Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59)
-   -   Spc front camber bolts benefits (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120480)

allowe 07-19-2017 01:16 PM

Spc front camber bolts benefits

Are there any significant benefits to using those on stock suspension?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

strat61caster 07-19-2017 01:35 PM

Yes. The suspension design means that the car requires a rather significant amount of static camber up front to give you maximum grip during cornering. Camber bolts (on this car) give you a modest increase in static camber which should have noticeable improvements in cornering grip on the front end with almost no downsides for minimal cost.

However if you've never thought to yourself "man I wish I had a bit more cornering grip" and think you never will then it will likely feel like money wasted.

Additional camber up front is required for any competitively autocrossing 86, especially the ones on stock suspension.

allowe 07-19-2017 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strat61caster (Post 2948228)
Yes. The suspension design means that the car requires a rather significant amount of static camber up front to give you maximum grip during cornering. Camber bolts (on this car) give you a modest increase in static camber which should have noticeable improvements in cornering grip on the front end with almost no downsides for minimal cost.

However if you've never thought to yourself "man I wish I had a bit more cornering grip" and think you never will then it will likely feel like money wasted.

Additional camber up front is required for any competitively autocrossing 86, especially the ones on stock suspension.

Haha actually I've always thought my car has no grip! On back roads it's amazing but I still slide around everywhere. I'm getting good tires soon but I was just wondering if adding these will make a difference. They're really cheap so it doesn't hurt to have them. I'm currently happy with the stock suspension and I don't want to lower it as I daily my car and pretty much plow through potholes rather than avoid them.

Oh do they wear out tires faster ? / any negatives?
Also, do I need just those bolts or are there other bolts that I need?

Anyways thanks for your reply!!

venturaII 07-19-2017 01:48 PM

Don't forget to get your car realigned after installation.

asdf 07-19-2017 01:49 PM

Install the camber bolts, get your car aligned, and go have fun!

allowe 07-19-2017 02:10 PM

You only need 1 set though right ? Do I need other bolts? I'm reading up about a crush bolt or something like that

asdf 07-19-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allowe (Post 2948267)
You only need 1 set though right ? Do I need other bolts? I'm reading up about a crush bolt or something like that

Only need the one set and you are good to go.

strat61caster 07-19-2017 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allowe (Post 2948267)

You have a few options on that front actually.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=103609

allowe 07-19-2017 04:20 PM

Do they have any negative consequences in using them tho? Like tire wear Etc

strat61caster 07-19-2017 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allowe (Post 2948375)

Read the link I posted.

Or I feel like I'm in the mood to procrastinate and spoon feed people so here it goes.

General consensus is that if you do a lot of freeway driving or like most people who daily their car 90% of it is on public roads never approaching the limits of traction that increasing camber much past -2.0 degrees will create noticeable inner shoulder wear. It may be noticeable even completely stock that the minimal camber already part of the car wears out the inner shoulder of the tire first. But if it's a weekend car that sees mostly hard driving you will actually improve tire wear as stock geometry will wear the outer shoulder of the tire.

You won't get that much camber with just bolts imo, but it's why I prefaced my suggestion about the car being driven hard. We're not talking about 'oh my tires only last 6 months now' we're talking about like a 5% or 10% decrease in tire life with reasonable amounts of camber (<-2.0).

lazyluka 07-19-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allowe (Post 2948375)

Almost no negative consequences, just get your wheel alignment to set you up with 0 toe up front. Rear can be 0 toe as well, but you may wish a tiny bit of toe in for stability.

Toe is the big tire killer if it's too far away from 0.

Oh, with the camber bolts, make sure you install them and set them for max camber, this is the safest and best way to set them up. You don't need to worry about fine tuning it for camber to be perfectly equal on both sides.

allowe 07-19-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyluka (Post 2948385)
Almost no negative consequences, just get your wheel alignment to set you up with 0 toe up front. Rear can be 0 toe as well, but you may wish a tiny bit of toe in for stability.

Toe is the big tire killer if it's too far away from 0.

Oh, with the camber bolts, make sure you install them and set them for max camber, this is the safest and best way to set them up. You don't need to worry about fine tuning it for camber to be perfectly equal on both sides.

Can't it be done without an alignment then? Basically seeing where it maxes out and tightening ? I did an alignment not too long ago https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...9134d5d1b5.png

lazyluka 07-19-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allowe (Post 2948387)
Can't it be done without an alignment then? Basically seeing where it maxes out and tightening ? I did an alignment not too long ago

Adding the camber will affect your front toe, so no I wouldn't do it without alignment.

allowe 07-19-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lazyluka (Post 2948389)
Adding the camber will affect your front toe, so no I wouldn't do it without alignment.

Thank you for that :)! And I don't touch the rear alignment right ?