Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine, Exhaust, Transmission (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Ceramic Coating on Header? (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67131)

ELutz04 06-02-2014 11:20 AM

Ceramic Coating on Header?

Hey guys,

So every time I'd look around for a ceramic coating debate, it always turns into people talking about why wrapping your headers are bad because it can start a fire.

I really have no interest in wrapping the headers, but I am about to order FA20Club catted UEL header. I want to know if it is really necessary to get the ceramic coating (for an additional $175 and ~2 weeks delay on shipping). I honestly don't care much for looks, and I don't drive my car all that hard. I am a pretty typical daily driver; I don't race, and I don't go on the track. I do, however, plan on keeping this car for a very long time, so I'd like all the parts to last.

Last question, and this is more ignorance than anything, but what are the gaskets? FA20Club offers gaskets for an additional $20.

Thanks!

Eric

Malt 06-02-2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELutz04 (Post 1772920)
Hey guys,

So every time I'd look around for a ceramic coating debate, it always turns into people talking about why wrapping your headers are bad because it can start a fire.

I really have no interest in wrapping the headers, but I am about to order FA20Club catted UEL header. I want to know if it is really necessary to get the ceramic coating (for an additional $175 and ~2 weeks delay on shipping). I honestly don't care much for looks, and I don't drive my car all that hard. I am a pretty typical daily driver; I don't race, and I don't go on the track. I do, however, plan on keeping this car for a very long time, so I'd like all the parts to last.

Last question, and this is more ignorance than anything, but what are the gaskets? FA20Club offers gaskets for an additional $20.

Thanks!

Eric

A better question is why are you ordering headers from FA20Club?! :barf:

Do yourself a favor and order them from some other vendor. As for ceramic coating, its not necessary on NA applications but its not going to hurt anything either. You'll need to replace the gaskets when you install your new header. Reusing the old ones will almost certainly lead to you having an exhaust leak.

1Cor10:23 06-02-2014 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELutz04 (Post 1772920)
Hey guys,

Thanks!

Eric

From what I've seen around the forums, I would also order elsewhere. Gaskets are pieces that go between exhaust pipe connections. In this case, the header connects to the engine and then to the over pipe (3 gaskets). The surfaces will never mate absolutely perfectly with metal-to-metal connections alone when they're just bolted - the gaskets are 'squished' in between to make a seal and prevent leaks.

Fear 06-02-2014 11:37 AM

If you are local to Ft lauderdale i can understand going with fa20club. If not, i hope you get what you ordered in a timely manner.

My order took 11 months to arrive in its entirety.

EAGLE5 06-02-2014 11:41 AM

The stories we've heard about FA20Club are terrible and probably criminal. I'd never order from them. You absolutely do NOT need to ceramic coat your headers. Total waste of money unless you're going turbo, and probably not worth the money even if you are.

wootwoot 06-02-2014 12:06 PM

I'm going to disagree and say ceramic coating is a good idea. If you look at the stock header, it is encased in a large metal heat shield to keep the header from radiating heat into the engine compartment. No after market header comes with a similar shield. Ceramic coating will help keep the engine compartment cooler by keeping more heat inside the piping. Consider it cheap insurance. The cooler you can keep things under your hood, the better, FI or not.

And never buy anything from FA20 Club!

gramicci101 06-02-2014 12:08 PM

@FT-86 SpeedFactory makes a catted UEL header. I'd definitely go with them before fa20club, after reading some of the horror stories about their quality.

ELutz04 06-02-2014 12:09 PM

Thanks for the advice guys. Only reason I thought FA20Club was because I want a catted uel header, and the only other company who I can find that makes it (that I really want to go with) FT86 speed factory, quoted me a 3 month wait time. FA20 only quoted me 1.5 weeks. From what it sounds like this is a VERY generous estimate, so I think I'll be a patient little BRZ owner and wait for the better product from Speed Factory. And I'll also nix the ceramic coating as well.

gramicci101 06-02-2014 12:13 PM

P&L makes a catted EL header, and the people on the forum that have them are very satisfied. You can select ceramic coating as an option when you purchase. They're EL though, and a few hundred more expensive than the FR-86SF header.

cdrazic93 06-02-2014 12:33 PM

Fa20club troll thread :slap:

quicksilver30 06-02-2014 12:50 PM

I am too still up in the air about ceramic coating. I have a place some what near me that will do it for $175 and a 2 week turn around. I wish we had temperatures from inside the engine bay with headers that are coated and some that aren't. I'm curious on how much of a difference it truly does make.

FR-S Matt 06-02-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quicksilver30 (Post 1773119)
I am too still up in the air about ceramic coating. I have a place some what near me that will do it for $175 and a 2 week turn around. I wish we had temperatures from inside the engine bay with headers that are coated and some that aren't. I'm curious on how much of a difference it truly does make.

If you are in a warm climate, I highly suggest it. Even then, I will still suggest it because it keeps more of the heat in the pipes and travelling out through the exhaust, hence reducing engine bay temps. If you also want your header to last a long time as well (4+ years), ceramic coating helps with that too.

My JDL UEL is touchable after a few minutes with gloves after a full drive and the car completely warmed up. When I bought my header, it was $900 then an additional $100 for the chrome ceramic coating, the other coatings were $75. Hell of a deal to turn down.

Churg 06-02-2014 01:32 PM

I'm going to agree with @FR-S Matt , I would definitely get your headers coated. I originally bought the headers with no coating at all, but after looking into it, you definitely want some way to get the heat to stay out of the engine bay. There isn't a good amount of ways the heat can escape the engine bay, so it's best to keep it as cool as possible.

My order through JDL was delayed by 3-5 days by adding the coating. Not that bad at all. Just my $.02

aznatama 06-02-2014 01:42 PM

I love my P&L catted EL header.

If anything, the ceramic coating will help it look more stock, in case you care about emissions and inspections. Also, a coated header will last longer, as well as help keep engine bay temps down. PL is the only company that has headers on the shelf, coated inside and out, and uses heavy duty piping. Get that if you're worried about longevity.