Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB

Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/index.php)
-   AFRICA (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Warranty and Modifications (https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=130706)

Bakes86 10-08-2018 01:18 PM

Warranty and Modifications

Hi Guys

New to the Forum Recently purchased a 2014 Toyota 86 LTD (2 weeks back)

My Centre Console lights went off today and popped into the dealer where they repalced the fuse and problem solved however the technicain said there is a wierd noise coming from the back can he check it out? I have also heard this noise but thought it was normal anyway they said its the Gearbox and it needs stripping take note only 36000km done.

They then said will I be paying cash or card I said its still under warranty until 2020 they said unfortunatly there are modifications : Exhaust upgraded and Drift Handbrake button.

My Question is can they void the warranty on a component that has nothing to do with the other? If the engine blew 100% would accept the exhaust can play a role but not the transmission.

Having said that though will they mark the car as having a modification on the system, so down the road if return the car to stock and bring in again down the road for another issue will they say sorry you "had" modifications so warranty is Void?

Any feedback will be much appreciated!

PS South Africa Port Elizabeth

86 South Africa 10-08-2018 03:10 PM

My understanding is that if it’s unrelated parts (e.g no way an exhaust can impact a gearbox) then the warranty should stand.
But perhaps worth getting a proper legal opinion on this..?

Durrie 10-08-2018 06:47 PM

I have an upgraded exhaust and recently did a warranty claim on an unrelated part (in JHB). Maybe take it to another dealership for a second opinion.

You can download the toyota app and register your car to see what notes they made each time the car was brought in.

Bakes86 10-09-2018 04:56 AM

Thank you, Yeah just waiting on them to get back to me, Im glad others have had similar claims

:thanks:

sav 10-19-2018 01:04 AM

Sounds like a douchebag on a power trip. Did you buy the car from a Toyota dealership?

He's also cutting his nose to spite his face, the dealership would have been paid to do the work, now they're likely not getting the job.

Bakes86 10-22-2018 07:17 AM

Spoke to the Service manager he said they will not try help and will fix anything even with modifications, but if toyota sa sends an assessor there's nothing he can do and they will void the warranty on the gearbox due to the drifting handbrake :mad0260: