2013 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No Limit Motorsport (Post 747534)
Unacceptable. However getting HKS to cover it is going to be next to impossible.

This is why i like Perrin and Motiv, I was wanting to get all Greddy stuff at first but i like having people here in the USA to handle issues, it may not be JDM but turns out thats a good thing when this happens.

XPR Small Block 02-20-2013 07:06 PM

well even better 3 months i would just cut it all off an ship it back tell them you want your money and get the nameless axle back :) im waiting till there done tuning an they are also coming out with an intake manifold not cold air intake but a manifold :)

driver01 02-20-2013 07:36 PM

will post pictures of the repair in the next couple days, cost me 150 dollars to tig weld all the seams, reinforce the bracket and seal the leak, to be honest I am not expecting to get my money back.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorov (Post 747464)
Shit... I was planning to get this.
Is this the original or the new "lightweight" one?

I am not aware of different versions, can you advice on how to tell the difference?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJ PwR (Post 747480)
OMG ! It's leaking pretty bad too. I think you should talk to the place where you bought it from and they should do something about it.

Good luck !

I have contacted the store where I bought the exhaust from, which is here in canada. After a few days of them trying to find out who to deal with in the states, they called me and told me that I can either ship the exhaust to california for warranty inspection or get it repaired and they would pay for it. I didnt feel like waiting for a month or 2 to get this resolved so I just took care of it.

Skorov 02-20-2013 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by driver01 (Post 747652)
I am not aware of different versions, can you advice on how to tell the difference?

If the tips are the Carbon Fibre tips, it is the old Spec-L exhaust. If the tips are burnt Ti tips then it is the new "lightweight" version. Both are called Hi Flow Spec-L which can be quite confusing.

EDIT: I'm assuming its the old Spec-L since you've had it for 3 months.

driver01 02-21-2013 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skorov (Post 747721)
If the tips are the Carbon Fibre tips, it is the old Spec-L exhaust. If the tips are burnt Ti tips then it is the new "lightweight" version. Both are called Hi Flow Spec-L which can be quite confusing.

EDIT: I'm assuming its the old Spec-L since you've had it for 3 months.

I got carbon fiber on the tips

Tylub 02-21-2013 05:20 AM

hope things get sorted out for you