Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Radium surge tank (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131137)

GrabTheWheel 10-31-2018 03:50 AM

Radium surge tank

Who has a surge tank setup? What has your experience been? I'd like better fuel filtration and to be able to track with less than half a tank.

CSG Mike 10-31-2018 05:06 AM

Are you ready to wear a fire suit every time you're in the car? Are you boosted? Ethanol?

A stock car on NA power with gasoline can run quite low.

nico_rsx 10-31-2018 11:53 AM

If you don't already have the Verus fuel flapper door, you could try it.
https://www.verus-engineering.com/pr...tarvation-door
There is a thread somewhere on this forum about it.

GrabTheWheel 10-31-2018 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 3150259)
Are you ready to wear a fire suit every time you're in the car? Are you boosted? Ethanol?

A stock car on NA power with gasoline can run quite low.

Car is far from stock it will have an LS3 crate motor running on MoTeC. I’m walking a fine line between street and track car for now. Eventually if California doesn’t want to let me drive it anymore it will be caged and towed to and from the track. You really think I can’t drive it without a fire suit? I’ve found the stock fuel filter to be inadequate so aside from being able to run hard down to empty I’d like some more peace of mind when it comes to the fuel being filtered.

GrabTheWheel 10-31-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nico_rsx (Post 3150349)
If you don't already have the Verus fuel flapper door, you could try it.
https://www.verus-engineering.com/pr...tarvation-door
There is a thread somewhere on this forum about it.

I’ve heard very mixed reviews on the fuel flapper.

Joesurf79 10-31-2018 02:47 PM

I still fuel starve towards the end of a session with the velox fuel flap door installed if I go out with less than 2/3 tank :(

It's not a cure-all.

GrabTheWheel 10-31-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joesurf79 (Post 3150436)
I still fuel starve towards the end of a session with the velox fuel flap door installed if I go out with less than 2/3 tank :(

It's not a cure-all.

That’s what I’ve heard. Thanks for your input. I’ll probably be going through half a tank in a 20 min session. So it sounds like a surge tank would almost be mandatory.

Joesurf79 10-31-2018 03:46 PM

yep. I go through a little more than a 1/4 tank per session. If I go out with a half tank or a hair more, I'll starve before the session is over.

nico_rsx 10-31-2018 10:18 PM

Well I think it works on NA+tune, but if you're swapping the engine for something that will use that much fuel, then no the flapper isn't going to be enough.

CSG Mike 11-01-2018 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel (Post 3150383)
Car is far from stock it will have an LS3 crate motor running on MoTeC. I’m walking a fine line between street and track car for now. Eventually if California doesn’t want to let me drive it anymore it will be caged and towed to and from the track. You really think I can’t drive it without a fire suit? I’ve found the stock fuel filter to be inadequate so aside from being able to run hard down to empty I’d like some more peace of mind when it comes to the fuel being filtered.

I would highly caution you against driving without a fire suit once you have a surge tank in the car. Aftermarket surge tanks are not built to OEM standards for resistance to the elements and even use. Even with race level maintenance, every race car driver will have a fire suit on, because the risk of fire is high enough to mandate it. When being driven hard, even the smallest failure in the system can lead to a catastrophic fire.

To put it in perspective, I would consider a fire suit to be higher priority over a HANS type device, or even air bags, with a surge tank. Imagine if someone hit you on the road, and a link just barely got kinked and springs a small drip. Things involving fuel and a lot of hot surfaces (and a car has a LOT of those), can get ugly very quickly.

GrabTheWheel 11-01-2018 03:59 AM

What about Radium's fuel pump hanger? Anyone have this?

GrabTheWheel 11-01-2018 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSG Mike (Post 3150692)
I would highly caution you against driving without a fire suit once you have a surge tank in the car. Aftermarket surge tanks are not built to OEM standards for resistance to the elements and even use. Even with race level maintenance, every race car driver will have a fire suit on, because the risk of fire is high enough to mandate it. When being driven hard, even the smallest failure in the system can lead to a catastrophic fire.

To put it in perspective, I would consider a fire suit to be higher priority over a HANS type device, or even air bags, with a surge tank. Imagine if someone hit you on the road, and a link just barely got kinked and springs a small drip. Things involving fuel and a lot of hot surfaces (and a car has a LOT of those), can get ugly very quickly.

Ok Mike, you've convinced me. Now can I drive without any starvation at least to a half tank with their fuel pump hanger? Being able to convert the oem returnless system to a traditional return system seems like it would be beneficial. It would also address the filtration issue.

Turbo 11-01-2018 04:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrabTheWheel (Post 3150385)
I’ve heard very mixed reviews on the fuel flapper.

Really? I haven't seen anything like this.

Turbo 11-01-2018 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joesurf79 (Post 3150436)

It's not a cure-all.

You sure it's installed correctly? No problems with your fuel pump?

I'm boosted and can practically run down to vapours without issue. I see close to 2G's cornering and consistently hit 1.4G's braking on the track.