Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Low quality construction (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29214)

supramkivtt2jz 02-17-2013 09:20 PM

Low quality construction

So Ive only owned three cars previously to this that Ive had the ability to get truly intimate with, and after my 7 hour detailing session today, ive noticed the car's construction quality is absolute shit compared to everything else ive owned.

I understand these are big words (I love this car - I really do), but this is nothing that I am used to. My previous cars were a '99 Ford Taurus, '00 Ford Mustang, and '05 Audi A4.

I noticed several issues and I hope you guys can put my mind at ease on this... The last thing I want to do is worry about the car falling apart on me. So, heres a list of issues ive discovered so far.

Rear reverse assembly - is this literally hanging in there? there is seemingly NOTHING holding it to the rear bumper on the bottom. I can fit my entire finger between the assembly and the "under-assembly" piece. This entire area is essentially hanging on the car. A "love tap" from another motorist will undoubtedly cause the assembly to fall out of the bumper.

Rear bumper - there are NO supports for this thing in the reverse light area. its a floppy piece of shit.

Side vents - it literally makes a SQUISHING sound I press on it. Is this normal??? My Mustang's side vents were held on with double sided tape, but this is nuts.

Windows trim - everything flexes when I push on it. How is this a standard of quality? Im not talking Audi quality here - I would be happy with Ford quality at this point.

Side mirror base - same thing with the window trim. flexes easily and not sturdy at all. a rock at any speed would cause this to shatter.

turn indicator housing in front bumper - feels like they are literally placed in there with no mounting. Any force at all causes these to flex and move like wet card board

weather stripping - every bit of it on the car feels like it would rip in half if i sneezed on it. the front hood area where it meets the front bumper is terrible.

mud flaps - feel like theyre barely held on. I know its a few screws, but really, they feel like they could rip off with ease.

steering column base - feels like everything else. an asthmatic blowing through a straw could send this thing flying.

Everything else doesnt seem too bad.... but its little bugs like this that annoy me. Im considering taking double sided tape to everything in hopes of "reinforcing" the exterior trim and steering column shroud. the rear bumper is a whole other issue...

_hollywood 02-17-2013 09:23 PM

I stopped reading after "previous ford taurus and mustang owner" ....you sir have high standards huh?

supramkivtt2jz 02-17-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _hollywood (Post 740941)
I stopped reading after "previous ford taurus and mustang owner" ....you sir have high standards huh?

The Mustang got me more punanny than the FR-S has. No regrets on that one.

But seriously, at least on those vehicles the rear bumper cover was attached to something.

QFry 02-17-2013 09:33 PM

Sadly i read this post and (even after having detailed my car several times so i should already know) went out to my car and checked everything listed...
With exception of reverse light housing i have none of these problems :iono:

Frostyman 02-17-2013 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supramkivtt2jz (Post 740946)
The Mustang got me more punanny than the FR-S has. No regrets on that one.

Let's be real here. I have YET to get a female to offer her "accompaniment" in exchange for a ride in this car. Needs more power!

chenshuo 02-17-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frostyman (Post 740966)
Let's be real here. I have YET to get a female to offer her "accompaniment" in exchange for a ride in this car. Needs more power!

more power in the car wont get you a female companion. big **** will.

mact 02-17-2013 10:08 PM

What made you want to push on your side vents? :iono:

I don't really see any of these as issues.

supramkivtt2jz 02-17-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mact (Post 741025)
What made you want to push on your side vents? :iono:

I don't really see any of these as issues.

Applying pressure when buffing out the haze from the wax.

And how do you not see the rear bumper cover as an issue? I feel like this thing was rushed to meet production.

mact 02-17-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by supramkivtt2jz (Post 741040)
Applying pressure when buffing out the haze from the wax.

And how do you not see the rear bumper cover as an issue? I feel like this thing was rushed to meet production.

I haven't looked under the car to see what it looks like yet, but bumper covers are just that, they cover the bumper. It's never really introduced to any stresses. Unless it gets blown off from the wind/drag i'm sure it's fine. Remember one of the goals of this car was to have it be light. It's not going to be built like a Bentley.

supramkivtt2jz 02-17-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mact (Post 741058)
Unless it gets blown off from the wind/drag i'm sure it's fine.

There-in lies my concern.

Burrcold 02-17-2013 10:37 PM

I think you're overreacting...

fistpoint 02-17-2013 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenshuo (Post 741008)
more power in the car wont get you a female companion. big **** will.

"Wallet" has six letters, not four :)

Eurasianman 02-17-2013 11:20 PM

Hah! That's what's warranty is for. You want to list real issues, buy a Chevy.

philstar 02-17-2013 11:24 PM

sounds like good ol jap crap! ^_~