Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Software Tuning (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=88)
-   -   Tune for Daily Driver (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54240)

Nevermore 12-24-2013 03:11 PM

Tune for Daily Driver

Hey guys,

I looked around here a little and didn't see a thread specifically for this so I thought I'd make one. I was just wondering what tuning software is recommended for a daily driver. I'll list what I'm planning on putting on the car and what my general goals are for the tune and performance.

Mods:
FT-86 Speedfactory UEL Catted header.
Nameless resonated/catted downpipe/overpipe combo 2.5"
PERRIN Catback exhaust 2.5"
Injen intake (Or maybe a drop-in filter to save some money)

I mostly want the tune to make the vehicle as efficient as I can with these mods, while still keeping it operating right. I don't know much about tuning, just that it can be more efficient for the car. I don't want to do anything that can mess up the engine or damage it. Also not looking for an E85 tune. Is there anything that fits this? Nice, clean, efficient, but still with some gains.

This is a daily driven car and most likely won't see any tracks. It may, in the future, see auto-x, but that's nothing I'm planning right away.

Walla Walla 12-24-2013 03:43 PM

Right now I use OFT, and I don't have your mods, but I will install this winter a UEL header, and so far, I have no complain to do! and it is my daily drive!

If I would lend my car to someone, he wouldn't notice it's a modded car, he would just find it more powerfull than a standard model!

eddieEndo 12-24-2013 03:51 PM

subbed sounds like exactly what i need

WRB5titch 12-24-2013 04:04 PM

I too have the OFT and let me tell you, it's fantastic. First thing I noticed was the car ran much smoother, torque dip, while still present was barely noticeable. Overall drive-ability improved! Not only that, when/if you ever decide to try out e85 you can with ease! :burnrubber:

Daily Driven.
In case you're wondering my mods are Stock header/Nameless 2.5 axelback/TRD drop in filter

Quote:

Originally Posted by Walla Walla (Post 1409953)
Right now I use OFT, and I don't have your mods, but I will install this winter a UEL header, and so far, I have no complain to do! and it is my daily drive!

If I would lend my car to someone, he wouldn't notice it's a modded car, he would just find it more powerfull than a standard model!

Shiv@Openflash 12-24-2013 05:21 PM

Thanks for the recommendations :) OP- if you need more info on the OFT, you can visit the website at www.openflashtablet.com

Starting January, OFTs come pre-programmed so all you do is plug it in, press a button to read the stock ECU file and then another button to select what tuned file you want and then another button to flash your ECU. It is literally plug-n-play. There is no longer any need to connect to a laptop and manually upload a tuned file that you downloaded from the website (as currently described in the Getting Started tutorial video). If you have any questions, feel free to ask or email sales@vishnutuning.com. The office is open on Jan 2nd and I'm sure the guys won't take too long to catch up with emails :)

SloS14 12-24-2013 05:58 PM

OF MF'in T

Shagaliscious 12-24-2013 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu (Post 1410079)
Thanks for the recommendations :) OP- if you need more info on the OFT, you can visit the website at www.openflashtablet.com

Starting January, OFTs come pre-programmed so all you do is plug it in, press a button to read the stock ECU file and then another button to select what tuned file you want and then another button to flash your ECU. It is literally plug-n-play. There is no longer any need to connect to a laptop and manually upload a tuned file that you downloaded from the website (as currently described in the Getting Started tutorial video). If you have any questions, feel free to ask or email sales@vishnutuning.com. The office is open on Jan 2nd and I'm sure the guys won't take too long to catch up with emails :)

Will you still be able to download tune files with the pre-programmed ones? Or will you only be able to use the pre-programmed tunes?

Shiv@Openflash 12-24-2013 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shagaliscious (Post 1410194)
Will you still be able to download tune files with the pre-programmed ones? Or will you only be able to use the pre-programmed tunes?

Yes you will still be able to upload/download tune files from the download section of our website. You can write right over the tune files that were preloaded on the OFT.

mike_ekim1024 12-24-2013 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu (Post 1410206)
Yes you will still be able to upload/download tune files from the download section of our website. You can write right over the tune files that were preloaded on the OFT.

But the OFT doesn't do logging yet does it? Isn't it important to keep an eye on AFR, fuel trims, knock, etc? If you just preempt a button and drive, how do you know how it's working? I'm just curious, since I've been learning about my tune.

FrsDuke 12-24-2013 08:16 PM

It totally logs now

Nevermore 12-24-2013 08:21 PM

I'm very new to modding, what is this logging I keep seeing everyone talking about and how difficult/important is it to do and keep up with?

jamesm 12-24-2013 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevermore (Post 1410253)
I'm very new to modding, what is this logging I keep seeing everyone talking about and how difficult/important is it to do and keep up with?

you might pay someone else to change your tires, but you still check the pressure and tread depth every once in a while. it's kinda like that.

i'd say if you're paying for an e-tune or running an ots map, it's important to log initially and confirm everything is good to go, then maybe check it by reviewing a quick drive every so often, or when anything about your setup changes.

it's not something you have to do regularly once everything is known-good, but at the same time you do need to do it. the car isn't going to e-mail you if there's a problem.

Boofneenee 12-24-2013 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesm (Post 1410282)
you might pay someone else to change your tires, but you still check the pressure and tread depth every once in a while. it's kinda like that.

i'd say if you're paying for an e-tune or running an ots map, it's important to log initially and confirm everything is good to go, then maybe check it by reviewing a quick drive every so often, or when anything about your setup changes.

it's not something you have to do regularly once everything is known-good, but at the same time you do need to do it. the car isn't going to e-mail you if there's a problem.

What do you do with a tune if you do data log and find an issue? With all tunes, unless you know how to custom tune, you either leave the tune or flash back to stock. That sucks. Of course, you could always pay additional monies to customize your tune by a trained tuner. At least this way you know a pro is reviewing your logs specific to your car moda and tune. I hope OFT has plans to offer a service down the road.

FA20Club.com 12-24-2013 09:07 PM

No OTS map on this car can go without some sort of verification via logging. its best to go with a tuner that supports this as a viable option. And a detailed logging system is quite important.